Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my workout program . .

My current info: 32 years old, 6' 175 lbs, estimated bf 12 - 13 %

I spent the last 4 weeks doing month one of a workout program called the asteroid freak workout program . . .designed by baseball strength coach Jon Doyle for USP labs. (the workout program is attached in pdf below)

I followed it to a T and took a supplement stack by USP Labs and my gains have been minimal if at all. My nutrition is solid and clean (around 3000 cals per day). I use protein multiple times daily as well as creatine mono (I'm starting green mag next week). I've worked out hard setting PRs virtually everytime I lift since I'm so new to weight training. I am pretty athletic though . .been playing sports my whole life. I still play flag football, lacrosse, soccer, and ice hockey regularly.

All of this and I still can't seem to gain mass. I'm finishing my USP Labs stack this week and starting blue gene, green mag, and purple wraath next week. I'm already using white flood.

I'd love some criticisms of this program . . .should I continue to month 2 with it or start something different? If I should be doing something different . .please advise . .Should I do Rippetoe, starr, westside for skinny bastards, max-ot, etc?

My immediate goal is to add 10 - 15 lbs of lean muscle mass within the next 8 - 12 weeks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ericpad; 04-22-2009, 06:24 AM.

Originally posted by ericpad View Post
    My current info: 32 years old, 6' 175 lbs, estimated bf 12 - 13 %

I spent the last 4 weeks doing month one of a workout program called the asteroid freak workout program . . .designed by baseball strength coach Jon Doyle for USP labs. (the workout program is attached in pdf below)

I followed it to a T and took a supplement stack by USP Labs and my gains have been minimal if at all. My nutrition is solid and clean (around 3000 cals per day). I use protein multiple times daily as well as creatine mono (I'm starting green mag next week). I've worked out hard setting PRs virtually everytime I lift since I'm so new to weight training. I am pretty athletic though . .been playing sports my whole life. I still play flag football, lacrosse, soccer, and ice hockey regularly.

All of this and I still can't seem to gain mass. I'm finishing my USP Labs stack this week and starting blue gene, green mag, and purple wraath next week. I'm already using white flood.

I'd love some criticisms of this program . . .should I continue to month 2 with it or start something different? If I should be doing something different . .please advise . .Should I do Rippetoe, starr, westside for skinny bastards, max-ot, etc?

My immediate goal is to add 10 - 15 lbs of lean muscle mass within the next 8 - 12 weeks.
    I should add that I wasn't expecting a 10 lbs gain for 4 weeks of hard training or anything like that . .but I simply can't get the scale to move up even a pound or 2.

Comment

attached workout looks pretty beat IMO

the way to get big hands down = heavy squats + deadlifts

avoid isolation exercises (for example, do chinups, dips, or pullups instead of bicep or tricep curls)

avoid using machines

eat big to get big - if your not gainaing at 3K cals, increase it

incorporate the entire body into workouts

and run sprints immediately after weights (ideally if you can) -- or as a seperate workout on their own

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto View Post
        attached workout looks pretty beat IMO

the way to get big hands down = heavy squats + deadlifts

avoid isolation exercises (for example, do chinups, dips, or pullups instead of bicep or tricep curls)

avoid using machines

eat big to get big - if your not gainaing at 3K cals, increase it

incorporate the entire body into workouts

and run sprints immediately after weights (ideally if you can) -- or as a seperate workout on their own
        I think the program is pretty beat too . .but I was getting some of my advice from the forums at USP labs and the program was designed for them . .so . .no one there was going to tell me that.

Do you think Rippetoe starting strength would be a good program for me start next week? (I finish the first month of the attached program on Saturday)

Also, I find it difficult to eat my 3k cals and eat clean . . .can I be a bit lax in order to get bigger nutritionally speaking?

Finally, I do sprints at least twice per week in my sports (flag football & lacrosse presently) . .do you think I need more? Of course I'll need supplemental calories to make up for what I burn doing those activities right?

thanks

Comment

in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend you follow any kind of designer workout program.

an ideal workout schedule is individualized; not something you can google

you shouldnt be lax on adding cals, theres meal replacement shakes, weight gainer shakes, and energy dense foods (steel cut oats!!) you can eat to easily increase Kcals

just cause you want to add mass, doesnt mean you want to add fatty mass.

if you want my .02c on workout methodolgy, read this:
          http://www.fettletraining.com/methodology.html

if you've never done olympic lifting and/or have limited weight training experience, start on what i list as the 2nd tier of exercises

there isnt a secret program to getting results, its all in your approach to training. the secret is to consistntely train hard, and do all the difficult exercises.

if you go to a commericial gym, theres a reason everyone is doing bicep curls -- they're easy as shit.

if you go to a performance based gym -- theres a reason everyones squatting huge, doing pullups, and straight up killing it every workout -- it works

I dont know if i would consider flat football/lacrosse as sprint training... sure you do some hard running, but it isn't planned, focused, or aimed at performance enhancement. Im not saying quit playing them -- i think thats great you do and its def an added benefit as being physically challenging -- but from my standpoint I would rather see you take 2-3 workouts a week focused straight at sprinting. get nice and warmed up, than put in like 10-15 sprints with ample recovery between. sometimes utilize resisted sprints (uphill, sled drags, parachute pulls) or assisted sprints (down hill, or over speed training with bungee chords) and really focus on moving as fast as possible

the benefit of sprints after a weight workout is an increase in natural lvls of HGH (apparantly, Defrancos mentioned this somewhere, and well, i trust whatever defranco does with his clients - dude is like my new idol at the moment)

Comment

in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend you follow any kind of designer workout program.

an ideal workout schedule is individualized; not something you can google

you shouldnt be lax on adding cals, theres meal replacement shakes, weight gainer shakes, and energy dense foods (steel cut oats!!) you can eat to easily increase Kcals

just cause you want to add mass, doesnt mean you want to add fatty mass.

if you want my .02c on workout methodolgy, read this:
            http://www.fettletraining.com/methodology.html

if you've never done olympic lifting and/or have limited weight training experience, start on what i list as the 2nd tier of exercises

there isnt a secret program to getting results, its all in your approach to training. the secret is to consistntely train hard, and do all the difficult exercises.

if you go to a commericial gym, theres a reason everyone is doing bicep curls -- they're easy as shit.

if you go to a performance based gym -- theres a reason everyones squatting huge, doing pullups, and straight up killing it every workout -- it works

I dont know if i would consider flat football/lacrosse as sprint training... sure you do some hard running, but it isn't planned, focused, or aimed at performance enhancement. Im not saying quit playing them -- i think thats great you do and its def an added benefit as being physically challenging -- but from my standpoint I would rather see you take 2-3 workouts a week focused straight at sprinting. get nice and warmed up, than put in like 10-15 sprints with ample recovery between. sometimes utilize resisted sprints (uphill, sled drags, parachute pulls) or assisted sprints (down hill, or over speed training with bungee chords) and really focus on moving as fast as possible

the benefit of sprints after a weight workout is an increase in natural lvls of HGH (apparantly, Defrancos mentioned this somewhere, and well, i trust whatever defranco does with his clients - dude is like my new idol at the moment)
            JD,

thanks for the info man. Much appreciated! Per our last thread conversation I'm already mixing up my steel oat shakes at least 2 - 3 times per day.

I definitely know that heavy compound and Olympic style lefts are the best for my goal and the fact that the asteroid program incorporated those made me think that it was a decent program. Having just about completed the last week of the first month I wanted to reevaluate the program and perhaps switch to something better.

I also have become a huge fan of Defranco . .I only learned about him recently too.

I'm definitely a novice in all of this stuff . .But I reading, learning, asking questions, doing everything I can to be well informed. I have nothing but motivation and drive. I'll take a look at that link you put in your post.

Thanks,

Eric

Comment

JD -

I started my new program this week. I'm doing a 4 day push pull program from the Power Training book (written by Robert Dos Remedios (Coach Dos). It's awesome. I'm doing lots of the things you suggested.

I start each workout with an explosive exercise. By the end of my workout I feel wiped out and awesome. I know I'll see great results with this program.

Here is what my first 2 weeks look like: (i've completed A1 & B1 so far this week)

A1
              Hang Clean
              Front Squat
              DB Bench Press
              Shoulder Press
              Seated Russian Twist
              4 Point Plank

B1
              Hang Jump Shrug
              Split Good Morning
              Bent Over Row
              Single Arm Lat Pulldown
              Kneeling Reverse Wood Chop
              Core Row (15 lbs DB)

A2
              One Arm Db Snatch
              Forward Lunge
              Bench press
              DB Shoulder Press
              Corkscrew
              3 point plank

B2
              Clean and Snatch high pull
              Good Morning
              Bent Over Row Db Alternating row
              Pullup / Chinup
              Windshield wiper
              Plank with weight transfer

My initial 12 week cycle will be based on hypertrophy so my rep / load scheme is based on that goal.

If you haven't seen the book you should definitely check it out. It gives you tons of exercise choices for each category (IE horizontal push, vertical pull, hip dominant, knee dominant, etc) so there is plenty of room for customization of the program and the ability to change your exercises frequently whilst staying within a nicely defined template.

