Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farmerson12
    replied
    Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
    Luckily for me, I don't have either of those problems - 5'6" with short legs. I just have to get that feeling cemented in.
    Ahh. Ya it will come to you

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Luckily for me, I don't have either of those problems - 5'6" with short legs. I just have to get that feeling cemented in.

Leave a comment:

• farmerson12
    replied
    Deadlift: 6x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x285; 5x315; 3x365
    Upright Row: 10x95; 10x95; 10x95; 10x95
    Alternating Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 10x25; 10x25; 10x25; 10x30
    Standing Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 6x65; 6x65; 6x65; 6x65
    Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
    Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

I thought I would be able to put more up on the hammer curls, but biceps were more tired after the upright rows than expected. I used to hammer curl 40 or 45, but that was before I really started caring about form, so I expect that if I looked at myself doing that I would be disgusted now...lol.

All of this was surprisingly cool with my shoulder. The roughest were the tricep extensions.

I was honestly surprised at how much I pulled. I haven't attempted heavy deads in a long time. I guess I really have gotten stronger. I need some work on form, though. I have to focus a lot on dropping my butt in setup and it's REALLY hard for me not to lead with the butt at the beginning of the pull. Luckily, a guy who used to powerlift was there and kept my on the straight and narrow today. He was a big help, and he's a cool guy. I know if I tried this much weight and didn't keep the weight out of my lower back, I would run a good shot of hurting something.

Random thought following this workout - remember to wear long pants on deadlift day...yeah...
    If you are tall or have long legs, like me, then dropping your hips will be tough. You can only do it so much.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Day 6 - Extra

Deadlift: 6x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x285; 5x315; 3x365
    Upright Row: 10x95; 10x95; 10x95; 10x95
    Alternating Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 10x25; 10x25; 10x25; 10x30
    Standing Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 6x65; 6x65; 6x65; 6x65
    Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
    Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

I thought I would be able to put more up on the hammer curls, but biceps were more tired after the upright rows than expected. I used to hammer curl 40 or 45, but that was before I really started caring about form, so I expect that if I looked at myself doing that I would be disgusted now...lol.

All of this was surprisingly cool with my shoulder. The roughest were the tricep extensions.

I was honestly surprised at how much I pulled. I haven't attempted heavy deads in a long time. I guess I really have gotten stronger. I need some work on form, though. I have to focus a lot on dropping my butt in setup and it's REALLY hard for me not to lead with the butt at the beginning of the pull. Luckily, a guy who used to powerlift was there and kept my on the straight and narrow today. He was a big help, and he's a cool guy. I know if I tried this much weight and didn't keep the weight out of my lower back, I would run a good shot of hurting something.

Random thought following this workout - remember to wear long pants on deadlift day...yeah...

Leave a comment:

• farmerson12
    replied
    I definitely do my best to take care of my shoulders. When something happens like what happened yesterday, I don't know that there is a whole lot I could have done. It has continued to improve through the day - still stiff and uncomfortable when fully extended straight up, but much better.
    Word. Sounds good

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Originally posted by farmerson12 View Post
    Make sure you work and warm up your rotator cuff well before and after workouts. Youll be thankful for it later. A great excercise before is shoulder dislocations(with either broomstick or band). Im sure youll also see improvement in your bench as well. Keep it up!
    I definitely do my best to take care of my shoulders. When something happens like what happened yesterday, I don't know that there is a whole lot I could have done. It has continued to improve through the day - still stiff and uncomfortable when fully extended straight up, but much better.

Leave a comment:

• farmerson12
    replied
    Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
    Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
    Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
    Elliptical: 2.40 miles in 10 minutes
    Stationary Bike: 7.62 miles in 20 minutes

I guess I'm pretty consistent with my cardio output for the time being.

