This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday May 17th Day 137

Todd and Aaron had to train at 10am today, and I had to train/workout with my aspiring bodybuilding client Rita at 10am today, so I hit my workout up right after and got all pumped up watching Todd and Aaron do suspended Squats. Strength is definitely on the decline systemically at this point in prep, which doesn't surprise or bother me...what can you do? Your best. That's all you can ever do.
    Also got update from layne, adding 10 mins to all LISS sessions...relatively small change so I must be more or less on track BUT that means that my second session today will be 50 minutes since my first was only 30 (got the update after my workout).

Nutrition

990 14.8 106.9 110.4 (3 meals left, working on 55/170/265)

Training

LISS x 2, Legs, warm ups excluded

LISS 1:Treadmill
    30 minutes speed 4.2 incline 3

Suspended Squats
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    335 x 2
    345 x 1
    275 x 6

Single Leg Cybex Leg Press
    3 plates/side x 6 (4 sets)

Barbell Alternating Lunges SUPERSET Seated Hamstring Curl
    135 x 12//180 x 12
    135 x 12//195 x 12
    135 x 12//210 x 12

Donkey Calf Raise
    340 x 10
    380 x 8
    420 x 7
    460 x 6
    500 x 5

LISS 2:
    Will be taking a walk later tonight with my wife, normally it'd be a power walk, but I'll just put on ankle weights to make up for the speed since I'd rather spend some time with her than have her jogging after me as I speed walk lol. She'll probably walk with me for half the time, then I'll keep going.

Misc

I can smell the dream tan....
    Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Monday May 18th Day 138

Trained only one client today, the others switched days on me, then I spent the rest of the day getting a new knock sensor put in my car...free...thank god for warranty, and doing some VA paperwork to get my GI Bill going again for school. Had a GREAT workout today, friggin awesome, lots of energy, and found some really good minor posing tweaks that I will unveil next pic set

Nutrition

2,192 51.7 170.6 262.1

Training

Shoulders and Arms, HIIT, warm ups excluded

Seated DB Shoulder Press
      75's x 8, 6
      60's x 12 (2 sets)

Right Arm DB Forward Raise SUPERSET Standing DB Laterals (strict)
      25lbs x 12, 10, 10, 8//25's x 15, 15, 12, 12

Seated Bent Over Rear Delt Flys
      45's x 12, 10, 8, 8

DB Skull Crushers
      40's x 7
      40's x 6 (3 sets)

Barbell Curls (barely any rest, todd and I just alternated, PUMP!)
      95lbs x 12, 10, 7, 5

Rope Pushdowns (again, just alternating, another awesome pump)
      120 x 12, 8
      100 x 12, 12 DROP 70 x 7

Double Arm DB Hammer Curls SUPERSET Single Arm DB Overhead Extension
      50's x 10//25 x 10
      45's x 10//25 x 10
      40's x 10//25 x 10
      35's x 10//25 x 10

HIIT
      Arc Trainer: 5 minute warm up resistance 37
      6 intervals 15sec/45sec resistance 37/72
      Tetrix Stair Climber: 5 intervals 15sec/45sec speed 45/180 (wowzers quad burn!)
      StairMill: 5 intervals 15sec/45sec speed 10/20 nearly didn't make this I was so wiped, AWESOME HIIT!
      Cooldown on treadmill for 15 mins speed 3.2 incline 2

Misc

upper body is getting pretty crazy ripped, cross striations in the tricep in the right lighting....shoulder vascularity that I didn't know I had when doing bicep curls...forearms spider veins, all kinds of delt striations and separation...good shit
      Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Tuesday May 19th Day 139

Trained a couple clients today, worked on registering for classes and getting all my transfer credit accounted for, and had a brutal HIIT session.

Nutrition

1,788 40.0 144.9 213.1 (1 meal left, end day target 55/170/265)

Training

HIIT:
        Arc Trainer: 5 minute warm up resistance 40
        8 intervals 15sec/45sec resistance 40/75
        Stair Mill: 10 intervals 15sec/45sec speed 10/20
        Tetrix Stair Climber: 5 intervals 15sec/45sec speed 45/180
        Cooldown on treadmill for 15 mins speed 3.4 incline 2.5

lungs were a burning!

Misc

Massage tomorrow
        Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Wednesday May 20th Day 140

Woke up and got a GREAT and much needed massage this morning. Trained 3 clients today, wrote some programs, and called a few new clients to get them scheduled. Cleaned the house since the in laws are gonna be here this weekend, and hit up a really really good Upper Power workout with some LISS and GPP....the strength had dipped a bit....but I'm holding it steady baby. Refeed today, feeling quite satiated .

