Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
    those and van wilder's sequel
    Don't knock those, some are actually pretty damn funny.

And did I ask for a full summary, syllabus, deposition and anything else that may come to mind on caffeine? Don't believe so. Oh, and I'm sorry you go to Pitt. That may be part of your problem. Dan Marino syndrome? I wouldn't know since I graduated from the University of Illinois.

lol pu, Knockaround Guys?

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
      Actually not the nicotine itself, but the low-tech delivery system we call Ciggs...
      very true; but nicotine provides the abuse potential through activation of neurotransmitters in the reward pathway of the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
        very true; but nicotine provides the abuse potential through activation of neurotransmitters in the reward pathway of the brain.
        IMO, the abuse potential is because of the "rush" delivery system itself.

Originally posted by Par Deus
        It should be noted that the highly addictive quality of cigarettes lies not within its nicotine content, but rather its nicotine pharmacokinetics. Cigarettes provide an immediate jolt of nicotine to the CNS, resulting in almost instant gratification. Delaying nicotine gratification with the use of slower delivery mechanisms should aid minimizing addictive potential.

Comment

Group hug ?

Can we all agree to disagree or should we settle this in the street....

Get the camera!!!
          A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Group hug ?

Can we all agree to disagree or should we settle this in the street....

Didn't know Tommy did photo ops?

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

Current Supps:
            Purple Wraath
            Green Magnitude
            Orange Triad
            White Flood
            Blue Up
            100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

IMO, the abuse potential is because of the "rush" delivery system itself.
              true, but inhaled drugs are easily and rapid absorbed and dsitributed into the body. only intravenous administration really beats it..

nicotine in general reaches peak absorbation in about 8 seconds which is very rapid in terms of most other drugs.

easily passes all body barriers and is completely distributed.

It's inactived at about a 2-3hour rate, so if your truly addicted every 2.5 hours roughly you will crave a cigeratte.

the main issues is nicotines activation of the mesolimbic pathway (vta, nAcc, amygdala, frontal lobe(s), and basal ganglia) the increases in dopamine in this pathway is reason of abuse (provides euphoric/pleasurable feelings)

its the nicotine that makes the addiction, the tar and other additives that make cigerattes very toxic and detremental to ones health

par deus is pretty much wrong. nicotine is addictive. regardless of the content. more nicotine = more addiction, obviously. with the devliery system involved in cigerattes and smoked tobacco nicotine reaches the receptor sites of action in the brain very rapidly, increasing its effectiveness. once smoked, the nicotine and delivery sytem immediately distributes throughout the body. if administered through chewing tobacco the nicotine content that reaches the brain is much lower and slower absorbed due to the chewing processes and swallowing etc (some is taken up in mouth, some reaches stomach...)

and its not the complete CNS that provides addiction; it is solely the result of increased dopamine in the mesolimbic reward pathway, pleasure pathway, etc. (it has like 10 names which pissed me off all semester)

drugs that decrease dopamine in the reward pathway are drugs people hate taking, which give doctors annoying compliance issues, some of which are avoided through the use of slow released subcutaneous or intramuscular injections (this is greatly beneficial when treating patient with mental disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar, etc.)
              Last edited by jiritt0; 12-14-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

par deus is pretty much wrong.
                We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on that one

Comment

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on that one
                  I don't know what his background is but we spent like 2-3weeks talking about nicotine in my pharmacology class. which is offered was a 400 lvl class (undergrad + grad). I'll admit I don't have the best understanding of pharmacology or neuroscience; but from what I did pick up in the class I believe firmly that his thought isn't presented correctly.

maybe he was thinking along the lines of this;

Cigerattes are the most widely used form of nicotine,
                  cigs provide the quickest delivery/absorbation of nicotine,
                  cigs provide the most complete distribution of nicotine,
                  cigs also contain the lethal delivery system; which may ellicit behavioral actions itself...
                  therefore cigs and the delivery system are the most addictive forms of nicotine available?

I'm telling you, delaying the nicotine response won't lower the addicitive potential... 1g of nicotine weather it is chewed or smoked (without a delivery system) is going to ellicit the same actions in the brain..

adding the delivery system just speeds nicotines behavioral response.. ie speeding the tolerance, addiction, everything..

most users of slower forms of absorbation (chew, dip, snuff) switch to cigerattes if they become addicted to nicotine...just because its a quicker/easier way to get the nicotine

let me rephrase my earlier statement too... i think i have a really solid foundation of pharmacology, maybe not so strong in neuroscience [never took it as the prereq for pharmacology] I just struggeled in the class because of my lack of neuroscience .. i loved the drug information and learning about it, just sucked at remembering specifics of the brain come test time. lol
                  Last edited by jiritt0; 12-14-2006, 03:22 PM.

Comment

1g of nicotine weather it is chewed or smoked (without a delivery system) is going to ellicit the same actions in the brain..
                    Isnt there only 9mg of nicotine in a cigerette? But the smoker only gets 1mg because the rest is burned off.
                    Last edited by RenegadeRows; 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
                      Isnt there only 9mg of nicotine in a cigerette? But the smoker only gets 1mg because the rest is burned off.
                      maybe, theres an extremely low amount, i know that. i just made a # up. im sure it also depends on the cigeratte brand, type, flavor, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
                        Didn't know Tommy did photo ops?

LMAO, i get that shit ALL the time.......
                        Faith is the substance of things hoped for......HEBREWS

Comment

I'm telling you, delaying the nicotine response won't lower the addicitive potential... 1g of nicotine weather it is chewed or smoked (without a delivery system) is going to ellicit the same actions in the brain..
                          Not a problem man.. people disagree all the time. I'm very open minded so you could be right. As of right now, I strongly disagree but more importantly it doesn't matter because I'm not using nicotine. (it was incredible for cutting).
                          Last edited by pu12en12g; 12-16-2006, 01:57 AM.

Comment

i havent quit cigs for a long time tho ive been trying forever. back in the day i was real bad, 1 pack of newports a day style. i bought apack last night at like 230am.. it was a poor decision but i was obliverated.. first pack i bought in a few weeks which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommygnz
                              LMAO, i get that shit ALL the time.......
                              Should use that if hot chicks are thinking you are. I would.

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Theodore Sturgeon

Comment

Controlled Labs :Armageddon: