OMGHI2U, please critique my workout plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMGHI2U, please critique my workout plan

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just got back from Las Vegas for my bday, where I gained roughly 5-10 pounds...lol. So now, I need to get back on the workout saddle. I guess I just need some reassurance that my workout plan is correct and that I'm doing the right thing on my road back to a decent body. Any advice would be appreciated. Anyways my goal would probably be somewhere around what Dracoy's body has accomplished. <3
    With that said :
    My Height : 5'5
    Weight : 165
    guesstimating my bf% : 18% give or take a few percentages

Supplements
    Optimum 100% Whey Protein
    Optimum 100% Casein Protein
    Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
    Controlled Labs White Flood
    Controlled Labs REDuction
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad
    Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude
    NOW Presents: Green Tea Extract
    Fiber Choice Chewable Tablets

Diet Plan, (semi similar to palumbo's diet)
    8:30 AM - AM Reduction
    9:00 AM - MEAL #1 - SHAKE: 1 scoop of Whey Protein, 1 tablespoon of Peanut butter w/ flaxseed oil
    11:20 AM - MEAL #2 - 5 omega-3 eggs(1 whole, 4 white only), Orange Triad, Green tea Extract
    2:15 PM - (pre-workout) White Flood,Green MAGnitude
    3:00 - Purple Wrath, weight train, then cardio afterwards
    4:00 MEAL #3 - (post workout) SHAKE: 1 scoop of Whey Protein
    6:00 MEAL #4 - 8oz lean chicken with 1/2-cup cashews, Green tea Extract, Orange Triad
    9:00 MEAL #5 - 8oz beef, fiber choice pills
    12:00 MEAL #6 - PM Reduction, SHAKE: 1 scoop of Casein Protein, 1 tablespoon of Peanut butter w/ flaxseed oil

Total Calories - about 2300
    Total Protein - about 220g

Weight training plan
    I don't go to a gym, so all i have available to me are dumbells, a bench and a treadmill . My cardio consists of LISS (Low Intensity Steady-State) cardio at the moment which usually gives me a good sweat after 20-30 mins of it. Although I'm thinking of switiching it to HIIT, because of all the wonderful things I've read about it.

Day 1 (chest, calves)
    everything for chest is 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - DeclineDumbbellFlyes
    - Dumbbell Flyes
    - Dumbbell Bench Press
    - Incline+Dumbbell Flyes
    everything for calves is 3 x 12,14,16
    - Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise
    - Dumbbell Seated One-Leg Calf Raise
    - Seated Calf Raise
    then 20-30 mins cardio

Day 2 (abs, biceps)
    everything for biceps is 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - Concentration Curls
    - Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl
    - Alternate Hammer Curl
    - Zottman Curl
    everything for abs is 4 sets x 8,10,12,14
    - Dumbbell Side Bend
    - Leg Pull-In
    - Crunches
    - Frog+Sit-Ups
    - end in 30 second static v hold
    then 20-30 mins cardio

Day 3 (back, triceps, quads, traps)
    back, 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row With Palms-In
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    triceps, 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - Standing Dumbbell Triceps Extension
    - Lying-Supine Two-Arm Dumbbell Triceps Extension
    quads, 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - Dumbbell Squat
    - Iron Cross
    traps, 4 sets x 6,8,10,12
    - Dumbbell Shrug
    then 20-30 mins cardio

Day 4 (rest)
    Day 5 (repeat day 1)
    Day 6 (repeat day 2)
    Day 7 (repeat day 3)
    Day 8 (rest)....etc.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by jekoo; 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM.

Wow, the actual split itself could use a complete overhaul IMO but otherwise things are looking pretty good

Definitely switch to HIIT, BUT keep us updated on OVERALL energy levels.
    Last edited by pu12en12g; 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jekoo View Post
      - Dumbbell Side Bend
      What's your logic here ?

Comment

Back day needs SERIOUS help, I'll wait for Kane to chime in and I'll follow up later.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g View Post
          What's your logic here ?
          i thought it would be a decent exercise for the love handles and easy to do >_<

Comment

Originally posted by jekoo View Post
            i thought it would be a decent exercise for the love handles and easy to do >_<
            A clean diet will take care of those love handles.
            laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Back day needs SERIOUS help, I'll wait for Kane to chime in and I'll follow up later.
              I figured as much, I guess I knew I was slacking on the back exercises cause subconsciously I hate doing back workouts

Comment

Wow, the actual split itself could use a complete overhaul IMO but otherwise things are looking pretty good

roger that
                thanks for your input

Comment

So I'm overhauling the whole workout routine as suggested and i'm substituting it w/ The Rippetoe Training Method, which is suppose to be good for beginners.
                  It basically goes:
                  Week 1:
                  o Monday - Workout A
                  o Wednesday -Workout B
                  o Friday - Workout A
                  Week 2:
                  o Monday - Workout B
                  o Wednesday - Workout A
                  o Friday - Workout B

