Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice & Suggestions

Background:
    I am a 32yo Male, 5'8" and currently 185lbs and bodyfat of ~25%!
    I just started working out again almost a month ago after 7 years of inactivity. (Got married and now have a 5yo son after getting an honorable discharge from the USMC back in 2001)
    I joined the USMC at 130lbs and left it at ~150-160lbs.

I decided to take some CL Supplements to help with my program and found my inspiration also through Kane Sumabat, who is also a Filipino like me!

Short term Goal:
    Get defined and lose bodyfat and get 6 pack abs before summer is over, or ASAP. Drop down to ~15-18% Bodyfat

Long Term Goal:
    Get a physique similar to Kane Sumabat and get stronger and better and healthier. Drop down to 10% Bodyfat.

My Current Workout Plan is as follows:
    Mon, Wed & Fri: 10 min Warm-up run then weights then 10 min post-workout run.
    Tues & Thurs: Yoga
    6-7am Mon-Fri: Walk/Jog/Run 3 miles with dog.
    7-8pm: 30-45min Walk with dog.
    Weekends: Rest

This is what I use currently:
    Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder: 1 serving post-workout & 1 serving Pre-bed.
    White Flood: 1 serving 30-45min Pre-workout
    Purple Wraath: 1 serving Intra-workout
    Creatine Mono: 5g post-workout with protein shake
    GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil: 1 tablet with dinner
    NOW Adam: 1 tablet with breakfast & 1 tablet with dinner
    Life Extension Mega Silymarin: 1 tablet/day with breakfast

From what I have been told this is the cycling I need to do with the CL Supplements:
    White Flood: 4 weeks on, 1 week off
    Purple Wraath: No cycling needed

Questions:

I am thinking of getting GreenMag and replace my Creatine Mono with it.
    Should I use it Pre or Post workout? I can easily drink it 5 mins after a workout or mix it with White Flood/Glycergrow Pre-workout, which is best?
    What is the cycling for it?

I am also thinking of getting GlycerGrow so I can use it when I am cycling off from White Flood.
    How should I use it properly? Just take it 30-45min Pre-workout as well like WF?

Another Question:
    I am trying to get rid of the bodyfat that I have accumulated with the 7 years of inactivity.
    So I am thinking that I may have to "Cut" 1st?
    From what I read I will have to decrease my calorie intake to about 1850-2400 cal/day with my current weight.

Question is:
    Will any of the supplements I am taking now and plan to add not work with my current goal?
    Am I taking any of this supplements the wrong way?
    Am I right to think that I will need to "Cut" 1st to lose the fat and regain definition? Then "bulk" up back to my current weight but have the fat replaced with muscle? or should I stay on a maintenance caloric intake and just workout normally?
    Last edited by Kilim; 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM.
    My BodySpace

My Workout Journal/Log '08 ---> Kilim's REDuction: Biggest WINNER Contest log ---> Kilim's StrongLifts 5x5 Journal

Workout Planner Spreadsheet for MS Excel

My White Flood + GreenMag + Purple Wraath: 2 Week Use Review

1) Welcome to CL !!

2) AWESOME intro

3) I may have missed it, but how long are your gym sessions, and what is the rep range / protocol there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilim
      I am thinking of getting GreenMag and replace my Creatine Mono with it.
      Should I use it Pre or Post workout? I can easily drink it 5 mins after a workout or mix it with White Flood/Glycergrow Pre-workout, which is best?
      What is the cycling for it?
      a) Pre-workout (unless you have a very sensitive stomach), no cycling

b) Depending on how much mono you have left, you may be able to dump the mono into the MAGnitude tub and shake it up....giving you the best of both worlds (flavor, MAGnitude and several more servings).

Comment

Another Question:
        I am trying to get rid of the bodyfat that I have accumulated with the 7 years of inactivity.
        So I am thinking that I may have to "Cut" 1st?
        From what I read I will have to decrease my calorie intake to about 1850-2400 cal/day with my current weight.
        Agreed, I like your short term goal of cutting down over this summer. Macronutrient breakdown would be pretty important IMO... not just total daily calorie intake.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
          3) I may have missed it, but how long are your gym sessions, and what is the rep range / protocol there ?
          I was following my Marine Buddy's program for 2 weeks until I realized that A) His program is too advanced for me and B) I need to start slow and relearn the basics.
          So I started doing britlifter's program from Bodybuilding.com.
          WEEK 1

Monday
          Squat 2-3 x 5, 1 x 10
          Ham Work 3 x 8
          BB Row 4 x 6
          Bicep Iso 3 x 8

Wednesday
          Bench Press 3 x 5
          Dips 3 x 6-8
          OH Press 3 x 6-8
          Tricep Iso 2 x 8

Friday
          Deadlift 2 x 5, 1 x 3
          Leg Press 2-3 x 10
          Wide Grip Pullups 4 x 8
          Bicep Iso 3 x 8

WEEK 2

Monday
          Bench Press 3 x 5
          Dips 3 x 6-8
          OH Press 3 x 6-8
          Tricep Iso 3 x 8