Nutrition

2,098 34.7 255.6 191.9 (1 meal left, end day target 50/295/240)

Training

Upper Power, LISS and GPP

Flat DB Press
          110's x 6 (4 sets)

T-Bar Row (45lb plates)
          4 plates +25lbs x 5 (5 sets)

Seated DB Press
          80's x 5
          80's x 3 oops, foot slipped
          80's x 4 (3 sets)

TRI SET
          Close Grip Lat Pulldown//Decline Bench Press//Standing DB Lateral Raises
          220 x 8//225 x 8//40's x 8
          220 x 8//225 x 8//40's x 8
          210 x 8//205 x 8//40's x 8

20 minutes GPP
          Cycled Through the following:
          Spin Bike
          12kg KB Swings
          16kg KB Swings
          Ice Skaters
          Plyo Box Jumps

20 minutes LISS
          Treadmill speed 4.3 Incline 6.5

Misc

Gym Closes at 12:30 on saturday, and is closed sunday and monday...we'll have to hit up my work after hours...
          Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Thursday May 21st Day 141

Trained 4 clients today, and had some email convo with layne resulting in the 10g drop in carbs and fat. Knocked out a grueling HIIT session, and spent some time doing some visualization for what I want to bring to the stage in 4 weeks, and spent some time letting go of doubt, and reaffirming what I want...why I'm doing this...and remembering that although this get challenging...that its the overcoming of the challenge that makes this sport so rewarding.

Nutrition

2,081 43.0 159.9 263.6

Training

HIIT, assymetry training, abs, RCs

HIIT:
            Tetrics Stair Climber
            5 minute warm up speed 45
            18 intervals 15 sec sprint, 45 sec recovery speed 190/45
            StairMill
            5 intervals 15 sec sprint, 45 sec recovery speed 10/20
            15 minute cooldown speed 3.3 incline 2.5

4 sets r shoulder
            3 sets r lat
            4 sets external rc
            4 sets internal rc
            6 sets abs

Misc

did some posing in the bathroom after the workout, despite all the head games...I can see progress...I am moving forward
            Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Friday May 22nd Day 142

Woke up, knocked back some oats and rice ***** and turkey, and drove out to the track and did 16 intervals of hill runs and a walk/jog cooldown. Man I was out of breath, bent over huffin and puffing and walking with my eyes closed hands over my head in a spiral pattern after that last sprint....hell after the 11th sprint! PUT IN WORK!
              Then I went home, downed some more oats, baked pita chips and turkey, and drove out to a clients home and trained her and her sons, lot of fun, great clients.
              My in laws are in town through monday also, so I got home right when Barb had to go to work, and I went out with my in laws and we saw terminator. Good movie...not great, but good.
              My 7-keto also arrived today (with another thing of dream tan #2) and I'm one dose in, doing the 200mg/day, 2 100mg dosings spread out. Wearing ankle weights too....I'm doing everything in my power folks!
              Tomorrow we got a refeed, 2 cardio sessions and chest and back, I'm excited!

Nutrition

2,097 44.4 159.4 264.9

Training

HIIT

HIIT:
              Sprints
              5 minute warm up walk, jog and sprint drills
              16 intervals 80 yard sprint to base of hill, 20 yard sprint up hill, then walk back
              15 minute cooldown walk 8 minutes, jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes to car.

Misc

Sprints, 7 keto, terminator....all in all a good day
              Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Wednesday May 27th Day 147

Went to work today, but just for the team meeting. Updated some programs and went over the details of my clients' needs and periodization and nutrition with the other trainers who are covering my people. Then Barb and I went over to a little graduation pool party for a friend of ours and I got in the pool....and man, I need to do more of that, i could do all kinds of stuff I can't do when held back by the full force of gravity, and I was WAY less stiff and more mobile afterwards.
                Walking is resembling walking more and more and shuffling less and less, I haven't used the crutches at all today, and I had a really good back and bis workout

Nutrition

2,000 28.7 239.8 196.7 (1 meal left, end day target 40/285/240)

Training

Back and Bis Hypertrophy, warm ups excluded

Hammer Grip Chins
                BW x 15, 12, 10, 8

HS Row
                2 plates +25/side x 12 (4 sets)

Paramount Rotary Lat Pulldown Machine
                205 x 12
                220 x 12
                235 x 12
                250 x 10

Seated Cable Row (I adjusted the foot position as close to me as possible and used it as a knee pad instead of a foot pad, slick eh?)
                140lbs x 15 (3 sets)

