Ok, so here's my 5-day split

Day 1: Legs/Abs
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Back/Abs
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Shoulder/Abs
    Day 6: Arms
    Day 7: Rest

But i recently injured my foot so i really cant do any legs or power lifts like i usually do so i changed the split to this. But i need ideas on what to substitute the leg days with

Day 1: Chest/Abs
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: _____
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Shoulder/Abs
    Day 6: Arms
    Day 7: Rest

I was thinking maybe doing a full Ab work out but i dont know if that would be productive enough....?
    Currently Stacking: Nothing! All i have left is GlycerGrow...hoping to get some new stuff ASAP

Oh cmon work those legs! Wimp! Just messin
    Hope you heal up quick, injuries suck

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny View Post
      I was thinking maybe doing a full Ab work out but i dont know if that would be productive enough....?
      question is fairly vague, but if you are asking if it is productive enough for your abs? the answer is yes
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

sorry for the vagueness. its just that the gym isnt all that close to my house and a "just abs" work out seemed like a waste of gas when i already do abs on other work out days. BUT i did a full ab work out last night and im feeling it! So heres the new schedule

Mon: Chest/Abs
        Tue: Back
        Wed: Rest
        Thur: Shoulders/Abs
        Fri: Arms
        Sat: Abs
        Sun: Rest

Also on Thur, Fri, and Sat I teach class and since im hurt I cant do much so I basically double the usual Ab routine from class.

Everything look good?
        Currently Stacking: Nothing! All i have left is GlycerGrow...hoping to get some new stuff ASAP

Comment

Keep in mind you really don't HAVE to go 5 days a week. You can switch to a 4 day split for now and give yourself a little bit more rest to heal up faster. Depending on your injury and it's severity you can start doing very light (even if it's just bodyweight) exercises to start getting back into it after a few weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny View Post
            sorry for the vagueness. its just that the gym isnt all that close to my house and a "just abs" work out seemed like a waste of gas when i already do abs on other work out days. BUT i did a full ab work out last night and im feeling it! So heres the new schedule

Mon: Chest/Abs
            Tue: Back
            Wed: Rest
            Thur: Shoulders/Abs
            Fri: Arms
            Sat: Abs
            Sun: Rest

Also on Thur, Fri, and Sat I teach class and since im hurt I cant do much so I basically double the usual Ab routine from class.

Everything look good?
            Kinda like what I am doing.. only chest and back are flip flopped and so is shoulders and arms. I do a 5 day also. oh and legs are between back and shoulders

Comment

IMO 3 day splits are optimal for any individual not competing at an elite level of performance-- even than elite athletes should follow 3 day lifting splits (in addition to other training protocols ie; speed,a gility, etc.) while a true strength athlete (powerlifter) or all show athlete (bodybuilder) could increase lifting volume due to the linear focus of their competition

are both feet injured? if not, get on machines and perform single leg movements witht he healthy leg and hope for the highest contrelateral recruitments you can obtain..or just neglect lower body all together and chant atrophy atrophy atrophy every night before bed

Comment

i just feel like i get a way better workout if i can hit a certain body part with 5-6 lifts instead of just 3. My foot is feeling better so im gonna start training again but im gonna wait another week or so to start lifting with my lower body.

when im prepping for a fight i do 3 day splits but right now i have the extra time on my hands since i have no weight restraints and my training schedule is down to 3 days.

Comment

your extra time would be better suited for active recovery to enhance an optimal 3 day lifting program. or SPP/specialized work to increase performance and further develop the training carryover to competition.

Also, you say you fight -- regardless of what this means, I ask you this: when you fight do you use legs/abs, shoudlers/back, etc... or do you use the entire body all at once?!

It would be folly for any kind of athlete to perform isolated bodypart (bodybuilding) workouts and expect enhancemet of complex sporting movements..
                  Last edited by jiritt0; 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Fight meaning mixed martial arts.
                    I normally dont work out like a body builder but considering i cant put a lot of weight on my foot it cant deadlift, squat, power clean, or pretty much anything that would apply to functional strength for a fight.

Im working out isolated body parts right now because its all that i can do and because im trying to build muscle mass so when i start cutting weight again i can hopefully be leaner and stronger.

Today is gonna be my first day back to training and its gonna be mostly bjj so my foot wont be too strained

Comment

Try single leg RDL, deadlifts, squats, heck i've even read about single leg cleans...

Contralateral training benefits will create a small neural carryover to your injured leg, creating some form of adaption (which is better than none)

The unilateral nature of the movements will also challenge your proprioception and develop a greater kinesethic awareness, two important factors for a fighter as you may often find yourself absorbing or delivering force outside of rigid bilateral joint articulations.

If you don't know ross, you should:http://rosstraining.com/blog/

i think his blog took over the site, but his focus is on combat sports

Whatever you do, don't do single leg isolation exercises...
                      Last edited by jiritt0; 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

yeah im not gonna be doing any isolation lifts. And yeah iv seen and read basically all of ross' articles hes awesome

Comment

Some good advice in here... carry on

Comment

Yesterday and today i had some good bjj training/teaching and did some light weight squats and some wrestling/bjj drills.

My foots feeling better just a little tender and sore.

Next week im gonna start squatting with a tiny bit more weight along with some deadlifts and cleans

Comment

Glad to hear it man!
                              "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
                              CFD

Comment

Working...
                              X