The Stone Cold Truth About Fat Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stone Cold Truth About Fat Loss

This thread will be a constant work in progress, so check it often.

The two main posts will be 'updated' to ensure the newest and most pertinent information stays on top. The first post (yes, that would be this one) will cover some basics about losing weight, but more specifically losing fat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before we begin it should be noted that this post is written under the assumption that you already obtain a basic knowledge of nutrition.

1 - Diet, Diet, Diet.. - Similar to how business is about location, location, location, losing fat is primarily about your diet/nutrition. In my city alone (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) we have a ratio of 1:500 when it relates to fast food eateries vs. population. Yes, that means for every 500 people who live here, there is a fast food joint. This becomes more of a problem when you compare that to the ratio of people vs. grocery stores, which is 1:4500 (not counting gas stations) As you can see, we have become a society that prides (shames really) on convenience. Food has become more about taste, eating more of an experience, and nutrition a thing of the past.

However, the problem does not stop at McDonalds, it just begins there. Inside our grocery stores lies an abundance of unhealthy dietary options as well. It is often said that the only 'safe' part of the grocery store is the perimeter isles, which are usually occupied by produce, meats, dairy, and health foods. The key to solving these negative trends is education. Education about what foods are healthy, education about what foods to avoid, and education about the most important word in your dietary vocabulary... moderation.

Basic Guidelines for Dieting Success

A) Eat 5 to 6 small meals per day -

Eating frequent smaller meals, usually spread apart by 2-3 hours, has MANY benefits that relate directly to fat loss, such as:

- Assisting in the regulation of blood glucose levels
    - Increase in metabolism which results in more calories burned
    - Helps to balance nutrient timing
    - Helps fight urges to overeat/binge
    - Reported to help reduce bad cholesterol
    - Reduction of Appetite

Below are some charts to show the energy balance when eating constantly versus eating bigger meals less frequently, it should be noted that the same amount of calories were used in each of these graphs, just different meal timings. The red arrow indicates meals (energy intake) whereas the black represents exercise (energy expenditure):

B) Stay hydrated -

Staying hydrated is ESSENTIAL for weight loss, but why? Water has many roles in the body, such as:

- Helps to regulate body temperatures
    - Delivers nutrients/oxygen to cells
    - Assists in waste removal
    - Protects organs and joints
    - Proper hydration reduces water retention

These benefits make it clear that being properly hydrated is important, but probably the most direct fatloss related effect comes from NOT being properly hydrated. Dehydration leads to metabolic slowdowns, yes.. read it again. You can sabatoge your fat loss efforts by not drinking enough water! In addition, dehydration can lead to electrolyte imbalances which causes loss of energy.

So what does all of this mean? It means to DRINK MORE WATER. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men consume roughly 3.0 liters and women consume 2.2 a day. However, this very basic guidelines to not take into effect the water lost during exercise, sleep, or due to various dieuretic products (caffeine being the most common)

A final note on hydration is that relying on being 'thirsty' is not the way to stay properly hydrated. By the time you are thirsty you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration.

C) Caloric Deficit -

While this is arguably the biggest portion of dieting, I didn't want to scare anyone off too soon. But by now I know you are hooked, so time to delve into the deep waters of dieting. Operating in a caloric deficit, or taking in less calories than you burn, is truly the backbone of fat loss. This is something that while basic is often misunderstood. This is because each of our bodies are different, so finding the right caloric range is really trial and error. However, there are some formulas to help you get a starting point:

Basic Formula - Total bodyweight X 15 for maintenance calories, subtracting 500 to reach your 'cutting calories'.
    This formula is good for those who are just starting out as it keeps things simple. The downfall is that often is that for 'obese' people this often gives them too much of a caloric intake.

Intermediate Formula - Harris Benedict Formula

STEP 1 - Find your BMR
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

This number provides your Basal Metabolic Rate. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is essentially the minimum caloric intake to maintain basic life functions.

STEP 2 - Apply the 'Activity Modifier'

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Find the multiplier that fits closest to you and multiply it by your BMR.

FINAL STEP - Subtract 500 calories to find your cutting calories.

