Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to supplements, decided on CL products.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to supplements, decided on CL products.

G'day! Since I don't believe in BSing, I have some questions that I'll ask after a summary summation of what I think I need to let you know in order to get my questions answered. =)

Hi! My name is Matt, AKA The Beave. (Long story as to how I got the nickname, I might tell later if anyone is actually interested in boring stories!)
    I am a soldier int he Army deployed to Iraq for the second time and am currently stop-lossed. (GO Army! I have decided that, for a trip to Hawaii at the end of this year, I wish to look good without a shirt (well, without anything on, actually), be stronger, and rebuild some of the parts of myself that have sustained pretty brutal injuries in the past. (Nothing dramatic, mostly ankle injuries that limit my range of motion and my ability to do tradiation cardio.) So, in order to meet my rather subjective goals, I decided to follow through on all the reading I have done (I am a geek, I love to research and read up on things that interest me) and become a sexy beast! LOL!

After finding out about your products and reading the rather honest and generally glowing reviews, which are suspiciously lacking from most other companies' "reviews," I purchased the basic Endurance/whatever combo from BB.com and also Red Acid Gen2. I will say that I have never taken NO, creatine, or anything beyond a pre/post workout protien shake before. I am currently lifing three days a week following Chad Waterbury's "The Art Of Waterbury" program, and, as I found out last deployment, I like and show good results on his style of workout. (I'll get into the particulars of what I do and how much I lift later.)

Generally, I am fat. The only parts of me that aren't fat are my feet, calves, forarms, hands, neck and shoulders. All the rest of my muscles are "camoflagued." I am 5'10" and usually weigh in at 245. Most of my weight is from my bellybutton down. As sexist as it is, I have more curves than most chicks, even to the point where one of my nicknames is "hips." (The chick, oops, woman, that gave me that nickname is just jealous that I have a nicer butt than she does. LOL!) I can build muscle pretty easily, but, as is typical, it is very hard for me to loose bodyfat.

Currently, my diet is "ok." I don't have too much choice of food, as the stuff the Army provides is . . . interesting. I generally eat decently, I don't eat much junkfood, stopped drinking soda (all, including diet) a couple of years ago, and I might have, like, 6 cans in a year, if that. I avoid high GI carbs, I eat lots of fiber, and try to eat as much protien as possible. I cannot and will not go on a low carb or carb cycling diet as A, I work too hard, and B, it is too freaking hot here to want to mess with having low energy levels. Yesterday it hit 106, and soon it will be regularly in the 130s (in the shade). That being said, I already keep my water intake very high. I manage to pee clear almost all day, and believe me, that is hard as I am welder. So, it's hot outside, and I am griding, cutting, and welding all day. It's brutal and I love it!

All that being said, I am on my third day of taking CL products. The first day was this past tuesday, as Monday got screwed up due to stupid Army crap. Tuesday, I took the recomended half doses to asses my tolerance, and, well, I had some freaking hardcore DOMS. Ouch . . . The next day was cardio, and I mixed up a full dose of WF, GM, PW, and RAG2 30 minutes prior to going to the gym in the morning. (Oh, yeah, I work out in the mornings. I am kinda supposed to and all that. And, well, HOLY CRAP! Like I said, I have no experience to compare any of these kinds of products to, but there was NO placebo effect. For my cardio, I do ~1 mile on the treadmill. (My right ankle does not like impact.) I can usually grind throught the mile at ~6.5MPH. I actually bumped it up to 7.5 and got the tingles! NICE! Then I hop on the eliptical, and depending on how my ankles/knees/legs feel, I do at least another 15 minutes on level 10-15 resistence. I was able to maintain a higher pace than usual. That was pretty freaking amazing.

This morning was my third day taking all this stuff. Again, I mixed up WF, PW, GM, and took two RAG2. Then I mixed up another scoop of PW to drink intra-workout. I went to the gym and lifted. It was pretty intense. I am slightly down on my normal weights as I took a week off due to tweaking my left shoulder, but, all in all, it was a good lift. I was sweating more, but that could be the additional heat as opposed to anything else. I do notice that I like the AC turned down a notch in my tin box I sleep in. Also, since my roommate was up late packing and rumaging around (not his fault he had to make some noise), I woke up groggy. That disapeared 10 minutes after downing this stuff. Woah . . . So, I definitely notice a difference. I am looking forward to seeing what this stuff will actually do as the creatine, etc., builds up systemicly (my speeling iz atroshioos). Also, the Golden Finish fills me up but has a slightly "chalky" aftertaste. I have eaten much worse tasting things around here, so, I could care less about taste, actually, especially if it works.