Back Extension Machine (this is gonna be a buddy of mine since I won't be deadlifting anytime soon...its a cool machine you can set it so it has the majority of resistance at the beginning, middle or end of the lift)
                150lbs x 15 (resistance at middle)
                170lbs x 12 (end)
                170lbs x 8 (beginning)

HS Seated Shrugs
                3 plates/side x 15 (3 sets)

Incline DB Curls, Alternating
                40's x 8
                35's x 7
                30's x 8 (2 sets)

Cable Rope Curls
                140lbs x 8
                120lbs x 8
                100lbs x 8 DROP 60lbs x 8
                90lbs x 8 DROP 50lbs x 8

Misc

just let layne know the good news about the rower, can't wait to hear back about how I should work that in...I'd imagine I could do too much since we want to preserve the upper mass...we'll see what he says
                MRI tomorrow at 5pm!
                Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Thursday May 28th Day 148

Been eating a lot of veggies lately, I bought mung beans, snow peas, broccoli, lettuce, red cabbage, red onion, green, yellow, red and orange peppers, tomato, and cucumber. I've been having the most delicious egg beaters omellettes and salads with fat free dressing. And, I've been satiated
                  I've been trying to get the majority of my carb intake from veggies except pre and post workout just because...hell...I can't do much in the gym, so I figure why not tweak the little shit in my diet. I had a HUGE salad last night, and I've been making some massive omelletes.
                  I also had my MRI today, took like 90 minutes and my sciatic nerve was bugging the crap out of me the whole time since I couldnt move my leg at all....I was in pain for the whole time...that took some focus to stay still...lol.
                  But, its done and I'll know tomorrow the results. In other good news I did legs and shoulders today and I am QUITE pleased with what my bum leg can do...adductor machine, abductor machine, leg extensions (light for now), seated calf raises, and standing calf raises (bodyweight for now)...I am really stoked about rehabbing it

Nutrition

2,042 44.4 159.7 262.4

Training

Shoulders and Legs Hypertrophy, warm ups excluded

Seated Arnold Press
                  60's x 10 (2 sets)
                  60's x 8 (2 sets)

Standing Lateral Raises
                  35's x 10 (4 sets)

Rear Delt Deck
                  150lbs x 10 (4 sets)

Paramount Rotary Shoulder Press
                  160 x 10
                  130 x 14
                  115 x 12 DROP 85 x 5

Single Leg Leg Extension
                  L: 50lbs x 25, 60lbs x 25, 70lbs x 25 (really have to focus to not over do ROM or come too fast down on the negative and tweak the hammie)
                  R: 100lbs x 15, 110lbs x 15, 120lbs x 15

Adductor Machine
                  120lbs x 15 (3 sets)

Abductor Machine
                  150lbs x 15 (3 sets)

Seated Calf Raise (lots of focus to not engage hammie, will have to stay lighter for a while)
                  100lbs x 10, 15, 20

Anterior Tib Raise Machine
                  25/side x 8
                  10/side x 15
                  15/side x 15

Single Leg Leg Press Right Leg Only SUPERSET Standing Single Leg Leg Curl Right Leg Only
                  2 plates/side x 15 (3 sets)//70lbs x 12 (3 sets)

BW Calf Raise
                  35 reps both feet together
                  25 reps both feet together
                  20 reps each leg separate

Misc

I'm bringing my doc/client the MRI scans tomorrow when I go to her house and train her, and she's gonna check them out and check out my leg and we'll know the full prognosis, I am fully confident its going to be good news.
                  Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Friday May 29th Day 149

Well the MRI results show I've got a tear at the tendon at the ischial tuberosity, looks to be mainly in the tendon area of the semitedinosus, what that means is that its very hard to tell due to the proximity of the tear to the origin whether or not this is a complete or partial tear...if it is a complete tear it means the tendon is still VERY close to the rest of itself that it tore from, and most likely will not need surgery because it can scar tissue back up, reconnect and heal...if its partial, which is more likely, it will also heal on its own...the only things we need to be sure of, is the distance if its a complete tear, if its greater than 2cm it will need surgery, and if its partial, making sure there aren't any defects, ie tissue in the way of the healing process...so my main doc is pretty damn sure I don't need surgery, from palpating she can feel the tendons where they should be and the muscle contracting, and from the proximity of the tear she thinks its most likely partial, and from my ability to move she thinks its most likely partial...BUT, just to be sure she wants me to see this good orthopedic surgeon she knows for a consult, have him dig around in there, look at the MRI scans and give a second opinion...most likely he'll say the same that I don't need surgery but we want to be sure. This app is monday morning, so we wait.