This formula provides an accurate starting point IF you use the appropriate modifier. Many people over/understimate their activity level which can totally screw this formula up.

Advanced Formula - Katch McArdle Formula

STEP 1 - Find out your Lean Body Mass.

Total Weight - (% Bodyfat X Total Weight)

STEP 2 - Find your BMR
    BMR (men/women) = 370 + (9.8 X lean body mass in lbs)

STEP 3 - Apply the 'Activity Modifier'

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Find the multiplier that fits closest to you and multiply it by your BMR.

FINAL STEP - Subtract 500 calories to find your cutting calories.

This formula gives the most accurate caloric range IF it is given a proper LBM measurement AND the right Activity Modifier.

MORE ABOUT CALORIC DEFICIT
    In addition to operating in a caloric deficit many experiment with various macronutrient breakdowns, caloric cycling, and even ketogenic diets. More info about those things later.

D) What to eat!

We know what our calorie range looks like, we know we want to eat every 2-3 hours, but what on earth do we actually eat? There are many 'diets' out there that promote various breakdowns as it relates to macronutrients. One of the most common variations is a diet comprised of 40% protein, 40% carbohydrates, and 20% fats. This is typically referred to as a bodybuilders diet. I encourage you to find your own macronutrient breakdown once you've obtained a solid knowledge of nutrition. Regardless of what macronutrient breakdown you enjoy it is important to ensure we are getting the right foods within each macronutrient:

Protein - The majority of your protein intake should come from whole food sources. Things like chicken breast, lean red meats, lean pork, turkey breast, eggs, and milk. You can supplement your protein intake with various protein powders as well. Males are generally advised to avoid soy protein in large quantities due to it's estrogen-like properties. Most diets recommend a diet high in protein.

Carbohydrates - The majority of your carbohydrates should be from Fibrous, unredefined sources. Things like vegetables, oats, beans, lentils, whole wheat products, yams, and sweet potatoes are good choices in this field. This is also the category where many fail. Simple Carbohydrates have a very limited place in dieting, but a LARGE place on our supermarket shelves. More on this in our 'foods to avoid section'.

Fats - When it relates to fats, we want to make sure we get plenty of the Essential Fatty Acids. Things like flax seed(s) oil, sunflower seed(s) oil, fish oil, olive oil, nuts, avacadoes, and natural peanut butter. These and other unsaturated fats are actually GOOD for you when dieting. Taking in saturated fats from eggs, cheeses, and meats is also beneficial as it relates to anabolic hormone levels. However, Trans-fatty acids are the enemy when trying to lose fat, as these have a negative effect on cholesterol levels and are commonly associated with heart disease.
    Last edited by stonecoldtruth; 05-22-2006, 04:14 AM.
    Back to the basics!

#2 - Training

An intergal part of any fat loss journey is obviously going to be your training. For specific questions about training methods/techniques, I'll refer you over to John Lee's Playground, as he is the official Controlled Labs trainer. However, we shall touch upon the benefits of both cardiovascular and weight training here.

A) Cardio, what/why/how/when?

WHAT IS CARDIO?!?!?!?!

Cardio is a medical term used to refer to the heart. From Greek kardia: heart. So cardio is our hearts? No silly :P Cardio is any exercise which raises your resting heart rate.

Resting Heart Rate

How to find your Resting Heart Rate -
    The best time to find your Resting Heart Rate is upon waking, while you are still in bed actually!

1 - Place your index and middle fingers over the outside of your opposite wrist, just below the base of your thumb.
    2 - Count the number of heartbeats over a period of 1 minute. This is your Resting Heart Rate.

For a more accurate RHR you can track your heartrate for 3 minutes and average out the results.

What your RHR Means -
    An average adult will run between 60-100 beats per minute, however for people who exercise constantly (ie all of us :P) this number may be lower. The lower your RHR is, the more physically 'fit' you are.
    Now that we know our 'resting heart rate', we can look at the opposite end of the spectrum, our Maximum Heart Rate.

Max. Heart Rate -

The easiest of all heart rates to calculate...

