Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, here are some thoughts on the first week of this template. I know I can't really speak too much to effectiveness or anything like that because, well, it's only been a week, but I still have some initial observations.

First, one thing I was worried about was the fact that i'm losing direct arm and calf work. I know that in the long run, this in't a big deal, especially if you're focusing on strength anyway, but we all have our hangups. I'm glad to say that in this week, I haven't seen anything negative from this. I have definitely felt my biceps and triceps working through the exercises I'm including, and my calves are still being worked with the cardio stuff I do. The stepmill hits them especially well.

Second, I was wondering how so the assistance work I've chosen would leave me. The truth is that it left me VERY sore. It's pretty interesting. The way these workouts have left me feeling confirms my suspicion that I had just overcomplicated what I was doing before. I'm doing fewer sets, and a much simpler and smaller set of lifts, but I feel like I'm getting a better training session in anyway. Maybe my body just reacts better to this type of thing. We'll see how it goes as I settle into the program a bit further.

Regarding individual sessions, they are shorter, but feel much more intense during the workout. I feel completely beat afterwards, but not mentally destroyed.

I really like the boring but big assistance work right now. I've gotten a couple of weird looks and questions when people see me doing so many sets of one exercise, but it doesn't bother me. I get weird looks just for deadlifting at all sometimes.

I'm also feeling that certain muscle groups (especially my back and shoulders) are getting hit from different angles.

Overall, I'm happy with this week and excited to see what happens as this goes on.
    We'll see how this goes...

Comment

• Dude thats a huge coincidence that we are both on the same template now. Actually Im doing more of a periodization style, after reading Dave Tate's Bible, but Im back on 5/3/1 after a year. I was told to try Defranco's template but I fit more with 5/3/1. About your first prediciment: The beauty of 5/3/1 is its versatility. It can be used for a bodybuilder, powerlifter, football player, basketball, etc. Once you hit your first lift of the workout(deadlift, bench, military, squat), its all up to you after. Ive seen some guys hit their arms 2x a week and some not do a single curl or extension. If you want to add in a calf or arm excercise in one of your workouts, go for it. For me, I leave that decision at the end of my workout. If I feel like my arms took a beating or my calves were stimulated enough, then I wont bother. If not, then Ill add in an excercise. Just experiment and see what works for you.
      "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
      CFD

Comment

• No kidding! I figure I'm going to see how it plays out for awhile and mess with the assistance stuff as time goes along. I want to stick with what I'm doing now for at least one wave and then possibly re-evaluate.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
          No kidding! I figure I'm going to see how it plays out for awhile and mess with the assistance stuff as time goes along. I want to stick with what I'm doing now for at least one wave and then possibly re-evaluate.
          Heck I would even stay with your structure for 2 more cycles(2 months). Either way wont hurt but if it aint broke then dont fix it.
          "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
          CFD

Comment

• Right - I just meant that I definitely wasn't going to even think of making changes until the end of one. I agree - I don't like to make changes until I feel they're necessary to continue progressing.

Comment

• Happy Labor Day...and by labor, I mean squats.

Warmup Squats: 5x155; 5x190; 3x230
              Work Squats: 3x270; 3x310; 7x345
              Assistance Squats: 5x10x190
              Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 3x10x80; 2x10x85
              Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes

...and now to let the remainder of the long weekend waste away...

Comment

• Warmup Bench: 5x95; 5x120; 3x145
                Work Bench: 3x170; 3x195; 7x220
                Assist Bench: 5x10x120
                One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3x10x45; 2x10x50
                Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

All in all, a good day. My chest felt a lot less fatigued than it did after last week's workout...hmm...

Comment

• I've always treated these endurance days as my version of GPP. It's basically a sort of maintenance of an area of fitness that I don't want to lose, but is not really first on the list to push toward improvement. After today, I can tell that I won't be getting as much distance in on the cardio machines during these days while on 5-3-1. My legs seem to stay sore a lot longer and that obviously limits that. I pushed myself HARD this morning, and the number are the lowest I've seen from this type of workout in a long time. I won't get upset about it, though.

I'll also blame work a little bit for this morning. It's been crazy for the past couple of weeks, and I didn't get out of the office until about 9:30 last night, after which I had to drive home, cook for today, and then eat (I was hungry) before hitting the sheets. I slept well, but that doesn't make about 4.5 hours enough. I know sleep is incredibly important, but earning a living has to come first. Hopefully I can get some good rest tonight.

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
                  Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
                  Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x150; 15x150
                  Elliptical: 2.39 miles in 10 minutes
                  Stationary Bike: 7.44 miles in 20 minutes

Comment

• I think this was one of the toughest sessions I've had in a long time. I still haven't gotten the best sleep - ANOTHER late night at work last night, but I'm happy with how today went.

Warmup Deads: 5x145; 5x180; 3x220
                    Work Deads: 3x255; 3x290; 7x330
                    Assistance Deads: 5x10x180
                    Bodyweight Back Raises (to failure): 28; 22; 22; 19; 19
                    Elliptical: 2.55 miles in 10 minutes

Comment

• Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
                      Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
                      Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x150; 15x150; 15x150; 15x150
                      Elliptical: 2.48 miles in 10 minutes
                      Stationary Bike: 7.51 miles in 20 minutes

My legs have recovered a lot more from squats and weren't completely destroyed by deadlifts yesterday. Today felt good, if that can be said of an endurance day.

BTW, I am RIDICULOUSLY ready for the weekend. I'm exhausted, and I'm excited to get to see former and current music students of mine perform tomorrow.

Comment

• You and me both! Yay Friday!
                        laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• I'm really excited about working on my overhead press. Obviously, as I've said, I haven't done a lot with it in the past, so I'm starting light, but like a buddy of mine said, "There's just something awesome about lifting heavy stuff above your head."

Warmup Military: 5x45; 5x60; 3x70
                          Work Military: 3x85; 3x95; 7x110
                          Assistance Military: 5x10x60
                          Bodyweight Wide Grip Pullups (to failure): 17; 14; 11; 11; 11
                          Elliptical: 2.58 miles in 10 minutes

Comment

• It was awesome to get out there to see my students perform yesterday. It was also great to see some people from the music education scene who haven't seen me in a while, and hear them comment on the changes in my build. I do get a bit uncomfortable when I'm complimented a lot, but when you've worked really hard for something, it's still great to hear some outside confirmation of the results!

Comment

• It was an okay morning. I probably could have pushed another rep on my heavy set, but part of the reason I'm using this program is to avoid complete failure sets on the core lifts (for the most part). It's okay, since the next light sets of squats completely did my legs in.

Warmup Squats: 5x155; 5x190; 3x230
                              Work Squats: 5x290; 3x325; 4x365
                              Assistance Squats: 5x10x190
                              Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 5x10x85
                              Elliptical: 2.51 miles in 10 minutes

Comment

• Warmup Bench: 5x95; 5x120; 3x145
                                Work Bench: 5x185; 3x210; 4x235
                                Assist Bench: 5x10x120
                                One Arm Dumbbell Row: 5x10x50
                                Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes