Odd thoughts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartan
    Well, I'm sitting here looking at a 12oz. can of Pepsi and thinking, that if a Carb has 4 calories to it per gram, then how can a can of Pepsi be 150 calories with 41g of Sugar/Carbs? I doubt Sodium (30mg) "subtracts" calories.
    Thoughts?

41x4 = 164

I looked up the nutrition facts for a 12oz can of coke. This is what I got:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Bottle
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 140 Calories from Fat 0 % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Sodium 50mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 39g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 39g
    Protein 0g 0%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 0.0% Carbs 111.4%
    Protein 0.0%
    How can you have 111% of something???

So either:

A: The companies is lying about the amount of calories, it really has about <20 more than it says. I don't think the FDA would go for that!

or

B: The sweetener recipe they are using has less calories than 100% sugar

So I just searched for other soda products, and they are all like that. This further leads me to beleive B.

Sugar.org FAQ:

How many calories in a teaspoon of sugar?
    A teaspoon of sugar has 15 calories.
    A teaspoon contains 4 g. But 4x4=16; and the 1 calorie difference does not make up for the difference in the soft drinks. Or does it???

41 / 4 = 10.6

164 - 10.6 (less calories because of the 15 cal vs. 16 cal sugar and carb) ...
    = 154

A HA!

Sorbitol (sugar alcohol) contains 2.6 calories per gram. This further leads me to beleive they are using a combination of real sugar and a source sweetener that has a different caloric content than the standard for carbohydrates. Sorbitol is a sweetener used in Diet Soda.

This would explain Diet Soda, and Pepsi "One" calorie - using sweeteners that are stronger than sugar but provide less cals.

But the list of ingredients in regular pepsi does not contain any other ingredients other than Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup, which according to Wikipedia contains 4cals per gram as well.

"The Pepsi-Cola drink contains basic ingredients found in most other similar drinks including carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, colorings, phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and natural flavors. "

Conclusion
    I've spent way too much time on this...
    Last edited by RenegadeRows; 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows

Conclusion

Avoid soda-esque products.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
        41x4 = 164

I looked up the nutrition facts for a 12oz can of coke. This is what I got:

How can you have 111% of something???

So either:

A: The companies is lying about the amount of calories, it really has about <20 more than it says. I don't think the FDA would go for that!

or

B: The sweetener recipe they are using has less calories than 100% sugar

So I just searched for other soda products, and they are all like that. This further leads me to beleive B.

Sugar.org FAQ:

A teaspoon contains 4 g. But 4x4=16; and the 1 calorie difference does not make up for the difference in the soft drinks. Or does it???

41 / 4 = 10.6

164 - 10.6 (less calories because of the 15 cal vs. 16 cal sugar and carb) ...
        = 154

A HA!

Sorbitol (sugar alcohol) contains 2.6 calories per gram. This further leads me to beleive they are using a combination of real sugar and a source sweetener that has a different caloric content than the standard for carbohydrates. Sorbitol is a sweetener used in Diet Soda.

This would explain Diet Soda, and Pepsi "One" calorie - using sweeteners that are stronger than sugar but provide less cals.

But the list of ingredients in regular pepsi does not contain any other ingredients other than Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup, which according to Wikipedia contains 4cals per gram as well.

"The Pepsi-Cola drink contains basic ingredients found in most other similar drinks including carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, colorings, phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and natural flavors. "

Conclusion
        I've spent way too much time on this...

lol, you got me all excited I was going to get an answer....

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

http://www.pepsi.com/pepsi_brands/pr...info/index.php

Pepsi (8 fl. oz)
          Contains: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS

Calories 100
          Total Fat (g) 0
          Sodium (mg) 20
          Potassium (mg) 10
          Total Carbohydrates (g) 28
          Sugars (g) 28
          Protein (g) 0
          Caffeine (mg) 25

This is the listing off their website. I see nothing that would say their "product" falls into the proper range of calories in relation to carbs.

28 carbs x 4 calories/carb = 112 total calories. Unless of course, high fructose corn syrup doesn't fall into that same line but I doubt that.

Ah, possible information found.

For a substance that inspires so much passion, high-fructose corn syrup, or HFCS, isn't much to look at.

The clear, gooey liquid comes about through a multi-step process that rearranges the molecular structure of corn starch to produce a supersweet syrup that's 90 percent fructose. It's then combined with regular corn syrup, which is 100 percent glucose, to produce a liquid about as sweet as sugar and with a similar composition.

Table sugar is half fructose, half glucose. High-fructose corn syrup comes in ratios of 55 percent fructose to 45 percent glucose, or 42/50, with some other sugars mixed in.
          If you take the 28 grams of sugars x the 4 calories per gram, you get 112 calories as we stated. However, if you take that 112 and multiply it by .90 (90% fructose you get 100.8 which could always be listed as 100 even.

With the 41 gram issue, it comes to 164 total calories or 147.6 after the 90%.

This could be complete bull but it seems to make some sense. If the company is only required to list the sugar/fructose content and not the glucose content then it's a fucked up scenario that a company can put crap in a can and call it whatever it wants.

Opinions or thoughts???

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

http://www.pepsi.com/pepsi_brands/pr...info/index.php

Pepsi (8 fl. oz)
            Contains: CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS

Calories 100
            Total Fat (g) 0
            Sodium (mg) 20
            Potassium (mg) 10
            Total Carbohydrates (g) 28
            Sugars (g) 28
            Protein (g) 0
            Caffeine (mg) 25

This is the listing off their website. I see nothing that would say their "product" falls into the proper range of calories in relation to carbs.

28 carbs x 4 calories/carb = 112 total calories. Unless of course, high fructose corn syrup doesn't fall into that same line but I doubt that.

Ah, possible information found.

If you take the 28 grams of sugars x the 4 calories per gram, you get 112 calories as we stated. However, if you take that 112 and multiply it by .90 (90% fructose you get 100.8 which could always be listed as 100 even.

With the 41 gram issue, it comes to 164 total calories or 147.6 after the 90%.

This could be complete bull but it seems to make some sense. If the company is only required to list the sugar/fructose content and not the glucose content then it's a fucked up scenario that a company can put crap in a can and call it whatever it wants.

Opinions or thoughts???

I came across this too. It's very possible.

Comment

I wonder if this comes into play at all:

*Packages containing more than one but less than two 8 fl oz servings may be labeled as one serving based on guidelines set by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

Comment

If the company is only required to list the sugar/fructose content and not the glucose content then it's a fucked up scenario that a company can put crap in a can and call it whatever it wants.

Opinions or thoughts???

carbs x calories should still match up in all these scenarios

Comment

Soda is bad period, why drink it? HFCS is very bad stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X