220 minus your age :P
    WHY DO WE DO CARDIO?!?!?!?

Cardio burns calories
    Cardio stregthens your heart muscle, making it do less work to pump more blood
    Cardio increases lung capacity
    Cardio builds endurance
    Cardio helps to reduce risk of heart attacks, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes
    Cardio has a positive effect on moods, sleeping patterns, and stress levels.

HOW DO WE DO CARDIO?!?!?!?

There are quite literally HUNDREDS of forms of cardio that you can take advantage of, here are some of the popular ones:

Walking
    Jogging
    Running
    Climbing
    Skipping (ie Jump Rope)
    Swimming
    Racquetball
    Tennis
    Basketball
    Biking (recumbent, mountain, or just riding a bike)
    Stairclimber
    Rowing (machine or canoeing)
    Volleyball

And the currently most used form of cardio (at my gym) the Elliptical Machine.

WHEN DO I DO MY CARDIO???

Let me begin by noting that the important part about cardio is that you do cardio, the rest is just added benefit. There are various times that you CAN do your cardio.

Upon waking - Cardio done upon waking on an empty stomach is a current popular method. The idea is that your body is deprived of carbs upon waking and will tap into stored fat as a primary fuel source. Opposers of this method cite that muscle loss is too much of a factor here, as well as a lack of intensity. However, using an EAA/BCAA product before/during morning cardio provides the same benefits while staving off muscle loss AND giving you more energy. This method is usually best done at a medium intensity (65-75% of Max Heart Rate)

After weight training - This is probably the most common method of cardio for most people, due to time constraints. After your strength/weight training cardio is not optimal when compared to the other times (ideally you want 8 hours between strength training/cardio) but it is still obviously better than no cardio! Many people advocate taking a protein shake after the weights but BEFORE the cardio, whereas others just wait until both cardio and weights are done. This type of cardio is usually best done at lower (50-60%) or medium intensity (65-75% of Max Heart Rate).

8 hours before/after lifting - This is the 'fairytale' cardio, this is when you are hitting your stride from a metabolic standpoint by reaping the benefits of both cardio and the earlier/later lifting while still allowing proper recovery for high intensity. This type of cardio is where you can begin to experiment with High Intensity Interval Training or Tabata Intervals, which can you find out more about in John Lee's training section.

B) Strength Training -

As it relates to strength training there are SO many programs out there, it is hard to recommend where to start. However, I will provide you with the RULES you need to know when weight-training while cutting.

Step 1 - Use good form
    Good form is probably one of the most overlooked things in the gym. It is too common to see someone throwing the weight around like it is a ragdoll, we are lifting IRON here people, so use proper form.

Step 2 - Intensity
    Regardless of the program you are using, give each session your all. I don't care if you are pushing up just the bar on bench press, push it up like you are moving 1,000lbs. Each rep is crucial, so don't slack on any of them.

Step 3 - Frequency
    Find a program that fits your goals and stick with it. I, personally, am a fan of 5 day routines while cutting, though many people go with a 3 day split. How often you lift, and how often you hit each muscle group, is going to be key to preserving the existing muscle mass you have.

Step 4 - Fear
    Don't be afraid to lift weights while cutting, you aren't going to 'get huge and ripped' overnight. In fact, while operating in a caloric deficit you will most likely NOT gain size, unless you are new to lifting. If you are new to lifting, welcome to what we call 'newbie gains'

Step 5 - Recovery
    One of the most important times as it relates to lifting is that time when you aren't lifting. Your 'rest' days are the time when growth and repair occur, so make sure you don't slack nutritionally on these days. Also remember that overtraining can lead to plateaus, so ensure you do give your body time to recover.

For more detailed training information, see John Lee's Forum here at controlledlabs.com.

Cheers,
    SCT
    Last edited by stonecoldtruth; 05-27-2006, 03:01 AM.
    Back to the basics!

Comment

COMMENTS ARE OPEN!

This took a lot of hard work and will probably never be fully complete, but feel free to comment away
      Back to the basics!

Comment

how about red acid?

