This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday June 28th Day 179

Spoke to the coach today on the phone, and emailed him an update and got a response back. We bumped my carbs 5 grams lol...yes we see now for sure that carbs are needed for me. And, we've certainly identified a pattern, and even the cautious conservative Layne Norton (yeah I just bat signaled you, made you look!) has agreed with me that my body definitely does some kind of metabolic super-compensation response when we go from a severely depleted state to a high post show caloric intake for even a day or two, and the result is what seems like a couple weeks of progress in body fat loss in days.
    Pretty flippin cool if you ask me. But...its a double edged sword, I take it too far, like I did in 08 and I literally lost all my upper body fullness in a matter of days...its seems to be inverse to how depleted I am, and I was VERY depleted back then...but I do remember binge eating for nearly a week after my show with no fat gain, and I was sweating like a pig, unable to sleep etc etc.
    Nonetheless, Layne has decided that if a plateau does occur this is a strategy we can employ. Hell, its too bad we are just figuring this out 3 weeks from my last show under his guidance...but I've learned SO much during this prep, and I'm confident I can use the tools I've learned for the August and September show if I need to keep taking shots at this WNBF card!
    I also figured out, and confirmed with Layne, why my quad separation has been so finicky day of the show...well...because they simply DON'T flatten out....so when it comes time for glycogen super compensation, they are the first thing to spill...and I also realized that they were further "under depleted" from not being able to train them hard due to my injury, and had even more potential to spill.
    The good news is, I can train them hard now (just not really heavy), and we know what the issue is...before I didn't know if they were flat or spilled...now I know...so if they spill I can cut back carb intake day of the show and simply do some bw squats and lunges to get the water back in the muscle. Easy peasy.
    Lastly we discussed color, the dream tan was not so hot at the NGA we think because a)background was not very dark b)there was not just direct stage lighting, but also audience lighting, and dream tan looks bad and gets too sheeny with non direct lighting.
    The cap city is an ideal environment for dream tan...also, the application method wasn't very good, layne emphasized how it needs to be slapped in with the palm only, and so hard that it hurts...we got lax with that, and it probably was not in my skin as much as on top of it at this show. I remember it took more than a few days to get out the dream tan at the last show, but this time it was gone that night.
    All that being said....I still think dream tan hides the graininess in physiques...yes the color is great, and yes if you are uber lean it doesn't matter...but I have to say I think a dark enough professional spray tan looks better imho. Sorry Layne...and I hope I don't regret this, but I'm going to go with the Jan Tana company spray lady who will be at this show and who does all the NPC shows in the area.
    Lastly, got a kick ass Kettle bell HIIT session in today along with some ab work, I kicked up the intensity on the KB work and did single arm swings for my recovery instead of double arm, and MAN, **** was brutal!

Nutrition

working on 35/170/265

Training

HIIT, Abs

10 minute warm up on treadmill speed 4.0 incline 2.0
    16kg Kettlebell: 8 intervals 15sec/45sec single arm swings/single arm snatches (switch arms each interval)
    17 minute cooldown on treadmill speed 3.8 incline 1

Ab Crunch Machine
    3 sets of 6-7

Ab Coaster
    3 sets of 15-20

Stretching

Misc

more carbs, more cuts, who knew?
    Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Monday June 29th Day 180

Rough day mentally today, just was having a tough time getting my ish together at work and in general. Easily frustrated etc. The same feel I always get when I'm low carbs and my metabolism is working at a decent pace...SO that's a good sign probably, brain suffers and so does my fat stores lol.
      But, it also lends itself to self doubt, all I could see in the mirror today were legs that need to be leaner, i look at the pictures and I think "wow they made HUGE strides!" but I look in the mirror and it doesn't add up.
      Its good to acknowledge moments of weakness and self doubt, they MUST happen, don't pretend they don't, don't speak falsely about your confidence or your in-the-moment insecurities and play it off like you're 100% good to go. Acknowledge the weakness, let it go, and drive on.
      Nonetheless, had a very good push session I hit 225 x 10 on bench, that hasn't happened in months! Definite dieting PR!