Shoulder update - it got to feeling really rough last night, but after some sleep, it has loosened up a little bit. That doesn't mean it's good, unfortunately. Hopefully, it will keep recovering through today. I really don't want this to set anything back too much, but if I need to, I'll definitely take it easy to let it get better.
    Make sure you work and warm up your rotator cuff well before and after workouts. Youll be thankful for it later. A great excercise before is shoulder dislocations(with either broomstick or band). Im sure youll also see improvement in your bench as well. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Day 5 - Endurance

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
    Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
    Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
    Elliptical: 2.40 miles in 10 minutes
    Stationary Bike: 7.62 miles in 20 minutes

I guess I'm pretty consistent with my cardio output for the time being.

Shoulder update - it got to feeling really rough last night, but after some sleep, it has loosened up a little bit. That doesn't mean it's good, unfortunately. Hopefully, it will keep recovering through today. I really don't want this to set anything back too much, but if I need to, I'll definitely take it easy to let it get better.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I'm also considering the fact that I have still felt that my quads were worked. I have always been pleased with my quads progress and a little unsatisfied with hams. Maybe wanting more on the quads is just looking for some instant gratification, since they seem to grow more quickly for me. I may stick with a little bit more hamstring-oriented setup, as it can't be a bad thing for them to catch up. I guess I'll play it by ear as I go along.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Day 4 - Rep Upper

Incline Bench Press: 35x95; 24x95; 21x95
    EZ Bar Pushdown: 8x70; 8x70; 8x85; 8x85
    Lat Pull: 10x150; 10x150; 10x160; 10x165
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 12x45; 12x45; 12x45
    EZ Bar Curl: 10x55; 10x55; 10x55; 10x65
    Dumbbell Shrug: 12x90; 12x90; 12x90
    Elliptical: 2.42 miles in 10 minutes

Shoulder presses sure are tough after all those presses at the beginning. I hope I didn't hurt myself. Don't worry, not totally my fault. During my last rep of shoulder presses, someone was walking behind the bench I was using without paying attention and kicked the base. I was pushing really hard for that last rep and that caused me to lose control of the weight. Right arm fell backwards. Right now it feels like the shoulder and pec are a little tweaked. Hopefully that works itself out. At least he apologized, I guess, but owww.

Regarding the legs thing, I might play around with some variations on some things.

Leave a comment:

• farmerson12
    replied
    That makes complete sense. And yes, I did feel more in my quads through the day today, though it wasn't too bad. I wanted to try the Bulgarian squats since I've never really done them seriously. I'm thinking about what would make a good unilateral sub for them that might focus a little more on quads for the future.
    One good unilateral movement that will hit your quads well is barbell step ups(on a bench or box). Great excercise. Most lunges will as well. You also got me thinking so I decided to experiment and found a great one. Front squat bulgarian squats! Just set up like a normal bulgarian squat(with the barbell over your back) and perform like normal.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I should also say that while I don't do a whole lot of physical activity other than training, I have been getting as involved in krav maga as possible. The problem with that right now is that things at work are pretty crazy, so I never know when I'm actually going to make it to a class.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    That makes complete sense. And yes, I did feel more in my quads through the day today, though it wasn't too bad. I wanted to try the Bulgarian squats since I've never really done them seriously. I'm thinking about what would make a good unilateral sub for them that might focus a little more on quads for the future.

Leave a comment:

• farmerson12
    replied
    ll.
    Anway, if anyone has any suggestions on why the quads aren't feeling it, let me know.
    This can be somewhat expected and there is a reason for this(as stated by Joe Defranco, Zach Evan Esh, and other trainers and documents). This template is geared towards athletes and people who want to enhance their athletic abilities(while gaining strength and mass). In most sports, hamstrings(along with the whole posterior chain) are activated alot more than the quadriceps. For example: a lineman pushing pass an opponent. Even as a firefighter, I have had great experience directing more effort towards my hams, glutes, and lower back. Unlike other squats, bulgarian squats have a tendency to hit more of your glutes and hams than quads. However, you should still be feeling more in your quads. Especially with barbell squats. If you arent participating in any type of sport or similar activity, you can substitute another excercise for you 2nd or 3rd excercise.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I almost forgot, conducting last night through an over three hour recording session was great - an awesome experience. Also, a way to force my back, arms, and shoulders through some DOMS, lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X