Today was an off day, just hit my calories...layne won't let me do cardio yet lol.

Nutrition

2,019 45.0 158.7 261.7

Training

off

Misc

3 weeks out tomorrow...I'm chomping at the bit to drastically reduce my carbs and start doing some cardio again....I REFUSE to show up in the same condition as I was at my last show I don't care wtf is going on with my leg.
                    Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Saturday May 30th Day 150

I am definitely refilling glycogen stores, and seeing a steady rise in weight with as far as I can tell no significant change in conditioning. My hunger levels are dropping, my lethargy is gone, my strength in the gym is up, and in general I feel better. Like I previously mentioned I am also incorporating a lot more vegetables into my diet as a part of my carb sources, and thus have more bulk and more water in my system, and this could be a part of the weight gain, its hard to be sure. But I'm not worried about it.
                      Fat is going down 10g, carbs are going up 5g. I believe I may also be instructed to start on cardio also, we'll see after I take pictures tonight when Barb gets off work and I send Layne my weigh ins.

Nutrition

1,228 17.6 161.9 106.1 (3 meals left, end day target: 30/290/240)

Training

Chest and Tris Power, warm ups excluded

Decline Bench
                      275 x 4 (4 sets)

Close Grip Bench Press
                      225 x 3
                      225 x 3 + 1 (woops, thought I had a 4th, but need a little spot at my stick)
                      205 x 5 (2 sets)

Incline Bench Press
                      185 x 5 (4 sets)

Paramount Rotary Chest Press Machine
                      250 (stack) x 7 (3 sets)

Tricep Pushdowns
                      190 x 7 (3 sets)

Misc

I actually decided to skip the posing class today, I think it'd be a little too aggressive thus far, but I will go next weekd it will really let me know whether or not I can do this show. Pictures tonight will also give me a good idea.
                      Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Sunday May 31st Day 151

Woke up, ate some veggies and rice, turkey and a rice cake with Better n' peanut butter on it, grabbed my workout gear and pre workout supps and headed out to powerhouse to train my close friend, doctor, and client who has been AMAZING through this injury. Took her and her eldest son (both branching out into bbing training) through a lower hypertrophy workout and then we went over some rehab stuff for my leg...I need to get my ass in the pool more, and I need to do some specialized self massage and stretching to work out the hematomas that have taken up residence in the belly of my hammie since the tear so they don't scar up into the belly of the hammie and cause inflexibility down the line. Then Barb showed up and we had a rocking Back and Bis power workout

Nutrition

1925 4.0 105.1 117.7 (3 meals left, end day target: 35/165/265)

Training

Back and Bis Power, warm ups excluded

Weighted Pull Ups
                        +45lbs x 5 (4 sets)

Seated Alternating DB Curl (strict)
                        60's x 4
                        55's x 5
                        50's x 6 (2 sets)

HS Iso Row
                        4 plates/side x 5 (4 sets)

Smith Machine Shrugs
                        4 plates/side x 8 (3 sets)

V-Grip Charles Glass/Kai Greene Lat Pulldown
                        200lbs x 6
                        210lbs x 6 (3 sets)

Paramount Back Extension Machine, adjustable ROM load preference, each set changes, 1st set middle rom, 2nd end, 3rd beginning
                        170lbs x 8 (3 sets)

Misc

This is just one pic, but I can pretty much hit all the mandos...only thing is I can't fully contract the left hammie in the rear relaxed...besides that so far so good...AND I've got 3 weeks before it really matters

3 weeks out!
                        Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Monday June 1st Day 152

Had my surgical consult this morning, it went great, surgeon was extremely impressed with my healing process and my muscle mass and said I'd be back up to speed on lifting in 6 weeks, he said, its actually a bad tear...but I would not benefit from surgery, and after rehabing it I'll be back to 100%, no defects, no problems whatsoever. Also my fiirst day back at work, and man my leg is healing fast, I was able to train and demonstrate most exercises, and my gait is almost normal again.
                          Went to the gym and was able for the first time to do a bunch of rehab stuff with my left leg I couldnt just yesterday! I hopped on the treadmill today, for about 10 mins waiting for my workout partner (where ya at todd?), and then I realized...holy crap I'm walking on the treadmill lol. Oh, and my strength after a week of refilling my glycogen stores (ie sitting on my ass lol) is UP.

