Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to start back to workout after a shoulder dislocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start back to workout after a shoulder dislocation?

Hi guys,

I haven't train for the last 3 months after a shoulder dislocation doing incline bench press. Now after a long process, my pt told me I could start to train again, but she doesn't want me to train in my basement with free weights, she told me I should use machine for the first months. I also need to add strength to my shoulder/back area

My main goal is now to start a clean bulk. I am an endo guy, so I don't have a v-shape. I would love to achieve this type of shape.

Before my injury, I was doing a 4 days split, 3 sets of 8-12 reps and 3 exercices per muscle groups. I was looking to start HST or Triphase after that, but I guess I need to start at a slower pace

Can you help me setup a program? I want to train 4 days a week, something like tuesday, wednesday, saturday and sunday. Should I keep the 4 days split, or do upper/lower?
    Do I need to focus in the 8-12 range, or go up in the 15-20? How many sets?

If I am training and I "feel" something in my shoulder, should I completly stop or if there is no bad pain I can continue?

Thanks a lot guys, can't wait to hit the gym again. I never thought last year I could miss the gym soo much.

give me time -- i will try to scan shoulder stretches + exercises tonight and post them (somehow)..

Comment

Great, thanks a lot!

Comment

before i do that, is it legal to post scanned images from a textbook on a forum like this? I'm not totally sure? I may have to just describe them and refer to text..

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
          before i do that, is it legal to post scanned images from a textbook on a forum like this? I'm not totally sure? I may have to just describe them and refer to text..
          I know that at school, the teacher can photocopy some parts of a book, but it must not be over 5-10% of the complete book. Same thing with Amazon, they can show an excerpt of a book, but not the complete book.

Comment

okay -- you sold me. tonight I will hook up th egood ole printer, scanner, faxer, telephone, mega wizard thing i have and scan the section on shoulder stretches + exercises..

my grad research is focusing on pitchers in baseball, and i got a couple text books on coaching pitchers/the mental aspect of pitching etc... the one has a good part on rotator cuff/shoulder care -- I have a student in one of my TA classes that has a similiar problem, and I have him doing all the stretches/exercises as well, he said last week he noticed an improvement in the injured shoudler even.. he never did PT after whatever occured with it ..

icetrauma has a similiar thing going on too.. the shoulder/rotator cuff is much overlooked by tons of every day people, until they injury it one way or another... which is ugllyy!! I remember when I tore mine in HS during baseball -- very bad pain for a long time, couldnt drive, turn a door handle, or even wear a book bag with a strap over that shoulder! got out of my first two-three classes everyday for PT too, which was grrreaat

anywhoo, check back tonight/tomorrow for them.. it could be alot of images, does anyone know how to zip them or whatever so it posts with less space/time and is easier?

Comment

As long as you provide refernces or direct links you should be ok. I would recommend strengthing your rotator cuff during your current rotation. This would help stabalize your shoulders. Here is the link to my current log http://controlledlabsforum.com/showt...6637#post86637.

Exercises I do are abbduction, adduction, raises and push downs.. I like to use the cables for all my movements but if you do not feel comfortable with the cable use the bands. Good luck and train wisely. Listen to what your body is telling you and you should do fine.
              Last edited by icetrauma; 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM.
              Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Thanks Icetrauma, I am doing all the exercices you are doing + 2 for the muscles that attach the scapula (forgot the name).

I just saw the pt this morning, she told me what I can and what I can't do. She doesn't want me to do any chest exercices, neither overhead exercices like lat pulldowns and military press.

I have a free access to a little gym with free weights, a weider machine, eazy curl bar, barbells, dumbells, etc. Do you think I can train there, or should I go to a real gym? The closest gym to where I live is 20-30 minutes of driving and it cost 250$ for 3 months. Or 400$ for one year, but I don't plan to go there a full year, I really like to train in the small gym where I live.

Comment

Could you guys tell me what you think it those exercices?

Shoulder
                  Front Raise
                  Lateral Raise
                  Rear Delt Row

Rotator cuff
                  Dumbell Front Lateral Raise
                  External Rotation
                  Internal Rotation

Triceps
                  Pushdown
                  Dumbell Kickback

Biceps
                  EZ-Bar Curl
                  Cable supine Curl
                  Preacher Curl
                  Hammer Curl

ForeArms
                  Wrist Curl
                  Reverse Wrist Curl

Back
                  Cable Seated Row
                  ****Any more ideas for my lats?

Traps
                  Shrugs

Chest
                  **** No chest for now

Abs
                  Crunches
                  Reverse crunches

Calves
                  Standing Calf Raise
                  Seated Calf Raise

Quads
                  Leg Extension

Hamstrings
                  Leg Curl

Comment

see attachments -- files might be huge pictures,i duno

all files found in:
                    House, Tom. The Winning Pitcher. New York: Contemporary Books, 1988. pg. 9-15.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot mate, gonna read this :-)
                      Your time is really appreciated.

Can't wait to take WF and GM tomorow and hit the gym!

Comment

no prob

i was going through some files, and i found old paperwork from my PT when I tore my rotator cuff -- similiar to the above but i believe a few more (?) ... if interested let me know
                        Last edited by jiritt0; 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I guess that's fine :-)
                          With what you gave me + what my PT gave me, I have almost an hour of RC exerice

About the exercices I choosed, do they look fine to you? Any idea how to split them, like a 4 days split, or Upper/Lower?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks again mate!
                            Just had my first "workout" today. Only biceps and forearms, and no pain in the shoulder :-)
                            Well, it wasn't heavy weight, but I prefer to start slowly.

Comment

Working...
                            X