Wednesday
          Squat 2-3 x 5, 1 x 10
          Ham Work 3 x 8
          Pullups/ DB Row 3 x 8
          Bicep Iso 3 x 8

Friday
          Bench Press 3 x 5
          Incline Press 2-3 x 10
          OH Press 3 x 6-8
          Tricep Iso 3 x 8

Repeat
          I Start with a 10min warmup run and end with a 10min post-workout run.
          I think I lift for at least 1 hour.
          I warm-up each exercise doing the following:
          (approx weight x Reps x Set)

Bar x 5 x 2
          50% x 5 x 1
          75% x 3 x 1
          85% x 2 x 1
          Agreed, I like your short term goal of cutting down over this summer. Macronutrient breakdown would be pretty important IMO... not just total daily calorie intake.
          What you mean by Macronutrient breakdown?

Also, how about the GlycerGrow?

And will taking any of these supplements actually work against my goal?

Otherwise.
          Are my plans good so far or any other suggestions/recommendations?
          Last edited by Kilim; 06-05-2008, 03:43 PM.
          My BodySpace

My Workout Journal/Log '08 ---> Kilim's REDuction: Biggest WINNER Contest log ---> Kilim's StrongLifts 5x5 Journal

Comment

What you mean by Macronutrient breakdown?
            Daily:

Protein: ______ %
            Carbs:______ %
            Fats:______ %

Weekly:

Comment

Daily:

Weekly:

Ahhh!
              I was just reading this article that was linked from somewhere.
              ****Guide to Cutting, Bulking & Maintenance****

From that and what I understand (correct me if I am wrong please) this is what I need to do:

Cutting: 10-13 calories/day/lb of weight = 1850-2405 calories/day for me.

And using the 40/40/20 protein/Carb/Fat ratio, I should be trying to get:
              Protein: 220g/day
              Carbs: 220g/day
              Fats: 49g/day

I am trying hard to figure out how to monitor and check my calories.
              Right now I just found an online site called: http://my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com .
              It is free for now and still looking at better and easier to monitor my calorie intake.
              My BodySpace

Comment

I am trying hard to figure out how to monitor and check my calories.
                Right now I just found an online site called: http://my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com .
                It is free for now and still looking at better and easier to monitor my calorie intake.
                fitday.com

Comment

Originally posted by ocsmidnight
                  fitday.com
                  That is actually what I tried 1st.
                  Then I stumbled upon what I use now and I like it better.

my-calorie-counter.com has more features in it, 1 of them is that you can actually separate the meals between Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snack.

But I was only using the Free online service on FitDay.com not sure if the program you buy is better.
                  if you have the PC Program that you have to buy, can you check out my-calorie-counter.com and see which 1 is better in your opinion?

Addendum:
                  I think I found another better free online nutrition & exercise tracker: http://www.sparkpeople.com
                  Last edited by Kilim; 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM.
                  My BodySpace

Comment

b) Depending on how much mono you have left, you may be able to dump the mono into the MAGnitude tub and shake it up....giving you the best of both worlds (flavor, MAGnitude and several more servings).
                    So I just got my tub of GreenMag 1.83lbs (835 grams)!

I am trying to have an honest estimate of my creatine leftover.
                    I think I have around 800g of Prolab Creatine Monohydrate left over after calculating my useage of it.

About how much of the Prolab Creatine should I add per 1.83lbs of GreenMag? or per scoop?
                    And about when should I take GreenMag alone when on non-workout days?

Addendum:

I just had a serving of 1 scoop GreenMag on 10oz of Water.
                    OMG, it tastes good!
                    Wish the White Flood Tastes about the same.
                    Maybe it will make my WF tastes better when I mix GM with it on workout days!

I also just finished redoing my plan for starting this monday after gathering more info for my goal!
                    Going to try out what I read in this article here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm while staying on the same workout plan.

New Schedule:

Mon, Wed, & Fri:
                    AM 20min Cardio (Light Jog) , PM Lift (sometime after lunch) w/ 10min warmup + 20min Post-workout Cardio (High Incline Treadmill)
                    Tues & Thursday: HIT Cardio (20mins total) (Saturday is optional day)
                    Weekends: Rest

Supplement Intake Plan:

AM Cardio: 1 scoop White Flood + 1 scoop Purple Wraath
                    PM Lifting: 1 scoop White Flood + 1 scoop GreenMag Pre-workout & 1 scoop Purple Wraath Intra-workout
                    HIT Cardio Day: 1 scoop White Flood + 1 scoop GreenMag (debating on adding 1 scoop Purple Wraath into the pre-cardio shake)
                    Weekends: 1 scoop GreenMag either 1st thing in the morning or in the afternoon after lunch.

Protein Shake:
                    1 serving Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder after PM Lift & HIT Cardio.
                    1 serving ON 100% Casein Protein Powder Pre-bed EVERY Night.
                    Both with 8oz Lactaid Lactose Free, Fat Free Milk.
                    This is just while I am on my Cutting Phase.