Nutrition

1,676 28.5 143.4 211.5 (one meal left working on 35/170/265)

Training

Push Hypertrophy, warm ups excluded

Bench Press
      225 x 10
      225 x 8
      185 x 14

Machine Shoulder Press
      145 x 10
      145 x 9
      115 x 13

Close Grip Decline Bench Press
      225 x 8
      205 x 9
      185 x 12

Incline DB Press
      85's x 8
      80's x 9
      75's x 11

Strict Lateral Raises
      25's x 12 (3 sets)

Overhead Cable Tricep Extension
      150lbs x 10
      150lbs x 8
      120lbs x 13

Close Grip Push Ups
      BW x 20 REST PAUSE x 12

Misc

focus.
      Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• 3 weeks out cap city

[/QUOTE]
        Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Nice!
          laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• Originally posted by bull.dogz View Post
            Nice!
            thanks!

Tuesday June 30th Day 181

3rd low carb day in a row before the refeed, and I feel much better than yesterday, trained 6 clients today, took an A&P quiz, and had an amazing workout with Barb tonight...ho man it was good.
            8 back and bi exercises all supersetted, then HIIT after. WORK!

Nutrition

1,625 20.7 146.4 213.7 (one meal left working on 35/170/265)

Training

Pull Hypertrophy and HIIT, warm ups excluded

Rack Deadlifts, pins at knee SUPERSET Simultaneous DB Hammer Curls
            365 x 10//50's x 10
            365 x 10//50's x 8
            365 x 10//50's x 8

DB Pullover SUPERSET Cable Curls
            75 x 10//130 x 10
            75 x 8//130 x 8
            70 x 10//110 x 12

DB Snatch from Hang SUPERSET Seated Cable Rows
            55 x 5//180 x 12
            60 x 5//180 x 10
            65 x 5//180 x 8

Weighted Hypers SUPERSET Lat Pulldowns
            25lbs x 12//180 x 12
            25lbs x 10//180 x 10
            25lbs x 10//180 x 8

HIIT
            10 minute warm up on treadmill speed 4 incline 2
            8 intervals on tetrix stair climber 15sec/45sec speed 200/50
            17 minute cooldown on elliptical resistance 12

Misc

getting shredded by the day!
            Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Wednesday July 1st Day 182

Woke up at 183.0 on the dot. Big smile on my face, perfect timing for me to hit up my refeed today, right when I get all depleted and dip into fat stores...that's normally when my metabolism starts putting the temporary breaks on...so I was looking forward to refeeding today and getting everything back moving again....but holy ****...I felt more lethargic today on 295g of carbs than I have in a bit even on 170! I swear...my metabolism really does overcompensate in the acute response to carbs...I bet I'm lighter tomorrow...I wouldn't be surprised...if my weight loss stalls we might need to increase my refeeds...we'll see of course, hopefully I refed enough to keep my crazy ass metabolism doing its fat burning thing.
              Had a kick ass leg workout despite the lethargy, just really focused in, 2 plates on squats! I'm coming back, and I was able to do 1 plate on the lying leg curl single leg steelo...that thing is quite heavy on the bottom and I couldnt do even the base weight a few weeks back on my left hammie...its healing SO FAST!

Nutrition

1,960 22.8 248.6 192.1 (one meal left working on 30/295/240)

Training

Legs, warm ups excluded

Squats, close stance oly style
              225 x 15 (3 sets)

Single Leg DB RDL
              50lbs x 12 (3 sets)

Leg Extensions
              stack x 15 (3 sets)

Leg Curls, single leg lying
              30lbs x 6/side (3 sets)

Standing Calf Raise
              495 x 12 (2 sets)
              495 x 10

Misc

lets hope I refed enough...
              Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Thursday July 2nd Day 183

Definitely was NOT lighter this morning. I was 185.0. But, that's what a refeed is supposed to do...gotta remind myself that, AND about 70% of my 295g of carbs was from oats and I have not yet dropped the kids off at the pool...so yeah...that should be interesting lol.
                Had some mind games going with the 185 weigh in, but I just try to quiet my mind honestly. I MUST stop looking at my legs in the mirror, all I see is how behind they are. Definitely stresses me out.
                BUT, by the time workout time came around I was chomping at the fucking bit, did some work!
                Warmed up for my HIIT on the spin bike, and then did Kettlebell HIIT, 1 arm swings for the 45sec cruise, then a snatch to 3 turkish get ups as fast as I could move, took 15-20 secs, then switch arms, this was HARD, and man I was expending some calories! Then did 17 min cooldown on the treadmill, and then 6 sets of abs.

