No announcement yet.

Looking for a workout program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you should start with the larger muscle movements/compound exercises. so the back/shoulders would precede any arm exercises.

(your arms are like 6% of the bodies muscle mass, again the legs are near 60%)

Comment

Ok thanks, I will do bigger muscles. Is it good to switch between groups or I should do all back, then all shoulders, then all biceps and finish with all triceps?

I saw on exrx.net that there is a lot of ways to do deadlifts. Do you know which type of deadlifts put the less pressure on my shoulder?
      My lower back and hamstrings area aren't trained enough with my current program.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
        you should start with the larger muscle movements/compound exercises.
        Today I tried that, it was my legs day. I add 20 pounds to my squat. But for the rest of my legs exercices, I did 1 or 2 reps less than my previous workout :-S

I think I understand now why people on Rippetoes only do 3 exercices per workout. But I still think this program is not for me, is it really as good as people on bb.com say it is?

Comment

your other exercises were lower because the relative muscles involved were fatiqued.

picture it like this ...

you do squats first, get the most out of that workout, which works the majority of your leg muscles. than you do the leg curls/extensions, calf raises, whatever, which works less muscles per movement. you wont get as much weight as if you did these first, cause you fatiqued the muscles with squats.

if you do leg curls, extensions, etc. first, than do squats in the middle/end of a workout, you will be fatiqued from them and perform worse on squats. this is a problem because the squat is the best of the leg exercises. also, the squat poses the highest risk of injury resulting from fatique. if your tired and cant get a rep on the leg curl, its no big deal.. if your tried and cant get a rep doing squats, can you mess your day up pretty bad.

IMO 3 exercises per workout sounds like a middle school boys workout program. unless you do like 10 sets a workout.

I personally spend like 30 imnutes doing whatever the core/compound exercise is for that day (bench, squats, deads, military/rows) and than another 30-45mins doing the isolation movements. my core workouts involve numerous sets -- a warm up, actual workout, and cooldown , with maybe 2-4 sets each. isolation movements i do 3-4 sets with 8-12 reps (varied occasionally, not nearly as much as the core moves)
          Last edited by jiritt0; 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Great, thanks mate.
            So when I will be able to do bench, deadlifts and military press, I will start a 3 days split like this:
            Day 1 - Chest+Shoulders (Main exercise Bench Press)
            Day 2 - Legs+Abs (Main exercise Squat)
            Day 3 - Back+Arms (Main exercise Deadlift)
            Day 4 - Rest
            Day 5 - Chest+Shoulders (Main exercise Military Press)
            Day 6 - Legs+Abs (Main exercise Squat)
            Day 7 - Back+Arms (Main exercise Cable Rows)

I did 3 sets of Straight Legs Straight Back Deadlifts today. My shoulder was a bit stiff after the workout, but nothing bad. But I don't know if it's a good exercise compared to real Deadlifts.

I think the last main exercise I will be able to do will be Bench Press. I assume Seated Chest Press on a machine is not as good as a real Bench Press?

Thanks again jdiritto, you really help me a lot!
            Last edited by patoff; 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

start with decline bench -- it takes alot of the stress off the shoulder joint.

the 3 on - rest 3on split you put up looks great! I have never tried this kind of split but i want to once i have the resources (i lift at my school gym, and dont go to campus on fri/sat/sun, would ruin the split)

make sure your doing stretching before and after lifting, or cardio for that matter. plus warming up your body (should have a little sweat going before you even stretch/lift), and cooling down (get your heart rate back to baseline once your done lifting)

def. put alot of emphasis into stretching and loosening up your shoulder!

Did your PT give you theraband things? or shoulder specific exercises?

Comment

Thanks, can't wait to start this program.

Yes, I am using some kind of elastic in four different colors. She told me to do my exercises one more month. I am doing some exercices for my scapula also. External rotation, internal rotation, cuban presses, pushups, etc. I have 7-8 exercises I have to do everyday with 5-10 lbs dumbells.

Comment

[QUOTE=jdiritto]
                  IMO 3 exercises per workout sounds like a middle school boys workout program. unless you do like 10 sets a workout.

QUOTE]

sorry to catch this one late in the game, but i highly disagree with this statement. rippetoe is excellent for a beginner. also i've made gains on 5x5 doing 3-4 movements per lifting session. i think that if you can do 10-12 different movements then you didn't work hard enough of your compounds.
                  -Kim

Comment

for a pure beginner, or someone with a pre-existing health condition, 3 exercises may be enough.

Quite frankly, I would like to see more, especially since a beginner won't be doing any single one exercise too intensely..

Of course, it is very individualized, so what works for me, you, or whoever, may not work for me, him, or her, and so on and so on..

I personally have never been to follow a formal program (outside the ones my HS strength coach made)

I find it most enjoyable to know what bodypart Im working, do the compound movement(s), and revolve the rest around how I feel/what equipment is available/whatever hits me etc.. Someday though, I would enjoy to do the two-a-day split from the Arnie textbook of BB... and maybe end it with the scivation showtime diet book i got, not cos I want to do a show, but solely for shits-n-giggles (and the beach body baby)

in summary: it all comes down to intensity. it doesnt matter what you do, or how you do it (outside of safe/proper technique), as much as the intensity is progressively overloading.

Comment

to each their own. i just wouldn't make big generalizations about things just because they don't work for you. i take lifting seriously and i don't think my routine is simililar to that of a "middle school boy".
                      -Kim

Comment

Working...
                      X