I will try to figure out what to do next soemtime around fall/winter for bulking.
                    Last edited by Kilim; 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM.
                    My BodySpace

Comment

Also, how about the GlycerGrow?
                      It's one of Kane's favorites I think

Give it a few weeks to fully kick in =

Comment

I don't know if I actually got ALot stronger, or its the supplements, or BOTH! lol.
                        My lifting this week (I started White Flood + GreenMag this week) has improved by at least 20%
                        Can see the improvements on my progress chart on my BodySpace.
                        My BodySpace

Comment

I don't know if I actually got ALot stronger, or its the supplements, or BOTH! lol.
                          My lifting this week (I started White Flood + GreenMag this week) has improved by at least 20%
                          Can see the improvements on my progress chart on my BodySpace.

Crazy tat / badass photos !!
                          Last edited by pu12en12g; 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I can't wait to post my progress pics in a few months
                            My BodySpace

Comment

1st
                              I made a thread for the spreadsheet I have made.
                              You can find the latest versions here:
                              2nd

6/9/08 to 6/15/08 Progress Report
                              Weight: Start 185 / End 183.4
                              Bodyfat %: Start Unknown / End 26.2%
                              Squat: Start: 185 / End: 190
                              Alt. Leg Curl: Start: 70 / End 75
                              BB Bent-over Row Start: 95 / End 120
                              BB Bicep Curl: Start 55 / End 65
                              Bench Press: Start 120 End 130
                              Standing Overhead Press: Start 60 / End 75
                              Tricep Pushdown: Start 55 / End65
                              Alt. Tricep Pushdown: Start N/A / End 20
                              Deadlift: Start 175 / End 205
                              Leg Press: Start 270 / End 320

1 RM Progress
                              Exercise: Start / End

Bench: 136 / 147
                              Squat: 231 / 214 (realized form was wrong on start and did it properly with less weight this week)
                              Deadlift: 191 / 228
                              BB Bicep Curl: 69 / 81
                              BB Bent-over Row: 117 / 140
                              Standing Overhead Press: 81 / 94

3rd

Typical Daily Schedule
                              Lifiting Days (Mon, Wed, & Fri)
                              6am = Wakeup and intake 2 tablets Lipo-6x with 16-20oz water
                              6:30 = Light Jog for 20-30mins with 1/2-1 scoop Purple Wraath in 20oz water
                              9 = Breakfast + 1 Tablet NOW Adam + 1 Tablet Life Extension Mega Silymarin
                              10:15= Chug 1 scoop GreenMag + 1 1/2 scoop White Flood + 2.5g Creatine (just using up leftovers) in 10oz water
                              10:45 = Start sipping 1 scoop Purple Wraath in 10oz water on the way to gym.
                              11 = Start 10min Pre-workout Max Incline Treadmill Walk (Finish PW mix while doing this)
                              11:11 = Refill Water Bottle and start Lifting
                              12:15 = Refill Water Bottle and start Start 20min Post-workout Max Incline Treadmill Cooldown
                              12:40 = Take 2 tablets Lipo-6x
                              12:45 = Chug 1 serving Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder in 8oz Lactaid Fat Free Milk + 2.5g Creatine (just using up leftovers)
                              1-130: Lunch
                              3-4 = Snack
                              6-7 = Dinner with 1 tablet NOW Adam + 1 tablet GNC Triple Stregth Fish Oil
                              9-10 = Pre-bed Shake (1 serving ON 100% Casein Protein Powder in 8oz Lactaid Fat Free Milk + 1 tbls Barleans high Lignan's Flax Seed Oil)
                              11-12 = Bed

HIT Cardio Days (Tues, Thurs, sometimes Sat)
                              * Take 1 scoop GreenMag in 8oz Water Before Breakfast or Before Lunch
                              6am = Wakeup and take 2 tablets Lipo-6x with 16-20oz water
                              6:30 = HIT Cardio
                              9 = Breakfast + 1 Tablet NOW Adam + 1 Tablet Life Extension Mega Silymarin
                              12 = Take 2 tablet Lipo-6x then Eat Lunch
                              3 = Snack
                              6-7 = Dinner with 1 tablet NOW Adam + 1 Tablet GNC triple Stregth Fish Oil
                              9-10 = Pre-bed Shake (1 serving ON 100% Casein Protein Powder in 8oz Lactaid Fat Free Milk + 1 tbls Barleans high Lignan's Flax Seed Oil)
                              11-12 = Bed

Off Days (Sunday sometimes Sat)
                              * Take 1 scoop Greenmag in 8oz Water Before Breakfast or Before Lunch
                              * Wakeup and take 2 tablets Lipo-6x with 16-20oz water
                              * Breakfast + 1 Tablet NOW Adam + 1 Tablet Life Extension Mega Silymarin
                              * Take 2 tablet Lipo-6x then Eat Lunch
                              * Pre-bed Shake (1 serving ON 100% Casein Protein Powder in 8oz Lactaid Fat Free Milk + 1 tbls Barleans high Lignan's Flax Seed Oil)

I started the WF+GM+PW Stack properly this week and I belive that it did help improve me for the better!
                              the comparison on lifting progress from the week I was using BSN No-explode and when I was not using anything and now the CL Stack --- It shows it helps me out
                              My BodySpace

Comment

Working...
                              X