Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since I gave up on my last logging effort...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmerson12 View Post
    Make sure you work and warm up your rotator cuff well before and after workouts. Youll be thankful for it later. A great excercise before is shoulder dislocations(with either broomstick or band). Im sure youll also see improvement in your bench as well. Keep it up!
    I definitely do my best to take care of my shoulders. When something happens like what happened yesterday, I don't know that there is a whole lot I could have done. It has continued to improve through the day - still stiff and uncomfortable when fully extended straight up, but much better.
    We'll see how this goes...

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrass01 View Post
      I definitely do my best to take care of my shoulders. When something happens like what happened yesterday, I don't know that there is a whole lot I could have done. It has continued to improve through the day - still stiff and uncomfortable when fully extended straight up, but much better.
      Word. Sounds good
      "Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend" John 15:13
      CFD

Comment

Day 6 - Extra

Deadlift: 6x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x285; 5x315; 3x365
        Upright Row: 10x95; 10x95; 10x95; 10x95
        Alternating Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 10x25; 10x25; 10x25; 10x30
        Standing Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 6x65; 6x65; 6x65; 6x65
        Standing Calf Press: 20x285; 20x285; 20x285; 20x285
        Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

I thought I would be able to put more up on the hammer curls, but biceps were more tired after the upright rows than expected. I used to hammer curl 40 or 45, but that was before I really started caring about form, so I expect that if I looked at myself doing that I would be disgusted now...lol.

All of this was surprisingly cool with my shoulder. The roughest were the tricep extensions.

I was honestly surprised at how much I pulled. I haven't attempted heavy deads in a long time. I guess I really have gotten stronger. I need some work on form, though. I have to focus a lot on dropping my butt in setup and it's REALLY hard for me not to lead with the butt at the beginning of the pull. Luckily, a guy who used to powerlift was there and kept my on the straight and narrow today. He was a big help, and he's a cool guy. I know if I tried this much weight and didn't keep the weight out of my lower back, I would run a good shot of hurting something.

Random thought following this workout - remember to wear long pants on deadlift day...yeah...

Comment

Deadlift: 6x135; 6x185; 5x225; 5x285; 5x315; 3x365
          Upright Row: 10x95; 10x95; 10x95; 10x95
          Alternating Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 10x25; 10x25; 10x25; 10x30
          Standing Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 6x65; 6x65; 6x65; 6x65
          Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

I thought I would be able to put more up on the hammer curls, but biceps were more tired after the upright rows than expected. I used to hammer curl 40 or 45, but that was before I really started caring about form, so I expect that if I looked at myself doing that I would be disgusted now...lol.

All of this was surprisingly cool with my shoulder. The roughest were the tricep extensions.

I was honestly surprised at how much I pulled. I haven't attempted heavy deads in a long time. I guess I really have gotten stronger. I need some work on form, though. I have to focus a lot on dropping my butt in setup and it's REALLY hard for me not to lead with the butt at the beginning of the pull. Luckily, a guy who used to powerlift was there and kept my on the straight and narrow today. He was a big help, and he's a cool guy. I know if I tried this much weight and didn't keep the weight out of my lower back, I would run a good shot of hurting something.

Random thought following this workout - remember to wear long pants on deadlift day...yeah...
          If you are tall or have long legs, like me, then dropping your hips will be tough. You can only do it so much.
          CFD

Comment

Luckily for me, I don't have either of those problems - 5'6" with short legs. I just have to get that feeling cemented in.

Comment

Luckily for me, I don't have either of those problems - 5'6" with short legs. I just have to get that feeling cemented in.
              Ahh. Ya it will come to you
              CFD

Comment

I just saw that you're from Charlotte, Texas. While I really have no clue where that is in that large state of yours, I find it interesting because I am from Charlotte, North Carolina.

Comment

And on the 7th day...

That's right, it's a rest day.

To be honest, I'll probably do a little bit of bodyweight core stuff at some point simply because it feels good to be active, but nothing too strenuous. My lower back is pretty much feeling it after deads yesterday, lol.

Anyway, church gig this morning - horn playing is definitely active enough for the morning! Side note - one number from the recording session on Tuesday is now on YouTube - my second performance appearance on said viral site - not a big hit yet, but I'm a classical musician, not Ke$ha...so...lol...

Comment

Week in Review

Today was a good day. I did get some core work in, like I said would happen. That was more of an adventure than I expected after deadlifts yesterday.

Anyway, this morning's gig went really well. The brass ensemble sounded great, and the substitute first trumpet was the new principal player with the symphony - she was GREAT!

I'm sure most on here probably couldn't care less about my musical adventures, so I'll move on to what I've thought about my first week of WS4SB. All in all, it's good. It's really interesting. Just thinking about how I've felt through the week, I have been more sore overall, but definitely felt stronger. That being said, I haven't felt as exhausted directly after individual workouts. I don't know how to interpret those two things put together.

