freeze dried foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeze dried foods

anyone ever eat/use freeze dreid foods? I've been thinking about trying them lately, to replace fruits I use in shakes or cooking mixes (not if Im just snacking on em I guess?)..

I've found them at this site below (link), and the cost seems reasonbly low for the amount . would be alot cheaper than always buying fresh fruits/veggies

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=261

At least in this case fresh Costco/Sam's club is still cheaper at about half the price. Or at least for now while berries are still in season. I know they also sell frozen berries but I think thats a little bit more, not sure if its cheaper than this though.

With that in mind this isn't a horrible deal (beats grocery store for sure), haven't tried the product so I can't speak for its actual quality.

Comment

the closest sams to me is like 30mins/25miles (according to mapquest).. kind of a haul for groceries each week or so, i contimplated joining and doing it, but dont think I will.

I didnt do any math, just figured it would be a better deal.

thats like 165$ for near 70oz of frozen berries, which they say are alot more plentiful

"Freeze Dried Blueberries can replace Fresh Prepared Blueberries at a rate of 8 to 1." (im guessing cause the freezing makes them lighter, so more berries per oz)

"That means that each can of Honeyville's Freeze Dried Blueberry is the equivalent of about 6 pounds of Fresh Blueberry."

the 165$ is for 6 cans of berries, so they say about 36 pounds of fresh berries...

that site has tons of freeze dried stuff.. i believe it is aimed at baking type stores, but I bought a bulk case (50lb) of steel cut oats from them in the past, and its great for the price! I still got about 15lb of the oats in old protien tubs !

I might pick up some bulk flaxseed, and try some of the smaller amounts of freeze dried stuff.. I love gettin my fruits/veggies in me, and this way seems cost friendly (if they ratios they say are true!)

Comment

Might not be a bad idea at all then. If you decide to go with something like this though, I noticed they sold just 1 can, might want to consider trying that out first. Depends on how bold you're feeling....36 pounds of something gross would sure take awhile to go through.

Let us know about the quality though, cause if it tastes good I'll def. consider it. I just don't know how it will compare to fresh fruit as far as taste/consistency goes. Like you said, I imagine if you're making a smoothie its not much of a difference, but I usually grab a handful of berries and pop em in my mouth every time I walk by my fridge, don't really know if they would be ideal for that.

Comment

yeah, ill have to see how it pans out -- might post about it at bb.com (more potential replies). will keep this thread in mind for the future though.

funds are tight right now -- spent like 500-600$ the past couple of weeks on supps.. will be getting boatloads of money in a couple weeks fall loans = woorah

Comment

i bought a small bag of dried blueberries yesterday from sams club... figure it might be similiar to freeze dried (?)

idk.. one of these days ill get to trying the freeze dried stuff out

Comment

Working...
            X