Knee question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee question?

About 1-2 months ago I did something to my left knee while spinning. It was really tight. Especially in the back and radiating partially down my calf. Anyway, everything felt better better so I hit the squat rack yesterday. First warm up set was 1x10x135. Felt awkward but ok. Both knees were sore and stiff. 2nd warm up set, same weight, the left knee had sharp pain to lateral side. No discomfort while walking. Full range of motion. Does anyone on here have any idea what possibly happened. Did I strain a tendon or what? This is really starting to piss me off. Getn old sucks ass!!!!
    Do or do not. There is no try!

possibly LCL injury (lateral collatorl ligament)

below from - http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00349
    (first google response)

Collateral Ligaments
    The collateral ligaments are located on the inner (medial) side of the knee joint and the outer (lateral) side of the knee joint. The medial collateral ligament (MCL) connects the thighbone to the shinbone, and provides stability to the inner side of the knee. The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) connects the thighbone to the other bone in the lower portion of the leg (fibula) and stabilizes the outer side.

Top of page
    Collateral Ligament Injuries
    Injuries to the MCL are usually caused by contact on the outside of the knee and are accompanied by sharp pain on the inside of the knee. The LCL is rarely injured.

Treatment
    If the MCL has a small partial tear, conservative treatment usually works. Remember the acronym RICE:

Rest the knee to give the ligament time to heal.
    Ice can be applied two or three times a day for 15 to 20 minutes each time.
    Compress the injury to limit swelling. You may have to wear a bandage or brace for a while.
    Elevate the knee whenever possible.
    You should also consult your physician about a course of rehabilitation exercises for good healing.

If the collateral ligament is completely torn, or torn in such a way that the ligament cannot heal, you may need surgery. Repair may bring good results, with a return to good knee stability. After satisfactory rehabilitation, many people resume their previous levels of activity.

Rehabilitation
    A rehabilitation plan is needed if you have a cruciate or collateral ligament injury.

Most rehabilitation plans include:

Passive range-of-motion exercises designed to restore flexibility
    Braces to control joint movement.
    Exercises to strengthen the quadriceps muscles in the front of the thigh. Muscle strength is needed to provide the knee joint with as much support and stability as possible when weight is placed on it.
    Additional exercises on a high-seat exercise bicycle, followed by more strenuous quadriceps exercise.
    Your progress and the ability of the knee to function as a normal knee will determine how long you must use crutches and a brace.

i Did you RICE after it happened? (rest,ice,compression,elevation)

are you warming up + stretching and cooling down + stretching pre & post workouts?

Comment

Working...
    X