Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a workout program

Hi guys,

After 6 months of training, I had an injury, so I had to stop lifting for 3 months. Now I've been doing one month of rehab training and I am ready to start back lifting hard (my PT say it's fine)

Right now I am 5'10 150 lbs, still have some fat, but I need to get some muscle mass, my arms are 12" flexed :-S

I like to train 4 days a week. What do you recommand me? Right now I am doing 2 exercices per muscle, 3 sets of 8-12 reps :
    Day1 = Upper (Biceps, Triceps, Back, Shoulders)
    Day2 = Lower (Legs, Calves, Traps, Abs, Chest)
    Day4 = Same than day 1
    Day5 = Same than day 2.

Is it fine? Is it good to hit muscle groups more than once a week? Before my injury I was doing a 4 days split.

Here are the exercices I am doing

Biceps = Ez-Bar Curl, Preacher Curl
    Triceps = CloseGrip Bench, Pulldowns
    Shoulders = Lateral raises, front raises (I will switch to shoulder presses if my PT say it's fine)
    Back = Cable Rows (I will add Lat Pulldowns if my PT say it's fine also)
    Legs = Squat, Seated Leg Extension, Leg Curl
    Calves = Standing Calves raises
    Traps = Shrugs
    Chest = Chest Press, Cable Fly

Thanks a lot guys, can't wait to see your answer.

try this:

day 1 -- take out arms, stick to back/shoulders
    day 2 - stick to legs and abs (after legs)

add in

day 3 - blast the chest and arms

take a day rest, and repeat the 3 day cycle... so your going 3 on - rest - 3 on - rest - ...etc..

... on one leg day pick quads/hams to kill, than the next do the other one.. on one arm day pick bis/tris to kill, and on the next do the other.. on shoulder/back days, pick shoulder or back to kill, and on the next do the other

pulldowns are not a tricep exercise (pushdowns are..)...

add in rear raises for shoulders (posterior deltoid is neglected with only front/side raises)...

def bring back shoulder press ASAP (lightly at first, progress into it to prevent re-injury)

back -- rows rows rows.. and do more rows to make sure you get the rows in. they are the bomb.

legs - squats squats squats... lunges ..and more squats. calf raises, leg curls, leg extensions are a plus, but squats/lunges are the best

chest -- benches, all different kinds/different ways (flat, decline, incline, barbells, DBs, close, wide grips etc.) flies are good too, and the PUSHUP IS WHERE ITS AT ...you can do em anywhere, everywhere, and many ways for different responses

my .02

make a log so you can track your progress - though i discourge writing stuff down while you workout (lowers the intensity)
    Last edited by jiritt0; 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
      It's fine to train 3 days in a row? I thought that we can't train more than 2 days in a row. But I am fine with it :-)

And yes, I was meaning pushdowns.
      For the benches, I think I will have to wait a bit, it's pretty hard on the shoulder.

Now I was doing 2 exercices per muscles groups, which was giving my 8 exercices per workout. If I do a 3 day split, should I do 3 exercices per muscle groups?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by patoff
        Thanks!
        It's fine to train 3 days in a row? I thought that we can't train more than 2 days in a row. But I am fine with it :-)

And yes, I was meaning pushdowns.
        For the benches, I think I will have to wait a bit, it's pretty hard on the shoulder.

Now I was doing 2 exercices per muscles groups, which was giving my 8 exercices per workout. If I do a 3 day split, should I do 3 exercices per muscle groups?

Thanks a lot!
        It depends on the routine but usually people take overtraining way too seriously. I was taught not to worry about overtraining if your squatting under 300lbs. Especially if you have a non physical job. That's just me though, I may be a few light bulbs short of a christmas tree

Comment

what about lower back? deadlifts or hyperextensions? not sure what type of injury you had so hopefully it wasn't your back.

a lot of people may disagree with me but i think its silly to have an "arms" day. do chest and triceps together, back and biceps together.

also i agree w/jdiritto, for chest do benching.
          -Kim

Comment

agreed -- arms day = dumb (unless your competing)

the core exercises are bench press, squats, deadlift, bent over rows, and shoulder press. make your workouts revolve around them.

