Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My left shoulder doesn't like skull crushers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My left shoulder doesn't like skull crushers.

Or, at least, I am not sure if I am doing them correctly. heh

Here's my situation:

I am deploed to Iraq. I don't have a spotter. Most soldiers that lift weights (F'n tools) are not people I want advice from. There are maybe 4 people I have seen in the gym regularly that might have a clue, but I lift heavier than them. So, I have the internet and can look up anything I want, but, since I am still fairly new to weights, I am not sure who's advice to trust. I am hoping to get some solid advice from the fine people here, as, for whatever reason, I still can't post on bb.com. heh

I think my elbows spread too far apart when I am doing skull crushers. I am usually stuck using an EZ bar, as there are three of those in the gym and only one shorty straight bar. When I put the weights on and get into possition and extend my arms, my left shoulder feels like it wants to rotate out of place away from my colar bone, if that makes any sense. I do my best to keep my elbows in, but I suck, and even if I lighten the weight up, I still do that. Actually, I think my form is better if I load the bar. (I usually put ~95lbs on the bar for 4x6 supersetted with curls of usually the same weight, though I have to drop ~5-10lbs for the last set of curls as my biceps just suck.)

I have been doing seated over the head tricep extensions, but they feel really awkward as I am still getting used to them, and I can't seem to use as much weight as I'd like, nor do I feel like I get as good a workout from these.

So, are there any tips to not killing my shoulders doing skull crushers, or some other excercises that I can do to strengthen my should to avoid exacerbating this issue?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Not so obvious and ruthlessly odd.

Originally posted by The_Beave
    Or, at least, I am not sure if I am doing them correctly. heh

Here's my situation:

I am deploed to Iraq. I don't have a spotter. Most soldiers that lift weights (F'n tools) are not people I want advice from. There are maybe 4 people I have seen in the gym regularly that might have a clue, but I lift heavier than them. So, I have the internet and can look up anything I want, but, since I am still fairly new to weights, I am not sure who's advice to trust. I am hoping to get some solid advice from the fine people here, as, for whatever reason, I still can't post on bb.com. heh

I think my elbows spread too far apart when I am doing skull crushers. I am usually stuck using an EZ bar, as there are three of those in the gym and only one shorty straight bar. When I put the weights on and get into possition and extend my arms, my left shoulder feels like it wants to rotate out of place away from my colar bone, if that makes any sense. I do my best to keep my elbows in, but I suck, and even if I lighten the weight up, I still do that. Actually, I think my form is better if I load the bar. (I usually put ~95lbs on the bar for 4x6 supersetted with curls of usually the same weight, though I have to drop ~5-10lbs for the last set of curls as my biceps just suck.)

I have been doing seated over the head tricep extensions, but they feel really awkward as I am still getting used to them, and I can't seem to use as much weight as I'd like, nor do I feel like I get as good a workout from these.

So, are there any tips to not killing my shoulders doing skull crushers, or some other excercises that I can do to strengthen my should to avoid exacerbating this issue?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Maybe experiment with using dumbells for your skull crushers for now. Sometimes a tightness in the wrist while pronating can affect the position of the elbows and then the rotators. If that doesn't help, drop the exercise for awhile and then after a few weeks pick it up again.
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Thanks. I will attempt using dumbells, though, I am not terribly coordinated (or flexible, for that matter) so that might pose its own interesting challenged.
      Not so obvious and ruthlessly odd.

Comment

My bro has that same problem, but with his right shoulder. He stays with french pressing(overhead triceps extension) for his triceps. I can't do the french presses cause my left shoulder really starts to ache somewhere in the joints, so I can only do the lying tri extension. So I understand what you mean entirely. Just use a weight you can handle and a weightlifting belt helps alot with keeping your back supported well for the french presses. You can also lean your back against the bench if the incline goes up perpendicular to the floor.

Timberwolf are dumbells really great for adding mass? I thought they were more for isolation exercises, are they less or more effective than using barbells?
        Last edited by Starless_Eyes; 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

adding mass is not based upon what form of resistence training you use --- its how you train with them, combined with diet and other variables.

I prefer dumbbells as the movements require more stabilazors, and mimick functional movements more so than barbells, but a healthy combination of both is best...you even get a mini workout carrying the biguns from the DB rack to wherever your using them.. not so much with plates to bars

there are tons of exercises to strengthen the shoulder, and I would highly recommend them since it seems your problem lays in a weakness around the shoulder joint muscles...

Comment

you could start off with DB's for your warmups and then switch to the EZ bar for your working sets ...
            jdouchebag for president

Comment

I've seen alot of shoulder problems develop because your push is stronger than your pull, and your delts tend to lag forward and cause problems if thats the case.

Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                adding mass is not based upon what form of resistence training you use --- its how you train with them, combined with diet and other variables.

I prefer dumbbells as the movements require more stabilazors, and mimick functional movements more so than barbells, but a healthy combination of both is best...you even get a mini workout carrying the biguns from the DB rack to wherever your using them.. not so much with plates to bars

there are tons of exercises to strengthen the shoulder, and I would highly recommend them since it seems your problem lays in a weakness around the shoulder joint muscles...

Exactamundo.
                kane@controlledlabs.com
                Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                www.controlledlabs.com
                www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Working...
                X