Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make irish oats taste better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oat Powder > All others
    Back to the basics!

Comment

i've never had steel cut oats before - can they be eaten raw..?
      i have both oat bran and oat meal... the exact difference b/t them I'm not too sure of..???

Comment

i hate the taste of all oats, so the only way i consume is by blending them up to super fine powder, and mixing scoops into protein shakes.

~~ when I did eat oats, i used a huge scoop of peanut butter in them.

Comment

I started using the peanut butter idea, it works pretty well, the flavor isn't bad, it smells like a rice krispy treat, and if you just swallow ( ) and chase with water it goes done fine.
          Ht: 6'1"
          Wt: 200 lb.s
          BF: 20.4% (6/9/06)
          17% (8/2/06)
          Age 20

Disclaimer: The drunk posts of "Former_Fatkid" in no way represent the opinions of sober "Former_Fatkid", or any of his associates.

MY SUMMER OF HUGENESS BULK STACK LOG [ALMOST THE WHOLE CL STACK]
          http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=766

Comment

i used to enjoy pb + oats + milk for ahwile. after 3-4mon it got annoying again.

PB is great if you have ground flaxseed and want to mask that stuffs weird flavor, and PB is great in general! my fav part of the bb diet

Comment

Whoot! Scared the shit outta me

But yeah, rolled oats are steamed and rolled (and then repeated afaik) so you're loosing nutrients. I chop up my oats for the next few days so they're as fresh as possible. I wouldn't argue that some nutritional value could be lost, but I doubt that it makes a big difference.

I've found a great consistency for my oats. I love them. I gotta gets my oatz otherwise I get cranky

And yes asianbabe, you can eat them raw from what I've read. I haven't even bothered cooking steel oats because I don't see any point to it. They haven't given me any digestion issues (I think it might be HELPING) so I would say that you should munch away if you're looking for a clean source of calories and some extra fiber et al.

I'm an oat newbie though. Now I know why everyone rants about them so much. Really helping to clean the old diet up.

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
                Uh ohh. How so, Lancer??

I'm eatin them for the health benefits like clean calories and fiber... chopping them up doesn't take anything away from the nutritional value, does it?? And flipping things around, not cooking them isn't bad either is it? All I know is that this is my first encounter with steel cut oats and I love them this way, say it ain't so!

Since last week when I first bought a couple kilos, I've yet to cook them lol
                The point of Steel cut oats is they release insulin slower than rolled oats, and by griniding them up in a blender it makes them even worse at insulin response most likely worst than instant oats.

Comment

steel cut provides more calories than regular oats too

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                    steel cut provides more calories than regular oats too
                    Not really, look at the grams not the cup size

Comment

How much would grinding up steel cut oats really help to increase digestion as opposed to rolled oats? They’re steamed and rolled twice in most cases (quick oats, etc) so they’ll soften up a lot faster; I would assume digest easier as well.

With steel cut oats you can bust them up and they’re still hard as rocks. Are you sure it’s not an exaggeration to say that they’ll spike insulin potentially worse than instant oats? I’m in doubt, but if I’m incorrect then I would gladly invite a correction. Just trying to learn is all

I also did an experiment by chasing uncooked oats with water… not very good. It seems as if they just passed through my system because I found myself running to the rest room unexpectedly. I thought I heard pu mention that he chases oats with water… having a big bag of oats and a liter of water I measured out a half cup, slammed them in about 15 mouthfuls and found that they didn’t want to stick around for too long lol. Whoops

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
                        How much would grinding up steel cut oats really help to increase digestion as opposed to rolled oats? They’re steamed and rolled twice in most cases (quick oats, etc) so they’ll soften up a lot faster; I would assume digest easier as well.

With steel cut oats you can bust them up and they’re still hard as rocks. Are you sure it’s not an exaggeration to say that they’ll spike insulin potentially worse than instant oats? I’m in doubt, but if I’m incorrect then I would gladly invite a correction. Just trying to learn is all

I also did an experiment by chasing uncooked oats with water… not very good. It seems as if they just passed through my system because I found myself running to the rest room unexpectedly. I thought I heard pu mention that he chases oats with water… having a big bag of oats and a liter of water I measured out a half cup, slammed them in about 15 mouthfuls and found that they didn’t want to stick around for too long lol. Whoops
                        I would have to do some reasearch but the reason why Instant Oats are higher than just rolled oats is the fact they are cut smaller than regular oats to cook quicker.
                        Instant Oats= 66 GI Index
                        Rolled Oats= 55 GI Index
                        Steel Cut Oats= 40ish
                        Now instant oats are not ground up into a fine powder, which would make me think they would be higher

Comment

oats + whiskey

Comment

oats are the best cure for a hangover.. they suck up alcohol like a sponge.

Comment

Thanks for the response, Lancer. Much appreciated.

All in all though, oats rock eh. Portable, cheap as hell and versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                                oats are the best cure for a hangover.. they suck up alcohol like a sponge.

that advice belongs in Mens Health!!! next time i'm hung over im heading for the oats
                                Ht: 6'1"
                                Wt: 200 lb.s
                                BF: 20.4% (6/9/06)
                                17% (8/2/06)
                                Age 20

Disclaimer: The drunk posts of "Former_Fatkid" in no way represent the opinions of sober "Former_Fatkid", or any of his associates.

MY SUMMER OF HUGENESS BULK STACK LOG [ALMOST THE WHOLE CL STACK]
                                http://controlledlabsforum.com/showthread.php?t=766

Comment

Working...
                                X