Also, I was afraid of moving off of a split routine. I tend to need a decent amount of recovery time, but through this week, I haven't had issues with it. I just hope my lower back is finished being ore when I get to squatting on Tuesday.

Anyway, I like that I'm feeling stronger, whether or not I am, and I'm looking forward to next week!

Comment

Bench Press: 8x45; 8x95; 6x135; 6x135; 6x185; 5x205; 5x215; 3x225 (no help this time)
                      Incline Dumbbell Press: 8x60; 8x65; 8x65; 8x65
                      T-Bar Row: 12x115; 12x125; 12x135; 12x135
                      Rear Delt Fly Machine: 15x85; 15x85; 15x85
                      Preacher Curl: 10x65; 10x65; 10x75; 10x75
                      Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

A good morning. I think I could have been a little more confident if I wasn't still a little wary of my shoulder. It feels much better, but I don't want to slide backwards with it.

I'm wondering about the T-Bar Rows and how effective they are compared to other rows. It almost seems to easy to stand up too straight, but I guess since you're pulling against a fixed fulcrum, you're not pulling straight up, so that's okay, at least compared with standard BB rows, when it would essentially turn it into a shoulder lift. I have to remember that the direction of the pull compared to your back angle is the thing that really matters.

Comment

Random thought of the night - I think the T-Bar Rows work okay, but there's a possibility that I may not have felt them like usual due to my lower back still being a little sore from Saturday. When I stretch now as I sit here, I can feel that the the lower, middle, and upper parts of my back have been worked, which is probably the point.

Comment

Squat: 8x45; 8x135; 5x185; 5x225; 5x275; 5x315; 3x365*; 3x365*
                          Bulgarian Split Squat (back leg elevated, holding dumbbells): 12x50; 12x50; 12x55; 12x55
                          Lying Leg Curl: 8x130; 8x130; 8x130; 8x140
                          Plate Pinch Grip: 3 timed sets to failure holding one 45 pound plate
                          Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes

*The reason these two squat sets are starred (and the reason there are two) is that they were sorta half reps. Range of motion was not good. I never thought about the fact that having pulled that shoulder would effect leg day this much. It really didn't effect yesterday at all, but getting my right arm pulled back in order to support the bar for squats really got to it. As such, I didn't feel like I was giving much support to the weight and kept letting the weight push further forward since it didn't feel stable resting back and putting more pressure on that arm. As I got to 275, it started being an issue, but I took all the sets except the two at 365 full ROM. GRRRRRRRRR.....that really gets me upset, since my legs were feeling REALLY good today!

Anyway, the Bulgarian squats felt better. I found that if I put more emphasis on pushing my body forward, I get more feeling in the quads (of course) and also balance a bit better.

I tried just one 45 pound plate today due to my small hands and the fact that when I checked out the standard plates I mentioned last week, the heaviest available were dimes, and I was looking for more weight than that. The 45 worked well, and doing that in the same session as the Bulgarian squats is a grip killer (holding the DBs for the squats gets my forearms going hard).

So, here's hoping for further shoulder recovery so I can push that squat next week, although I'm not sure how quickly I'll be moving weight up. I, for one, consider it progress when I use the same weight, but feel more secure and confident in the lift...more in control. To me, it doesn't always mean I'm ready to stack some more on there, as I DO NOT like feeling like I can't control what I'm lifting, especially on squats.

Comment

Quick random venting - this is the second day in a row that I've stayed just late enough at work to not be able to make it to krav maga. I'd almost rather be there until really late than barely miss something.

Comment

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
                              Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
                              Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x145; 15x145
                              Elliptical: 2.41 miles in 10 minutes
                              Stationary Bike: 7.53 miles in 20 minutes

I was surprised my bike distance wasn't a little bit higher, but I've been feeling my quads more after yesterday than I did after last week's leg day, so in a way, it makes sense. I guess I was judging on the fact that I really felt like I was pushing hard.

Even so, I don't really worry too much about the distances on these endurance days as long as I feel like I'm going all out. I know the other things I've done during the week will have an impact on them.

Comment

Incline Bench Press: 36x95; 25x95; 23x95
                                EZ Bar Pushdown: 8x85; 8x85; 8x90; 8x90
                                Lat Pull: 10x160; 10x165; 10x170; 10x170
                                Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 12x45; 12x45; 12x45
                                EZ Bar Curl: 10x65; 10x65; 10x65; 10x65
                                Dumbbell Shrug: 12x90; 12x90; 12x90
                                Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

I don't really have any additional comments about today. We'll see what I think of later. Hopefully work lets me get out and get to at least one krav maga session this week. I hate missing full weeks, both because I'm not progressing and because the fee is monthly, regardless of how many classes we attend.

Comment

Working...
                                X