As I read through the book it seemed to be much in line with what you were saying and many other people who have expertise.

Two workouts in and I know I'm on the right track now. And of course I'm loving my full stack of CL too (BG, GM, WF, PW, GG).

Thanks again for your advice and information.

Eric

Comment

seems like a solid workout, but at the same time i would recommend you avoid getting stuck into it fo rlong term.. it might be good for a few weeks, but variation is one of the major factors in a quality program design

even if its something as simple as switching Front squats in A1 to back squats, overhead squats, lunge squats, uneven squats (stance or foot height)...etc.. they all keep the major muscles involved but hit them from varying angles

Comment

i just looked at coach dos's website, and he has video of some girls doing an agility drill with pathetic form =(

Comment

seems like a solid workout, but at the same time i would recommend you avoid getting stuck into it fo rlong term.. it might be good for a few weeks, but variation is one of the major factors in a quality program design

even if its something as simple as switching Front squats in A1 to back squats, overhead squats, lunge squats, uneven squats (stance or foot height)...etc.. they all keep the major muscles involved but hit them from varying angles
                    And that is exactly what this program calls for . .frequent changes of exercises broken up in the following categories:

a1
                    Explosive
                    Knee Dominant (bi)
                    horizontal push (uni)
                    vertical Push (bi)
                    core / rotational

b1
                    explosive
                    hip dominant (uni)
                    horizontal pull (bi)
                    vertical pull (uni)
                    core / rotational

a2
                    explosive
                    knee dominant (uni)
                    horizontal push (bi)
                    vertical push (uni)
                    core / rotational

b2
                    explosive
                    hip dominant (bi)
                    horizontal pull (uni)
                    vertical pull (bi)
                    core rotational

And he presents a menu of exercises for each category. There are so many exercises for each category that I'll be able to change them very frequently.

Comment

I too am doing Mens Health Power training, Been doing it over a year with no staggnated times. I'v gotten stronger ever week and with the excercize menu i never get bored. The most simple yet effective program iv ever done hands down. You cant go wrong with this program. I bought the pull downs menus and they are awsome and easy to use. Good luck with the program. YOu will definatelly see huge results excpeciallly in strength. Make sure to take the back off weeks ever 3 or 6 weeks and your golden.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLanks View Post
                        I too am doing Mens Health Power training, Been doing it over a year with no staggnated times. I'v gotten stronger ever week and with the excercize menu i never get bored. The most simple yet effective program iv ever done hands down. You cant go wrong with this program. I bought the pull downs menus and they are awsome and easy to use. Good luck with the program. YOu will definatelly see huge results excpeciallly in strength. Make sure to take the back off weeks ever 3 or 6 weeks and your golden.

That's awesome to hear! I just found coach dos' forum a couple days ago . .it's a great source of info. I love the workouts so far. They are kicking my but like no other workout I've done and I love it.

Are you using CL products as well?

Comment

Yes, i just got my batch of CL products and i am in love. I purchased WF, GM, GlycierGrow, and purple wrath. I also take universal torrent post workout and when im done iwth that will just be taking a waixy maize powder with whey and creatine mono. I love the energy boost with the wf, gm, grow, complex, and the wratch keeps my energy up to hit it heavy late in my workout. id love to add blue gene but just cant come to grips of spending 35 bucks a month for it. im only spending 45 on all the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLanks View Post
                            Yes, i just got my batch of CL products and i am in love. I purchased WF, GM, GlycierGrow, and purple wrath. I also take universal torrent post workout and when im done iwth that will just be taking a waixy maize powder with whey and creatine mono. I love the energy boost with the wf, gm, grow, complex, and the wratch keeps my energy up to hit it heavy late in my workout. id love to add blue gene but just cant come to grips of spending 35 bucks a month for it. im only spending 45 on all the other stuff.
                            It's definitely worth it for BG. I'm almost through my first bottle and the stuff is amazing. The really compliment my training nicely. My muscles feel harder, my endurance is great, my recovery time is faster. It's a great product.

Check dpsnutrition.com . .they sell it there for around 30 per bottle. My second bottle just came on Friday . . .I'm all set for when my first one runs out later this week.

I also added Blue Up and Orange Triad in. Though I'd recommend you go with the stim free version of Blue Up since you are already using products with stim in them.

Comment

I just Curl , Squat, bench, donkey kick, leg press, Medium sized cars. Works great. Thank You BG. No really.. keep changin up your workout every few weeks.. and eat big plus take those supps. You'll see nice results!

Comment

Working...
                              X