The Stretching Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stretching Thread

I am an avid 'stretcher'. It is really good for mobility, lengthening the muscle to build a bigger 'muscle belly', and general recovery and health. Do you guys stretch? What time of the day (after workout? how long)? What kind of stretches?

i spend 30mins doing an active dyanmic warmup preworkout for stretching and other positive performance enhancing benefits, and than another 15 mions postworkout static stretching with a band

Static stretches pre-activity = bad for performance

o and ps: i feel like 300% better since i began doing that kind of regime 3-4months ago... my flexibility has gone from zero to hero (kind of)

im very interested in learning yoga/pilates once i have free time in my life..
    Last edited by jiritt0; 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
      i spend 30mins doing an active dyanmic warmup preworkout for stretching and other positive performance enhancing benefits, and than another 15 mions postworkout static stretching with a band

Static stretches pre-activity = bad for performance

o and ps: i feel like 300% better since i began doing that kind of regime 3-4months ago... my flexibility has gone from zero to hero (kind of)

im very interested in learning yoga/pilates once i have free time in my life..
      I do 5-10 min tops of preworkout dynamic stretching (including band warmup) and 15-20 min of post workout stretching 2-3 times per week.
      kane@controlledlabs.com
      Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
      Looks for the ads, coming soon!
      www.controlledlabs.com
      www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Dynamic stretching huh? I can't say I've done that before.

I do about 15 mins of post workout static stretching. Probably the second best feeling of my workout, next to 'the pump' of course.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
          Dynamic stretching huh? I can't say I've done that before.

I do about 15 mins of post workout static stretching. Probably the second best feeling of my workout, next to 'the pump' of course.
          Check out Joe's agile 8 if you need some ideas.
          http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask..._08-10-03.html
          kane@controlledlabs.com
          Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
          Looks for the ads, coming soon!
          www.controlledlabs.com
          www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

my website will include active dyanmic warmup information .. in due time =)

good link, but the names aren't 100% accurate imo...according to what they teach at velocity sports

moutain climbers the feet come inside the palms 1 at a time

groiners the feet land outside the palms 1 at a time

and when both feet thrust forward outside the palms its call a frog thrust (you can do the same with both feet inside the palms and its similiar to a moutain climber)

thats a basic/brief version of the warm up ive been doing lately.. better suited for the normal person, while the stuff I is more atheletic in nature.. depending on the movement training focus (multidirectional, acceleration, max velocity) different focuses will be present in the warm up.

do you do burpies kane? I've got a freakin awesome DB exercise built off of them!

Comment

you talkin bout some man-makers. Those cats are brutal.
              Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                do you do burpies kane? I've got a freakin awesome DB exercise built off of them!
                Nice, I've been doing the burpees into a clean and press with dumbells. Crank out 15 of those badboys and your panting like a dog

Comment

t's about 10-12 stretches which are performed standing up and focus on stretching the core / abdomen / back / chest. I've seen a major improvement in overall posture, length of muscles and mobility since starting them. I also practice tai chi to counter balance all of the heavy weight training / resistance exercise I do. It's all about balancing out as a whole. Too many lifters now adays just focus on mass/aesthetics instead of the complete package
                  Last edited by RenegadeRows; 11-24-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

man-makers
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfuDnL_4aNg&translated=1
                    Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
                      Those are intense... ill have to try those. I like the renegade rows at the beginning

Comment

i wouldnt recommend the clean --- that guy makes them look very bad. stick with a curl to press if you want, do DB cleans seperately.

Comment

is there a reason you dont like the cleans in there? I agree that his were poor in the video. I also dont really like high rep oly lifts but you can go pretty heavy with these.

Comment

i just feel cleans by themselves are most beneficial... you should be able to clean alot more alone than when you combine in all of those other movements...and by adding all them to cleans, you pose a great risk for injury due to fatique breakdown form during the clean

replace cleans with a DB deadlift - to - hammer curl - to - squat press and back down the pushup rows and all over again..

Comment

I recently read about how stretching can lead to more hypertrophy so I have been after a workout or a particular exercise. But the problem is I haven't really been serious stretching or timing it so to speak and I do no know much stretches like for the chest or shoulders orlats and traps and back. So I mostly stretch the legs. Any help?

Comment

Working...
                              X