3 days on is fine, as long as your not targeting the same body parts back to back -- generally you should give a muscle 1-3 days rest before working it again (varies based upon intensity + your fitness level)

and I say to work a muscle group until you feel confident it is worked enough. it will vary depending upon the workouts. sometimes i do squats so intense i barely do anything else, other times i do squats more relaxed and can do like 6 other leg exercises.

the more you get into it, the more you will be able to gauge your body and the response to exercise you have.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
              agreed -- arms day = dumb (unless your competing)

the core exercises are bench press, squats, deadlift, bent over rows, and shoulder press. make your workouts revolve around them.
              hell yes. freeweights>machines, compound>isolation. keeping it simple will yield results. once you've gotten into your own groove you can add isolation where you're lacking if need be.

-Kim

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
                It depends on the routine but usually people take overtraining way too seriously. I was taught not to worry about overtraining if your squatting under 300lbs. Especially if you have a non physical job. That's just me though, I may be a few light bulbs short of a christmas tree
                Totally agree with you. Then again, we may both be sharing the same color straight jacket.
                kane@controlledlabs.com
                Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                www.controlledlabs.com
                www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimlin85
                  hell yes. freeweights>machines, compound>isolation. keeping it simple will yield results. once you've gotten into your own groove you can add isolation where you're lacking if need be.

along those lines, i think body weight exercises are the best too.

push ups, pull ups, chin ups, dips

you can get great results with them. and pushups can be done numerous ways for a variety of angles/work outs

+ core (abs) training is a must

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                    along those lines, i think body weight exercises are the best too.

push ups, pull ups, chin ups, dips

you can get great results with them. and pushups can be done numerous ways for a variety of angles/work outs

+ core (abs) training is a must
                    -Kim

Comment

Thanks alot guys,

Yeah, I know compound exercices are the best, but I am still not fully ready for those yet. My physio therapist told me to wait another 2 weeks before doing chest and overhead exercices :-S

My injury wasn't my back, it was my shoulder. So I must not put heavy stress on it, so things that ask me to lift my bodyweight like chins and dips are too hard for me right now. No bench press also :-S The only core exercice I can do are Squats and Cable Rows.

Can't wait to start doing chins and pullups again!

Comment

you should be able to put light stress on it, in a rehabilitative mode..

I once had a severe high ankle sprain. hospital people said i would be on crutches for a month and not be able to lift for even longer. I was off crtches in about 12 days, and doing full range of motion squats in under three weeks.

I credit my quick recovery to TO (we were hurt at the same time, he played in the supe rbowl and i played life) and my intense calf raise training protocol prior to the event. On the flip side, i had a friend with a similiar ankle sprain, he doesnt workout much /didnt at the time, and his ankle bothered him for months-years (havent seen since being an undergrad a year ago).

try decline bench press -- putts less pressure on the shoulder area

also, what kind of shoulder injury specifically?

Comment

It was a shoulder dislocation. I was doing incline dumbell press and at the top of my mouvement, my arm just felt down, with the dumbell and at the bottom the shoulder popped out :-(

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
                            Totally agree with you. Then again, we may both be sharing the same color straight jacket.
                            Mine's white, and I type with a pencil in my mouth. What colors yours?!?

Comment

I got a last question, today I trained triceps, biceps, back and shoulders. Here is what I did.
                              One set of biceps, rest 30 seconds, one set of triceps, rest 1 minute, one set biceps, rest 30 seconds, etc...
                              After my third set of triceps, and a 1 minute rest, I did the same thing with back and shoulder. After that, I did the same thing with a different exercice for biceps and a different exercice for triceps. Same thing with the back and shoulder again.

Is it a good way to train? With the warmup, my gym session is about 1 hour.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X