Nutrition

1,655 26.2 145.0 212.7 (one meal left working on 35/170/265)

Training

Kettlebell HIIT + Abs

10 minutes spin Bike
                45 secs 1 arm swings with 16kg kettlbell, snatch, then 3 turkish get ups as fast as possible, switch arms, CONSTANTLY moving no stopping repeat 8x
                17 minutes on treadmill incline 1.5 speed 3.9

3 sets Incline Reverse Sit Ups
                10, 8, 6
                3 sets Decline Sit Ups
                10, 8, 6

Misc

fat is burning
                Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Friday July 3rd Day 184

Down to 184.6, burning off the glycogen. Hit up a really good upper power workout today, but Barb tweaked her neck on the negative of some dips, luckily she got her shift covered on a whim, very lucky....they would have had to send her home anyway, she can't even move it.
                  Strength is amazingly maintaining pretty damn well on my push! Very happy about that...and I think I'm looking leaner...I dunno...I'm a wack job these days, think I'm behind one day, on track the next.
                  Planned refeed tomorrow again...sigh...lol.

Nutrition

1,984 34.2 166.6 263.6

Training

Push Power, warm ups excluded

Seated DB Shoulder Press
                  85's x 5
                  85's x 3+1
                  80's x 5

Weighted Dips
                  45lbs x 7
                  55lbs x 7
                  65lbs x 7
                  75lbs x 5

Incline DB Press
                  95's x 6 (4 sets)

Leaning 1 arm DB Lateral Raise
                  40lbs x 7 (4 sets)

Machine Chest Press
                  260 (stack +10lbs) x 6 (4 sets)

Seated Overhead DB Extension
                  95lbs x 5 (4 sets)

Misc

volley ball game at my uncles house tomorrow and big bbq...I'll be partaking in the volley ball portion only lol. Also knocking out some Pull Power and HIIT...gonna be an active day!
                  Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Saturday July 4th Day 185

Happy 4th everybody! Had a great morning workout with Barb today...well I had a great workout...she worked around her neck injury, its got her down a bit but she got the day off work and spent time with me and the fam and all in all is feeling better.
                    VERY strong this workout, and had a KILLER HIIT session. And had a lot of fun playing a couple games of pool volley ball.
                    Lots o' rice *****, rice and chicken today, and a big mushroom, romaine, walden farms salad, helped with the hunger which I am experiencing a bit more these days, must be getting lean or something

Nutrition

working on 30/295/240

Training

Pull Power, HIIT warm ups excluded

A1:Rack Deads
                    495 x 3 (3 sets) heaviest I've done on these in a long time...and I pulled from the knee cap not above it

A2:Barbell Curls
                    115 x 6 (4 sets)

B1:Barbell Rows
                    325 x 4 (4 sets)

B2:Weighted Hyperextension
                    35lbs x 8
                    45lbs x 8 (3 sets)

C: Lat Pulldowns
                    220 x 6 (4 sets)

HIIT
                    8 intervals on tetrix stair climber 15sec/45sec speed 50/200 (last interval was 25 secs GET SOME!)
                    17 minute cooldown on treadmill speed 4 incline 2

Misc

good times today

and here are the 2 weeks out pictures...there are some improvements, top of the glutes is leaner, and so is inner glutes...I took some without flash pics, but the camera shut down mid transfer, deleted em, and I was like, **** it. I got the ones I need to show layne (I link him here) the rest are for fun...and I'll be leaner in a week anyway

Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• not sure why photobucket didn't like this one...trying again
                      Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Monday July 6th Day 187

Came back for more today! The beast was swung, the olympic platform was used and the 16 kilo kettlebell got some action to. Co-starring the treadmill and some ab work tonight also.
                        Outside of my own training I trained a good chunk of clients today, and it looks like I'll be working with one of the managers at powerhosue. Young guy wants to get into bodybuilding, naturally, and knows he's got a long road ahead of him, we sat down and it looks like he'll be utilizing me as a consultant, I think its going to be a good fit
                        Carb taper certainly feels like its working...the drop to 300g today I can FEEL, lethargic all day...on 300g lol. CRAZY.