Workout A:
                  * Squat - 3x5
                  * Bench Press - 3x5
                  * Deadlift - 1x5
                  * Decline Barbell Bench Press - 2x8
                  Workout B:
                  * Squat - 3x5
                  * Overhead Press - 3x5
                  * Power Cleans - 3x5
                  * Bent Over Barbell Row - 3x5

Every week increasing the weight by 2.5%
                  I guess I'll just add in my original biceps/abdominal workouts on Sundays and Thursdays (since none of these workouts really targets the abs and biceps), chest on Tuesday and HIIT cardio after every workout. Saturday is my rest day.
                  Last edited by jekoo; 03-18-2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Huge improvement IMO

If possible, separate the HIIT from your workout by several hours... emphasize post-workout nutrition after BOTH the HIIT and the GYM workout
                    Last edited by pu12en12g; 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Agreed. Second workout plan is waaay better.
                      I would say for now NOT to add the sunday and thursday. On one of the alternate days...maybe workout A, add chinups. That and the bent over rows should provide stimulus to your biceps. Or toss in 2-3 sets of barbell curl if you're really inclined.
                      Don't even bother with the abs for now either. Most exercises will indirectly hit your core once you build enough strength in them. In terms of aesthetic, the old cliche that abs are made in the kitchen hold true.
                      kane@controlledlabs.com
                      Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                      Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                      www.controlledlabs.com
                      www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Huge improvement IMO

If possible, separate the HIIT from your workout by several hours... emphasize post-workout nutrition after BOTH the HIIT and the GYM workout
                        Hookay, I'll try to do my cardio in the morning now and gym workout during the day, I was never really much of a morning person which is why I tried to squeeze in it with my gym workout. But this is about changing myself, so I'll do it.

Originally posted by timberwolf View Post
                        Agreed. Second workout plan is waaay better.
                        I would say for now NOT to add the sunday and thursday. On one of the alternate days...maybe workout A, add chinups. That and the bent over rows should provide stimulus to your biceps. Or toss in 2-3 sets of barbell curl if you're really inclined.
                        Don't even bother with the abs for now either. Most exercises will indirectly hit your core once you build enough strength in them. In terms of aesthetic, the old cliche that abs are made in the kitchen hold true.
                        Gotcha, i'll toss out the Sunday, Thursday and all the ab exercises for now. Yea, you and bull.dogz are right about abs being made in the kitchen, I just got done reading an article where Lee Priest (professional bber) said that he never actually trains his abs even though he has a very visible 8 pack.

Thanks for everybody's advice, I'm just glad that I know I'm somewhere near the right track now and not working out aimlessly anymore.
                        brb, gonna go buy a doorway chin-up bar
                        Last edited by jekoo; 03-19-2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

decline bench is dumb. it doesnt translate into anything really and a reduced ROM limits the work in the chest. I would drop it and throw in like 1000 pushups. they are the bomb.

here is a thread I made awhile ago with my ideas on exercises

http://controlledlabsforum.com/showp...72&postcount=2

for a starting part, when you design a workout, start at the top of the list and move down it.. you would begin with the olympic/explosive power training movements (cleans, jerks, snatch, etc) -- progress to the compound movements (Squat, deads, bench, shoulder press, rows) -- progress to the lessor compounds (pullups, dips, pushups, chins,etc) and end with your isolationg moves (bicep curls, calf raises, etc).

I strongly encourage you to add tons of jumping jacks and jump rope into the workouts.. instead of resting and bullshitting around jump rope for 45 seconds and rest 30 ... and in addition to that I love building circuits where I throw 3-4 exercises together, usually a core movement or 2. check my log (search 2009, its the name of the thread)

It's not an exhaustive list but i think it includes the basic exercises you can do at most gyms. Once you get down the list you can add in alot more exercises, but at the top theres only a few full body/power moves and compoud moves. I would also include lots of strong man exercises, but I personally havent even done them yet! I just hear/read a lot about them in strength & conditioning clinics/journals. Once I get an apt/house with lots of land, i'm all over the strong man workouts. haha

also, like other people touched on -- your wrong to say those exercises dont target the abs. squats, deadlifts, cleans, overhead press all really work the abs -- and more importantly theyre structural exercises that will stimulate bone growth in the spine. They do not directly hit the abs like a crunch does, but they allow you to utilize the abs as theyre meant in a supporting role for the rest of the body.
                          Last edited by jiritt0; 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X