Nutrition

1,665 25.9 143.0 217.9 (3 meals left, end day target: 35/165/265)

Training

Shoulders Power, Legs, warm ups excluded

Seated Shoulder Press
                          80's x 5 (4 sets)

Standing Lateral Raise (surprisingly strict for weight)
                          50's x 6 (4 sets)

Rear Delt Deck
                          180lbs x 6 (2 sets)
                          180lbs x 5 (2 sets)

Rehab Leg Work:
                          Standing BW Leg curls 3 sets
                          One Legged Glue Raise 3 sets
                          Step Ups, 2 foot block 3 sets
                          Partial Squats across Bosu 2 sets

Dual Leg Training Non Rehab:
                          Leg Extensions 5 sets (worked up to stack +5lbs x 10)
                          Glue Kicks 3 sets (stack x 10)
                          Standing Calf Raises 4 sets (worked up to 450 x 10)

Right Leg Only Training:
                          Single Leg Standing Leg Curl 3 sets (80lbs x 8, 6, 6)
                          Single Leg Leg Press 3 sets (3 plates/side x 5)

Misc

3 weeks!!!
                          Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Are you taking Blue Gene?
                            laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• Originally posted by bull.dogz View Post
                              Are you taking Blue Gene?
                              yes and it rocks my socks! Cissus after an injury is GOOD!

Wednesday June 3rd Day 154

Man am I loving work, much more confident in there...don't have the nervousness I used to get with new clients and that nagging "will I be good enough?" question anymore and when it does pop up...I know the answer
                              Trained 5 clients today, had my refeed which rocked my socks, had some trader joes briyani curried vegetables and rice, a bunch of sweet potato, some original puffins, and a trader joes udon rice bowl, and I'll be having some brocolli and walden farms ranch, some fresh blackberries, and a rice cake with some sunflower seed butter tonight...been getting my veggies and fruit in ma!
                              GREAT chest and tris workout with my wife, barb has been a kick ass workout partner, its great to have somebody who's been with me every step of the way through my trials this last year, and she don't mess around with the weights either!
                              Did some posing practice afterwards, and man my hamstrings (well hamstring lol, one is all swelled up and soft looking) are looking sick, also got some quad cross striations, even though they aren't separated ALL the way, which means when they are...look out! Upper body is looking even tighter, tris are coming in. I'm back at 188 and looking leaner and fuller than last time at 188...I think another 2lbs of fat are gonna say bye bye before the Mr Cal

Nutrition

2,324 28.6 285.6 235.8

Training

Chest and Tris Power, warm ups excluded

DB Chest Press
                              95's x 12, 10, 8

Close Grip Bench Press
                              185lbs x 8
                              175lbs x 9
                              165lbs x 10

Incline Bench Press
                              155lbs x 10 (3 sets)

Seated Overhead DB Tricep Extensions
                              85lbs x 9
                              80lbs x 10
                              75lbs x 12

Decline Bench Press
                              205lbs x 12
                              195lbs x 11
                              185lbs x 11 + 1

Cable Tricep Pushdowns SUPERSET DB Flys
                              160lbs x 15//40's x 15
                              150lbs x 10 DROP 120lbs x 7//40's x 10
                              120lbs x 13//40's x 7 DROP 25's x 7

Posing Practice 10 mins

Misc

Entry form is in! Natural Cali here I come.
                              Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Thursday June 4th Day 155

Trained 5 clients today, three from 11 to 1:30 and then one at 6pm, so I worked out with barb midday, had a very solid back and bis hypertrophy session, and as my leg heals I see eventually being able to do DB rows and then barbell rows in the near future, but for now hammer strength and cables and vertical pulling has been my go to. Which...is a good change up

Nutrition

Working on 35/165/265

Training

Back and Bis Hypertrophy, warm ups excluded

Hammer Grip Chins Ups, full ROM, slow negatives CRAZY lat burn
                                BW x 12 (2 sets)
                                BW x 10

DB Concentration Curl, strict
                                30lbs x 12, 9, 8

Cable Rows
                                160 x 12 (3 sets)

Lat Pulldowns, wide grip
                                180 x 10
                                170 x 10
                                160 x 10

HS Row
                                3 plates +5/side x 10 (3 sets)

Reverse Incline Bench Hanging Fixed Bar Curls
                                60lbs x 12
                                50lbs x 12
                                50lbs x 10 DROP 30lbs x 8

HS Seated Shrug SUPERSET Paramount Variable Load Back Extension
                                3 plates/side x 15//110lbs x 15 (tension at end)
                                3 plates/side x 15//130lbs x 15 (tension at middle)
                                3 plates/side x 12//150lbs x 12 (tension at beginning)

Misc

really had a solid pump and mmc in the lats today
                                Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

Working...
                                X