Nutrition

2,012 22.7 260.7 196.3 (1 meal left, end day goal 30/300/240)

Training

HIIT and Abs

Warm up
                        10 minutes on treadmill speed 4.0 incline 2.0

KB intervals
                        16kg double arm kettlebell swings 45 secs/48kg double arm kettlebell swings 15 secs
                        5 intervals
                        16kg single arm kettlebell swings/16kg kettlebell turkish get ups 15 secs (3 reps)
                        2 intervals (switched arms for second interval)
                        16kg double arm kettlebell swings 45 secs/10 power cleans on olympic platform with 135lbs on the bar
                        1 interval

Cooldown
                        17 minutes on treadmill speed 4.0 incline 2.0

6 sets of abs, machine crunches and ab coaster

Misc

cap city...12 days.
                        Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Tuesday July 7th Day 188

Man. Life is a crazy train to ride ladies and gentlemen. I don't want to go into full detail out of respect for my loved ones and family. But Barb and I had yet another bombshell dropped on us today. We just found out a very very close family member of ours has been addicted to meth completely unbeknownest to us for a LONG time, and its come to a head. We are worried about this person's safety as they may be a danger to themselves, and lately we have been rocked with a gambit of emtions from anger, shock, sadness, betrayal and denial. In the end you can't make someone do anything, but I hope we can help to provide a supportive enviorment so recovery at least feels like an option, but currently I have to admit I am very afraid of this person taking their own life due to the state they are in, either due to inadvertant overdose or an actual suicide. I think most of that fear for me is related to my father having comitted suicide only 4 months ago, and intellectually I may be able to tell myself that, but it does little for my visceral fear.
                          This journal has become...well...a journal for me, and I do realize its a public forum, and anyone can read and respond in any way to what I write here. But I respectfully ask that people don't pry into who this person is or the details. I've shared many things about my personal life here from my father's death, to my buying a home, to my job future, to my family life, injuries, trials and tribulations and personal life...and it is quite therapeutic for me to do so because the people following this journal are respectful and well meaning. I don't want that to change. I benefit being able to voice my experience, and I'd like to think everyone benefits when they see that we all suffer in this life, yet it is in our hands as to how we respond and that we have the power to treat every obstacle as an opporutnity for growth.

In other aspects of my life, training, diet and all bodybuilding related things...I am getting shredded and things are going well

Nutrition

2,149 25.4 245.2 235.6

Training

Push Hypertrophy, warm ups excluded

A1 Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
                          135 x 8 (3 sets)

A2 Decline DB Chest Press
                          110's x 8 (2 sets)
                          100's x 8

B1 Seated Strict Lateral Raises
                          35's x 10 (3 sets)

B2 Close Grip Bench Press
                          185 x 8
                          175 x 9
                          165 x 10

C1 EZ Bar Skull Crushers
                          80lbs x 10
                          70lbs x 11
                          60lbs x 12

C2 Incline DB Chest Press
                          75's x 12
                          70's x 12
                          70's x 11

D1 DB Flys
                          40's x 15
                          40's x 13
                          40's x 11

D2 DB Tricep Kick Backs
                          25 x 15 (3 sets)

Misc

we have unlimited strength inside of us. you just have to let go of your preconceptions of what you can accomplish and what you are capable of.

That being said...I'm looking forward to taking our hawaii vacation at the end of the year, and thank god I've got my massage tomorrow morning lol.
                          Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they get the help they need. My prayers are with them.
                            laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

• Originally posted by bull.dogz View Post
                              Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they get the help they need. My prayers are with them.
                              Thank you for that...I've really realized that in reality one can only help themselves...I'll be here for the person...but I can't drive myself crazy worrying what's gonna happen every second...so I'm really trying to let go.

Wednesday July 8th Day 189

Today was a rough ****ing day. The whole family member being possibly suicidal and the shock of finding out that someone you'd never expect has been on meth for 15 years was really weighing on me today. 99% of it was fear of this person taking their own life, and it lead me to a lot of unshed tears around my father. Tears are a good thing, tears are release, tears are an expression of the love you had for the person you lost. Your grief is an inverse relationship to the love you had for the one you lost, I write that with a big smile on my face because damnnit I miss my dad so badly and it just reminds me how much I loved him. I lost my **** in the car on the way to work, and then got it back together.
                              I trained 3 clients today and wrote some programs and had a good meeting with the crew at work, our manager is leaving, and she will be running her own bootcamp business that she started at our studio, and since the studio is done doing bootcamp she will run it privately, and end up making the same if not more money. Its a good split up, plus she'll still be working at another studio I work at...so I'll still see her

Getting to the gym today was much needed. It was about putting in work. 24 sets of pull, all super sets, with just bits of rest as needed, and then HIIT. I decided it was time to hit up the dead lifts. I've flipped tires, I've squatted, I've done 48k kettlebell swings, I've done stiff leg deadlifts with dumbells and barbells. Its time to conquer my fear. The hammie is ready to start returning to the deadlift. Not sumo yet, but good ole conventionals.

