Athletic Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic Training

I am going to be starting to use the HST Philosophy, and was wondering if this would be a good program for training for lacrosse. I was also going to add in more plyometric training such as box jumps and jump squats as well with more core training. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

dont know much about hst training, but i know alot about sport performance training..

what sport? and detail hst (as well as your entire workout program design) for me please

Comment

I play lacrosse at the midfield position, so a lot of cutting and whatnot (primary reason for a lot of core work and whatnot). The program is similar to one that I did my freshman year of highschool.

Three Days Full Body: Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Full Squats 1x15
      Deadlifts 1x15
      Incline Bench 1x15
      Dips 2x15
      Medium Grip Chins 2x15
      Bent over BB Rows 2x15
      Military Press 2x15
      Lateral Raises 1x15
      DB Curls 2x15
      Tricep Ext. 2x15
      Calf Raises 2x15
      Abdominal Work

This varies along exercises, but for the most part Weeks 1 - 2 focus on 15 reps, working up to your 15RPM by the end of Wk2 (6th Workout), then Weeks 3 - 4 focusing on 10 reps, working up to 10RPM, and then Weeks 5 - 6 focusing on 5 reps, working up to your 5RPM. Then Weeks 7-8 Negative work, 5s, drops, Week 9 - 10 Negatives and drops. Then Week 11-12 "Strength Deconditioning" allows muscle to rest

Comment

what kind of resources/equipment do you have available?
        (ie: full weight room [DB's and barbells?] -- boxes -- agility ladders, hurdles, etc. -- weighted vest -- sled/cords w partner resistence ? etc...)
        Last edited by jiritt0; 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I have everything full weight room, chutes, ladders, bungees, sleds, and etc.

Comment

awesome --- ill try to throw up some thoughts in the next day or so (im very busy at the moment, end fo the semester craziness)

Comment

make these lifting movements the foundation of your weight training:

cleans
              snatches
              overhead jerks/presses

do them first, and consisntely. perform sets of 4-8 , i wouldnt ever go over 8, but you could go lower than 4 if seeking more maximal strength/power

you're dead on in working the entire body every workout, you never play lacrosse using only your legs or upper back, so why train that way? some of your exercises should be dropped (calf raises, tricep exts. etc, -- see below)

other great ones are jump shrugs, squats, RDLs/str leg deads, pullups, chinups, bent over rows (never use a bench, always use bent over position), liunges, glute hammie raises are awesome, pushups, dips, etc. ...

always avoid isolating a muscle during any workout, always try to compound the movement as much as you can or integrate movement as much as you can. (example: walking 40 yards forward and backward while doing DB curls to shoulder press instead of standing still)

incorporate as much unilateral training as you can --- single leg squats (off a box/bench), single arm DB power cleans/snatches etc., single leg RDLs etc...

single leg balance work with a balance pad/wobble board is great-.. jump on the leg while doing these or have someone toss a med ball at various spots while balancing

make core work a priority, a strong core will significantly enhance your ability to move and create power..

lots of plyometric work like you said -- great for developign the explosive strength -- make sure your form is right, and ensure you have proper landing mechanics -- do both upper body and lower body plyos frequently !

agility ladders are your friend, theres numerous drills with them, learn them, love them.
              hurdles are good, not as fun as agility ladders, learn the drills, love them
              cones can make great coruses for multidirectional training as well, same thing as above, many drills/learn n love them

make you sure you do an active dynamic warmup (aprox. 30mins) before any activity, and spend a good 10-15minutes static stretching post --- this will provide the best results hands down. static stretching before an event deadens the CNS and limits performance -- active dynamic stuff has a couple main benefits, all basically preparing the body for intense physical exertion.

also look to develop proper running mechanics if you havent. learning how to run correctly can significantly shave time off your 20m/40yd without adding in any other factors. during acceleration learn to drive the knee forward and push it down underneath the hips -- after 10-12yards of this transition into max velocity mechanics where you kick the heel to the glute and claw it out in front of you to cover the greatest amount of ground possible (since your max speed is reached, covering ground as fast as possible is your goal)

theres many drills for developing acceleration and max velocity mechanics as well..

do you work with a CSCS or any sport training organization/? or just your HS coach developing programs?

as for your periodization scheme... idk, ive never gotten big into that. it looks like your doing a somewhat abridged version of western/american periodization, which typically isn't the best (?) I personally utilize an undulated perioziation in that I consistently workout at the top intensity threshold and just variate my workouts day to day, week to week, month by month... of course, I have no in/off season schedule..

I would prolly recommend you train 100% daily, utilizing 4-8 reps with 3-8 sets on power movements (snatches, cleans, jerks/presses), and similair sets/reps with almost all other exercises.. this will develop the most explosive strength/power possible. sets of 10-12+ are more for hypertrophy and beyond that gets into endurance.

your an athlete, train like one.. Don't train like Jay Cutler or a typical bodybuilder/weight lifter would... you need to train all aspects of your game: speed,strength, power, agility, reaction, quickness (nike SPARQ philopshies)

once you close in ony our season, I would say the 2-3 weeks prior to competition begin to scale back the intensities of your workouts so you rest/recover for competition.. than modifiy your program into more of a maiintance intensity level during the season (still utilizing all things outlined above)

think about it

Comment

Great advice J D

Comment

i guess i can start refering to myself as a sport performance coach now, i should be doing some part time work since my internship ended.. just gotta work it out with my school schedule.

I really wanna take the cscs before 1/20 (spring semester starts) but who knows if I will... not even sure if i can schedule it this close to than w/o paying more

Comment

here is a post from a very experienced and respected strength and conditioning coach in the NE region

http://drrobfitness.blogspot.com/

I interview him awhile back for a class -- he was the strength/conditioning coach at UPenn for 15 years I believe, and did amazing things, helping train IVY league athletes into the pros after graduating (pretty awesome). I believe he now owns and operates his own training facility while teaching HS courses by the jersey beachers (?) Great guy, interviewed him for like 2hrs over the phone about his experiences and how i can develop my future, it was very informative and motivational.

anyways, check his blog, doesnt update often, but recently he did with a lacrosse training thread

Comment

Working...
                    X