X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr.Dave1
    replied
    Originally posted by strester
    did you scrape your shins up? i've been reading all kinds of posts at other forums about scraping your shins up because you need to have the bar as close to your body as possible ... and other posts say that you're doing it wrong if you scrape your shins up (aside from this original post by ddawg) ... i don't feel like I'm in the right position if I don't feel my legs getting beat up by the bar
    No scraping of shins for me today. I tried the advice mentioned above to have the bar far enough away from the body so that my shoulders were behind the bar when I started. That way you get the leverage . . . it seemed to work pretty well from my unexperienced perspective. I also checked out John Lee's video showing him deadlift http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9DGjR8h9x4 and tried to do something similar.
    I see no need to beat up my legs with the bar However, I also do not know what I'm talking about when it comes to deads so who knows . . .

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank_the_Tank
    What about if John Lee made an informational deadlift video?? Who else would be interested in seeing it?

"How to Lift with John Lee:Volume 1"

Controlled Labs could sponsor it and put out a little dvd. With all of the big compound moves with step by step instructions and then Mr Aries wouldn't feel so left out/useless.
    that would be pretty cool to have ... you can read an article about dead/bench/squat a hundred times, but it'll never get the point across as well as being able to actually see it happen.

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
    Thanks for posting the info I was trying deads for the first time in a loooooong time and it was very helpful to have this info to help guide my attempt
    did you scrape your shins up? i've been reading all kinds of posts at other forums about scraping your shins up because you need to have the bar as close to your body as possible ... and other posts say that you're doing it wrong if you scrape your shins up (aside from this original post by ddawg) ... i don't feel like I'm in the right position if I don't feel my legs getting beat up by the bar

Leave a comment:

• Dr.Dave1
    replied
    Thanks for posting the info I was trying deads for the first time in a loooooong time and it was very helpful to have this info to help guide my attempt

Leave a comment:

• Frank_the_Tank
    replied
    Originally posted by tizzyistrippin
    Any videos anyone know of for proper deadlifting form??
    What about if John Lee made an informational deadlift video?? Who else would be interested in seeing it?

"How to Lift with John Lee:Volume 1"

Controlled Labs could sponsor it and put out a little dvd. With all of the big compound moves with step by step instructions and then Mr Aries wouldn't feel so left out/useless.

Leave a comment:

• ddawg91
    replied
    that's good to know, because I didn't want to make the assumption that this was meant for all applications of the deadlift

i would burn through my hour workout if I had to re-strap after each pull too
    No kidding, that would suck big time. I am sure they don't even strap in.

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied
    that's good to know, because I didn't want to make the assumption that this was meant for all applications of the deadlift

i would burn through my hour workout if I had to re-strap after each pull too

Leave a comment:

• ddawg91
    replied
    So after re-reading this, I'm wondering about the reference to not needing reversal strength ... i can understand this if one was doing powerlifting where you just raise the bar and drop it ... but is the reversal strength really not needed for those of us who are using the deadlift as means to building mass/muscular development? Should I really be concerned about just getting the bar up, lowering the weight, standing up, then grabbing the bar and repeating the lift as suggested by Mr. Tate?

I think it will make for good discussion since deads are a popular lift for bodybuilders and powerlifters alike
    I personally (since I only compete bench) do it for mass/ development. What I do is deload the weight or use a slight pause at the bottom. I do not let go adn then stand back up. This would be a major paing to re-strap every time. I believe this is more fro training for powerlifting for what Mr. Tate is saying.

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied
    Mistake #7: Training with multiple reps

Next time you see someone doing multiple reps on the deadlift, take note of the form of each rep. You'll see the later reps look nothing like the first. In competition you only have to pull once, so you need to learn how to develop what's known as starting strength for the deadlift. This is the strength needed to get the bar off the floor without an eccentric (negative) action before the start.

In other words, you don't lower the bar first and then lift the weight as you do with the squat and bench press. When you train with multiple reps you're beginning to develop reversal strength, which isn't needed with the deadlift.

These two reasons are enough to keep the deadlift training to singles. If you're using multiple reps with the deadlift, then stand up in between each rep and restart the lift. This way you'll be teaching the proper form and be developing the right kind of strength.
    So after re-reading this, I'm wondering about the reference to not needing reversal strength ... i can understand this if one was doing powerlifting where you just raise the bar and drop it ... but is the reversal strength really not needed for those of us who are using the deadlift as means to building mass/muscular development? Should I really be concerned about just getting the bar up, lowering the weight, standing up, then grabbing the bar and repeating the lift as suggested by Mr. Tate?

I think it will make for good discussion since deads are a popular lift for bodybuilders and powerlifters alike

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied

too funny

Leave a comment:

• marlon
    replied
    How not to deadlift:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ySb...eadlift%20form
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTTo...eadlift%20form

Last edited by marlon; 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied
    I've seen some posted over at bb.com in the past

Leave a comment:

• tizzyistrippin
    replied
    Any videos anyone know of for proper deadlifting form??

Leave a comment:

• ddawg91
    replied
    my shins take a beating at times .... thanks for this informative post .... maybe there won't be so much bloodshed next time
    Let me know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• strester
    replied
    Originally posted by ddawg91
    That is the way I was originally taught. "If you don't have scraps on your shins and knees then you are not doing it right" was all I heard.

Glad this will help.

my shins take a beating at times .... thanks for this informative post .... maybe there won't be so much bloodshed next time

Leave a comment:

• nics1246
    replied
    One things for sure......deads are more mechanicaly complicated than what meets the eye.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X