Nutrition

1,947 25.0 195.2 235.2

Training

Pull Hypertrophy, HIIT warm ups excluded

Conventional Deadlifts (double overhand)SUPERSET Pendlay Rows (STRICT)
                              225 x 16 (3 sets)//185 x 12 (3 sets)
                              holy mother of god this was like HIIT without the recovery!

Barbell Snatches from hang SUPERSET DB Alternating Hammer Curls
                              95 x 5//50's x 10
                              115 x 5//50's x 9
                              115 x 5//50's x 8

Lat Pulldowns SUPERSET Cable Curls
                              160 x 12 (3 sets)//140 x 12, 130 x 12, 120 x 12

Lat Pushdowns SUPERSET Seated Cable Rows
                              150 x 10//170 x 10
                              130 x 10//160 x 10
                              110 x 12//150 x 10

HIIT
                              8 intervals:
                              45 secs spin bike, hop off
                              20 secs sprinting back and forth from end to end of spinning room
                              17 minute cooldown on treadmill speed 4 incline 2
                              /\
                              ||
                              DAT SOME HIIT!!! breathin hard like a mofo

Misc

my hamstring held up not only to deadlifts with 2 plates, but also to sprinting....the deadlifts were conventional, and the sprints were only the length of the room so I couldnt hit full speed, but that was a good dip into the shallow end...hell the hammie felt more at risk doing the tire flips and swinging the beast...but hey, its been 6 weeks and I'm cleared by the doc...it was time to put some faith in myself. And of course. I prevailed.
                              Cap City baby.

Oh..best part of all of that workout...Barb did EVERYTHING with me. Deadlifts supersetted with rows, HIIT sprints the whole 9. SOLDIER!
                              Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

• Thursday July 9th Day 190

I'm doing a lot better today. Really embraced the truth that I have NO control over anyone else, and that I can spend my time worrying myself sick, or I can Just....let....go. And I did that today. In other news my weight fluctuations have been playing mind games on me...even though I know they don't mean anything...even though I reassure my clients 235325x/day for the same reasons with the same responses, even though I KNOW it is related to water, glycogen, hormones, meal timing, fiber, BM, and weigh in times...it still fucks with my head.
                                Barb has agreed to do blind weigh ins with me after this week if that works out and if I have more shows to do after the cap, she's a good partner. That way I never see what I weigh, I just put in the work.
                                Pretty lethargic on 150g of carbs today, VERY fuzzy headed, concentration was tough, I'm glad I'm not working at the studio tomorrow when I've got 100g. That'll be zombie mode lol.

Speaking of work...I was originally planning on taking it relatively easy since today was legs and yesterday I did a shit ton of deads. But I decided "fuck that". And got what I was worth. Went "heavy" on squats for the first time in a minute, and supersetted the entire workout. Barb was right there with me.

Nutrition

1,892 30.3 145.3 260.8

Training

Legs, warm ups excluded

Squats (atg oly style) SUPERSET Walking DB Lunges
                                275 x 5 (4 sets)//70's x 24 steps (3 sets)

DB Step Ups (onto plyo box VERY HIGH step) SUPERSET Leg Extensions
                                40's x 8/leg (3 sets)//200lbs x 12 (3 sets, but I did 13 on my third...just cuz)

Single Leg Standing Hamstring Curls SUPERSET Standing Calf Raises
                                40lbs x 12/leg (3 sets)//495 x 15, 12, 10

5 minutes stretching, this was one hell of a workout!

Misc

I'm very pleased that everything is coming together so well with my hamstring, 275 definitely felt heavier than it has in the past, but I think 285 next time, and a slow build up to 315 x 5 for 4 sets, and then switching back to high reps for the next cycle, and then coming back to heavy...and boom I'll be back at old strength levels...were talking 3 months and I'll be hitting prs on squats again
                                Controlled Labs Athlete

Comment

Working...
                                X