Comment

Originally posted by Seroph4x
          how about red acid?
          I don't feel that supplementation is a worthwhile investment until the diet/training are in order. However, once they are, Red Acid is an amazing product for cutting weight. Adding Glycergrow alongside the Red Acid also helps to keep strength and mass up while dropping fat like a madman
          Back to the basics!

Comment

lose the fat

i am disabled due to stage 1 vascular necrosis , i need to exercise my protrudeing abd. but im not sure what exercise is right for me.
            Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
            This took a lot of hard work and will probably never be fully complete, but feel free to comment away

Comment

tfa

what kinds of foods have trans fatty acids in them?
              Last edited by stonecoldtruth; 05-29-2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nursedebi
                what kinds of foods have trans fatty acids in them?
                Trans fat is found in numerous foods - commercially packaged goods, commercially fried food such as French Fries from some fast food chains, other packaged snacks such as microwaved popcorn as well as in vegetable shortening and some margarine. Indeed, any packaged goods that contains "partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils", "hydrogenated vegetable oils" or "shortening" most likely contain trans fat.

Before the invention of trans fatty acids, we cooked food with lard, palm oil or butter etc which are high in saturated fat. Researchers found that saturated fat increases LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) which may increase the risk of heart disease.

Therefore, manufacturers started to use the healthier vegetable oils in their food production. As liquid vegetable oils are not stable to heat and can go rancid easily, scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed.

Similar to saturated fatty acids, trans fatty acids also increase LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) and lower HDL cholesterol (the Good cholesterol) therefore increasing the risk of heart disease. Some studies also showed that a diet high in trans fatty acids may be linked to a greater risk of Type 2 Diabetes.

What about "Fully-Hydrogenated" oil?
                Fully hydrogenated oil does not contain trans fatty acids. Instead, it contains more saturated fat (primarily stearic acid). Stearic acid is immediately converted into oleic acid (a type of mono-unsaturated fatty acids) in our body and that's why stearic acid does not raise LDL cholesterol (the bad cholseterol).

(taken from http://www.healthcastle.com/trans.shtml)
                Back to the basics!

Comment

Originally posted by nursedebi
                  i am disabled due to stage 1 vascular necrosis , i need to exercise my protrudeing abd. but im not sure what exercise is right for me.
                  I'll assume you mean avascular necrosis, either way though you should consult with your doctor about workouts whenever you have a disease/injury of any sort.

SCT
                  Back to the basics!

Comment

Very nicely written and researched. Again SC I remain a big (no pun intended) fan!
                    Millennium Sport Rep

Comment

Very nice.

I'd like to add that BMI is NOT a good indicator of how fat/lean you are. (and I'm glad you didn't use it in your post.)

You see it everywhere - the Body Mass Index. Doctors use it to gauge your health in terms of "underweight/normal/overweight/obese"

It's factored by your height, weight & age - and doesn't take into account your body fat % and lean muscle mass.

Me for example:

5'1"
                      142 lbs
                      15% BF

My BMI comes out to 27.96 and I am considered "overweight" by BMI standards.

Comment

Originally posted by short1
                        Very nice.

I'd like to add that BMI is NOT a good indicator of how fat/lean you are. (and I'm glad you didn't use it in your post.)

You see it everywhere - the Body Mass Index. Doctors use it to gauge your health in terms of "underweight/normal/overweight/obese"

It's factored by your height, weight & age - and doesn't take into account your body fat % and lean muscle mass.

Me for example:

5'1"
                        142 lbs
                        15% BF

My BMI comes out to 27.96 and I am considered "overweight" by BMI standards.
                        That BMI thing is crap they need one for athletes or just do away with it. According to mine I am obese!

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                          According to mine I am obese!

according to my eyes, i have to agree!!!

www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                            according to my eyes, i have to agree!!!

How did I know you would say something like that?

Comment

SCT's explanation of Trans Fat reminded me of this article I read the other day on new scientist. Interesting results on the tests they did. Made me think twice about getting fast food as a cheat meal or at least be a hell of a lot more selective for my cheat meal

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25565.000.html

Comment

Working...
                              X