PW question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW question

Does use of PW negate, or lessen, the amount of pre-, during-, and post- protein you need to intake?

For instance, 2-scoops in 24 oz of water, drink half prior to workout, and the remainder during workout. Would it still be beneficial to down a pre- shake an hour before, and a post- shake 30 minutes or so after?

I'm trying to come up with a decent stack of supps that's going to be cost efficient--and PW does seem to be that, and so does GM. But when you add up: fish oil, vitamins, protein powders, PW, GM, well, it all adds up (obviously).

If PW would alleviate some, if not all, of the need for whey, then that'd just rock!

Originally posted by davejlowe
    Does use of PW negate, or lessen, the amount of pre-, during-, and post- protein you need to intake?

For instance, 2-scoops in 24 oz of water, drink half prior to workout, and the remainder during workout. Would it still be beneficial to down a pre- shake an hour before, and a post- shake 30 minutes or so after?

I'm trying to come up with a decent stack of supps that's going to be cost efficient--and PW does seem to be that, and so does GM. But when you add up: fish oil, vitamins, protein powders, PW, GM, well, it all adds up (obviously).

If PW would alleviate some, if not all, of the need for whey, then that'd just rock!
    Well, mostly it depends if you're getting your protein from other sources?

Protein shakes just make it much easier for all of us to get protein quicker, and have it absorbred quicker.

For example if you're eating brown rice/red meat 1.5hrs before you workout, then no you probably dont need it, but post workout would be very important.

Take a look at your diet, and see if you're getting enough protein, if not, then throw the shake in the mix, if yes, then pitch that sob
    A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Best thing is to calculate your daily intake of protein and then you can judge changes to be made in that area. I wouldn't just say because you take PW, that you'd remove a shake and yes, I feel you money wise but that Whey is still one of the most important supps.
      Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
      US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Ok, I guess I'm not completely understanding things, then.

I thought that protein is broken down in the body into various amino acids--regardless if it's an egg or hunk of chicken or a whey isolate shake being broken down.

Isn't the idea behind PW simply to allow for the amino acids to more directly be used by the body? Sort of cut out the middle man?

Would that result in (following numbers totally made up, but you get the idea): 1 scoop PW equivalent to 2 whole-eggs-broken-down-amino-acid-content? Of course, the egg would have many other nutritional bonuses, but as far as aminos go, doesn't it boil down to an amino acid is what it is, regardless of how it started life?

Comment

I think the most important thing you need to realize is the protein content, anything involving AA's is just an added bonus.
          A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Ok, I guess I'm not completely understanding things, then.

I thought that protein is broken down in the body into various amino acids--regardless if it's an egg or hunk of chicken or a whey isolate shake being broken down.

Isn't the idea behind PW simply to allow for the amino acids to more directly be used by the body? Sort of cut out the middle man?

Would that result in (following numbers totally made up, but you get the idea): 1 scoop PW equivalent to 2 whole-eggs-broken-down-amino-acid-content? Of course, the egg would have many other nutritional bonuses, but as far as aminos go, doesn't it boil down to an amino acid is what it is, regardless of how it started life?

EAA's contain aminos that aren't produced naturally in the body. Some foods don't contain all the EAA's and therefor are considered "incomplete protein sources". Not to mention, you'd have to eat alot of protein to get the amount of aminos you would get from free form supplementation.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
              EAA's contain aminos that aren't produced naturally in the body. Some foods don't contain all the EAA's and therefor are considered "incomplete protein sources". Not to mention, you'd have to eat alot of protein to get the amount of aminos you would get from free form supplementation.
              So, based on this, would my original premise be accurate? That taking EAAs actually does substitute for a protein shake?

Comment

So, based on this, would my original premise be accurate? That taking EAAs actually does substitute for a protein shake?
                Like Seth said, the amount of protein is the issue. Free form EAAs can increase protein synthesis, but would only be complimented via a protein-rich diet/daily intake. With protein powders, you can't fine tune the amino acid profile like you can with uncoupled aminos. Whey provides basic aminos needed by the body to function properly. short, a lot of whey protein can ultimately turn into a waste product (urea), whereas essential aminos are used by the body. Efficiency is one difference. The other main difference is that essential aminos in "uncoupled" forms can exert specific pharmacological and physiological benefits.

Whey protein is typically about 45% essential aminos and 55% non-essential aminos.

Plus with whey, the bonds that hold the aminos together must be broken down through the digestive process. As whey protein is digested, many of the aminos get deaminated and ultimately converted to urea, a waste product.

Comment

It certainly sounds like it might be best not taking pre- and post- protein shakes -- using a comprehensive amino acid supp at those times would be far more beneficial.

For the rest of the day, I'm sure you'd want complete, whole food protein sources, as these will have additional, non-protein, nutrients that you need.

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
                  Like Seth said, the amount of protein is the issue. Free form EAAs can increase protein synthesis, but would only be complimented via a protein-rich diet/daily intake. With protein powders, you can't fine tune the amino acid profile like you can with uncoupled aminos. Whey provides basic aminos needed by the body to function properly. short, a lot of whey protein can ultimately turn into a waste product (urea), whereas essential aminos are used by the body. Efficiency is one difference. The other main difference is that essential aminos in "uncoupled" forms can exert specific pharmacological and physiological benefits.

Whey protein is typically about 45% essential aminos and 55% non-essential aminos.

Plus with whey, the bonds that hold the aminos together must be broken down through the digestive process. As whey protein is digested, many of the aminos get deaminated and ultimately converted to urea, a waste product.

Comment

It certainly sounds like it might be best not taking pre- and post- protein shakes -- using a comprehensive amino acid supp at those times would be far more beneficial.

For the rest of the day, I'm sure you'd want complete, whole food protein sources, as these will have additional, non-protein, nutrients that you need.

I always opt for carbs + protein shake post workout, but EAA is a great choice for pre w/o.

Comment

On the right track now ... emphasis on pre / during training.

Comment

Working...
                      X