No announcement yet.

question: pre-natal supplements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the prenatal vits form Walmart they are good enough. And yes on the folic acid and calcium, just an fyi that folic acid is important if you are trying to get pregnant also and just in general for women.

How far a long is she? Her food cravings do change as time goes by. There are times when she physically can't eat. Just make sure she doesn't eat just Snickers and crap and all will be fine. She has to remember that what she eats effects the child so don't eat a lot of spicy food.

For the protein shakes make her some protein milkshakes.

Comment

I agree with almost everything said so far.

Definately don't let her eat shit....i hate it when pregnant women and their friends say shit like "you're so lucky you're pregnant, you can eat whatever you want!"

NO!! This is a time where the healthiest diet should be imposed. Not only for the baby and you, but if you're going to be too lazy to take the fat off....cuz it will be there.

Eat up! GOOD STUFF though.

And if she/you're buyin up supps, buy up some fenugreek now for when she's breastfeeding. Also, BN sells a pretty good prenatal vitamin, not as good as what my wife had prescribed, but good.

Ahh Jr. Aries runnin around....

muahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
        She refuses to drink protein shakes or eat protein bars... gahhh!!!!

she also hasn't been eatting much meat and chicken.. .and she doesn't eat sea food...

what do i do?
        the study i did my presentation on used protein shake supplementation in a region where the diet was not proper.. some S american country and an African country.. maybe even a few case studies in Hawaii

either way, the main thing was mothers that had higher rates of protein consumption prenataly (through the use of shakes) had much healthier/smarter babies overall

I am sure proper vitamin/mineral/nutrient amnts would help as much as well.

Comment

browndustin, meet me outside
          No problem, just let me send jaymdubbs a quick private message and I’ll be out there in a moment

*whistles innocently*

Comment

Now that I am almost done with my OB/Gyn rotation I actually have some useful info
            I hope you urge her to get proper prenatal care @ an OB b/c there are certain lab tests and studies that need to be run at variuos points in her pregnancy to assure a safe outcome for her and her baby.
            Prenatal vitamins are definitely a must, she can get a script for one from her OB or she can get one at the store . . . I'm not sure how standardized the ones at the stores are but . . .

Here are the recommendations from the Cleveland Clinic
            Look for one that contains approximately:

4,000 and 5,000 IU (international units) of vitamin A
            800 and 1,000 mcg (1 mg) of folic acid
            400 IU of vitamin D
            200 to 300 mg of calcium
            70 mg of vitamin C
            1.5 mg of thiamine
            1.6 mg of riboflavin
            2.6 mg of pyridoxine
            17 mg of niacinamide
            2.2 mg of vitamin B-12
            10 mg of vitamin E
            15 mg of zinc
            30 mg of iron

If she is not eating meat her requirement for ZN, Fe, and B12 go up
            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
              Now that I am almost done with my OB/Gyn rotation I actually have some useful info
              I hope you urge her to get proper prenatal care @ an OB b/c there are certain lab tests and studies that need to be run at variuos points in her pregnancy to assure a safe outcome for her and her baby.
              Prenatal vitamins are definitely a must, she can get a script for one from her OB or she can get one at the store . . . I'm not sure how standardized the ones at the stores are but . . .

Here are the recommendations from the Cleveland Clinic
              Look for one that contains approximately:

4,000 and 5,000 IU (international units) of vitamin A
              800 and 1,000 mcg (1 mg) of folic acid
              400 IU of vitamin D
              200 to 300 mg of calcium
              70 mg of vitamin C
              1.5 mg of thiamine
              1.6 mg of riboflavin
              2.6 mg of pyridoxine
              17 mg of niacinamide
              2.2 mg of vitamin B-12
              10 mg of vitamin E
              15 mg of zinc
              30 mg of iron

If she is not eating meat her requirement for ZN, Fe, and B12 go up
              About time you chime in and nice to ehar form you!

Comment

give her some Blue UP, or any vit a min that is of the pre-natal extraction.

Is this her first mistake not usin a conny, I mean kid?

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                  About time you chime in and nice to ehar form you!
                  sorry between my OB rotation and moving I've been one busy Dude . . . but yeah bad me
                  Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

sorry between my OB rotation and moving I've been one busy Dude . . . but yeah bad me
                    yeah, my wife is on overnight for peds rotation now so I am bored.
                    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                    Purple Psyko
                    Gold Feast
                    Blue Gene
                    Blue Growth
                    REDuction AM/PM Shots
                    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                    Orange TRIad
                    White Flood (5 Flavors)
                    Black Hole
                    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                    Green Bulge
                    White Blood 2
                    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                    Blue Up
                    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
                      yeah, my wife is on overnight for peds rotation now so I am bored.
                      The worst was this past weekend when I worked from 7a.m. Saturday until 8a.m. Sunday . . . the weather outside looked perfect Saturday and I was stuck inside dealing w/ pregnant women . Actually the work itself was not bad . . . I just would have rather been outside enjoying the weather.

Comment

The worst was this past weekend when I worked from 7a.m. Saturday until 8a.m. Sunday . . . the weather outside looked perfect Saturday and I was stuck inside dealing w/ pregnant women . Actually the work itself was not bad . . . I just would have rather been outside enjoying the weather.
                        yeah, the wife left this morning at 6 am and she will be back tomorrow at 12 noon. its gonna be a 30 hour day for her
                        REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                        Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                        Purple Psyko
                        Gold Feast
                        Blue Gene
                        Blue Growth
                        REDuction AM/PM Shots
                        REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                        Orange TRIad
                        White Flood (5 Flavors)
                        Black Hole
                        Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                        Green Bulge
                        White Blood 2
                        Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                        Blue Up
                        Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                        GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                        CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                        Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Got to hand it to them, they do some crazy shifts. Do you guys get to sleep at all?

Comment

start another thread.
                            www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

start another thread.
                              punk'd.

Comment

start another thread.
                                awe Mr. Aries is upset that the attention went away from him . . . poor guy

but to answer ddawgs question I typically get 4-5 hours of sleep unless I am on call then there is no sleep . . . not best for letting the body recover but I don't really have a choice at this point. Fortunately I love this stuff.

Ok now get back to the topic at hand prenatal vitamins in conjunction with proper prenatal care is essential for the gratest likelihood of an uncomplicated pregnancy. The most crucial period is from like 4-16wks when organogenesis (development of the organs) takes place. nutritional status is most important here.

Comment

Working...
                                X