Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Interestingly enough, I've gone from 165 pounds to 159 pounds in the last two weeks. I'm trying to put on some muscle, so I'll have to rethink how much I'm eating a little bit. When I started this, I actually increased my calories by a couple hundred (from an amount that had been keeping my weight pretty steady) with that goal in mind, but apparently I'm burning even more than that. Hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    The last girl I dated gave me a bunch of crap (jokingly) forever because she punched me in the arm and it left a mark for about two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• bull.dogz
    replied
    Lol, I do too!!

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Have I ever told anyone that I bruise extremely easily? This is the aftermath of this morning's session:

People seriously think I've been in a full-out street fight some days after krav sessions.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I've managed to make a new friend through using a powerlifting routine. This guy who I've seen a number of times has taken me under his wing as far as deadlifting goes, which is good, since I have the least experience with that lift. My rep schemes may not follow the WS4SB outline exactly, but he seriously helped me with my form last week, and this week hitting a new 1RM did not feel as difficult as I thought it would.

Deadlift: 8x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x275; 3x315; 1x365; 1x405; 3x315; 5x275
    Alternating Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 10x30; 10x35; 10x35; 10x40
    Upright Row: 10x95; 10x95; 10x95; 10x95
    Standing Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 6x65; 6x65; 6x70; 6x70
    Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
    Elliptical: 2.52 miles in 10 minutes

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I made it to the second krav class last night. I wish I would have gotten to both - hitting the intro class first really helps me feel more warmed up. This was one of my first nights really working ground fighting. That stuff will wear you out! I woke up feeling like I had slept in a ball last night.

Anyway...this morning...

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
    Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
    Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
    Elliptical: 2.40 miles in 10 minutes
    Stationary Bike: 7.60 miles in 20 minutes

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Incline Bench Press: 36x95; 25x95; 23x95
    EZ Bar Pushdown: 8x85; 8x85; 8x90; 8x90
    Lat Pull: 10x160; 10x165; 10x170; 10x170
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 12x45; 12x45; 12x45
    EZ Bar Curl: 10x65; 10x65; 10x65; 10x65
    Dumbbell Shrug: 12x90; 12x90; 12x90
    Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

I don't really have any additional comments about today. We'll see what I think of later. Hopefully work lets me get out and get to at least one krav maga session this week. I hate missing full weeks, both because I'm not progressing and because the fee is monthly, regardless of how many classes we attend.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
    Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
    Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
    Elliptical: 2.41 miles in 10 minutes
    Stationary Bike: 7.53 miles in 20 minutes

I was surprised my bike distance wasn't a little bit higher, but I've been feeling my quads more after yesterday than I did after last week's leg day, so in a way, it makes sense. I guess I was judging on the fact that I really felt like I was pushing hard.

Even so, I don't really worry too much about the distances on these endurance days as long as I feel like I'm going all out. I know the other things I've done during the week will have an impact on them.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Quick random venting - this is the second day in a row that I've stayed just late enough at work to not be able to make it to krav maga. I'd almost rather be there until really late than barely miss something.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Squat: 8x45; 8x135; 5x185; 5x225; 5x275; 5x315; 3x365*; 3x365*
    Bulgarian Split Squat (back leg elevated, holding dumbbells): 12x50; 12x50; 12x55; 12x55
    Lying Leg Curl: 8x130; 8x130; 8x130; 8x140
    Plate Pinch Grip: 3 timed sets to failure holding one 45 pound plate
    Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
    Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes

*The reason these two squat sets are starred (and the reason there are two) is that they were sorta half reps. Range of motion was not good. I never thought about the fact that having pulled that shoulder would effect leg day this much. It really didn't effect yesterday at all, but getting my right arm pulled back in order to support the bar for squats really got to it. As such, I didn't feel like I was giving much support to the weight and kept letting the weight push further forward since it didn't feel stable resting back and putting more pressure on that arm. As I got to 275, it started being an issue, but I took all the sets except the two at 365 full ROM. GRRRRRRRRR.....that really gets me upset, since my legs were feeling REALLY good today!

Anyway, the Bulgarian squats felt better. I found that if I put more emphasis on pushing my body forward, I get more feeling in the quads (of course) and also balance a bit better.

I tried just one 45 pound plate today due to my small hands and the fact that when I checked out the standard plates I mentioned last week, the heaviest available were dimes, and I was looking for more weight than that. The 45 worked well, and doing that in the same session as the Bulgarian squats is a grip killer (holding the DBs for the squats gets my forearms going hard).

So, here's hoping for further shoulder recovery so I can push that squat next week, although I'm not sure how quickly I'll be moving weight up. I, for one, consider it progress when I use the same weight, but feel more secure and confident in the lift...more in control. To me, it doesn't always mean I'm ready to stack some more on there, as I DO NOT like feeling like I can't control what I'm lifting, especially on squats.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Random thought of the night - I think the T-Bar Rows work okay, but there's a possibility that I may not have felt them like usual due to my lower back still being a little sore from Saturday. When I stretch now as I sit here, I can feel that the the lower, middle, and upper parts of my back have been worked, which is probably the point.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Bench Press: 8x45; 8x95; 6x135; 6x135; 6x185; 5x205; 5x215; 3x225 (no help this time)
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 8x60; 8x65; 8x65; 8x65
    T-Bar Row: 12x115; 12x125; 12x135; 12x135
    Rear Delt Fly Machine: 15x85; 15x85; 15x85
    Preacher Curl: 10x65; 10x65; 10x75; 10x75
    Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

A good morning. I think I could have been a little more confident if I wasn't still a little wary of my shoulder. It feels much better, but I don't want to slide backwards with it.

I'm wondering about the T-Bar Rows and how effective they are compared to other rows. It almost seems to easy to stand up too straight, but I guess since you're pulling against a fixed fulcrum, you're not pulling straight up, so that's okay, at least compared with standard BB rows, when it would essentially turn it into a shoulder lift. I have to remember that the direction of the pull compared to your back angle is the thing that really matters.

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    Week in Review

Today was a good day. I did get some core work in, like I said would happen. That was more of an adventure than I expected after deadlifts yesterday.

Anyway, this morning's gig went really well. The brass ensemble sounded great, and the substitute first trumpet was the new principal player with the symphony - she was GREAT!

I'm sure most on here probably couldn't care less about my musical adventures, so I'll move on to what I've thought about my first week of WS4SB. All in all, it's good. It's really interesting. Just thinking about how I've felt through the week, I have been more sore overall, but definitely felt stronger. That being said, I haven't felt as exhausted directly after individual workouts. I don't know how to interpret those two things put together.

Also, I was afraid of moving off of a split routine. I tend to need a decent amount of recovery time, but through this week, I haven't had issues with it. I just hope my lower back is finished being ore when I get to squatting on Tuesday.

Anyway, I like that I'm feeling stronger, whether or not I am, and I'm looking forward to next week!

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    And on the 7th day...

That's right, it's a rest day.

To be honest, I'll probably do a little bit of bodyweight core stuff at some point simply because it feels good to be active, but nothing too strenuous. My lower back is pretty much feeling it after deads yesterday, lol.

Anyway, church gig this morning - horn playing is definitely active enough for the morning! Side note - one number from the recording session on Tuesday is now on YouTube - my second performance appearance on said viral site - not a big hit yet, but I'm a classical musician, not Ke$ha...so...lol...

Leave a comment:

• AlphaBrass01
    replied
    I just saw that you're from Charlotte, Texas. While I really have no clue where that is in that large state of yours, I find it interesting because I am from Charlotte, North Carolina.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X