The RAG2 works too well as an appetite suppresent. I couldn't finish my breaky this morning, and, well, being a fatboy who can eat more than is good for anyone, that was shocking. (In a good way!)

Also, I drink 3 protien shakes a day (ON Gold, I LOVE choclate mint!) on top of three (usually) sensible meals. I don't count calories as I have no idea of the caloric content of the phud (it's not really food) I am eating. However, since I cut out a lot of the junk and high GI stuff, I actually have an appetite for food, not cravings for crap. (Most of the time.)

Ok, I have a few questions now:

What bodyweight are the doses formulated for? I am heavier than most, should I take slightly more of anything?

In the FAQ for Purple Wraath, it says to cycle off after so many weeks. (See, I read!) You don't mention how long you should stay off of it, though, unless I completely missed that part. (Every other FAQ that has that info states for how long is recomended to cycle off.)

So, thank you, and a big thumbs up from someone who wants to me an under-cover fatboy!
    Last edited by The_Beave; 04-24-2008, 12:48 AM.
    Not so obvious and ruthlessly odd.

Originally posted by The_Beave
    Ok, I have a few questions now:

What bodyweight are the doses formulated for? I am heavier than most, should I take slightly more of anything?

In the FAQ for Purple Wraath, it says to cycle off after so many weeks. (See, I read!) You don't mention how long you should stay off of it, though, unless I completely missed that part. (Every other FAQ that has that info states for how long is recomended to cycle off.)

So, thank you, and a big thumbs up from someone who wants to me an under-cover fatboy!
    Hey man,

Very detailed post. I like it! It seems like you have been working hard and are motivated.

For your questions. Cycling PW is a personal preference. Most people don't cycle off it. If you cycle off it, I'd say 2-3 weeks tops. If I were cycling, I'd just wait till I finish my tub

For doses, I would suggest taking the recommended serving. There is no reason to go with more. CL stuff is pretty potent already. If you are feeling the effects, stick to the dosage. If you feel like it isn't hitting you hard enough, you can up it a half scoop until you find the "perfect point."

If you have any further questions feel free to post. I will clarify as well
    CONTROLLED LABS
    Email: dracoy [@] controlledlabs.com
    Forum: controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer: The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will stick with the recomendations for a while longer, just to see what happens. I like it so far, quite a lot!

I do have another question, though. Since I work out early in the morning, and I really do prefer my WB-GM-PW mix cold, can I mix it up the night before and 'fridge it?

Comment

Yes, I mix it the night before everyday.
        CONTROLLED LABS

Disclaimer: The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

I almost wish that CL can make something to ingest that magically transforms running on a treadmill into the bestest experience 3\//\R!

*sighs* Cardio sucks.

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

I almost wish that CL can make something to ingest that magically transforms running on a treadmill into the bestest experience 3\//\R!

*sighs* Cardio sucks.
            It's called Yellow nEphoria. Check it out. Feel free to ask me quesitons.
            CONTROLLED LABS

Comment

I read about it. *shrugs* I am not so much into mood altering drugs. =) I'd probably like it too much. Thanks, though.

Comment

wow nice post.

do you have a tolerance to caffeine? im just wondering if you shoudl be taking the white flood and the red acid so close together. if you have no tolerance to caffeine you may see deminishig effects from the white flood alittle faster when you start getting used to the caffeine. also not sure if id use the WF if youre just doing cardio if youre caffeine sensitive.

other than that, killer stack. im sure guys that know more than me will chime in on the RAG2 and WF thing.
                - Joe

my controlled labs log...
                http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=106664371

Comment

I read about it. *shrugs* I am not so much into mood altering drugs. =) I'd probably like it too much. Thanks, though.
                  That's cool. Look at the reviews, it doesn't seem that intense or addicting IMO.
                  CONTROLLED LABS

Comment

Joe-
                    Tolerance, meaning do I normally drink/take a lot of caffiene? No. The only caffiene I take in normally is in the green tea I chug during the day (unsweetened, of course), and it isn't that much. I don't drink soda, and I do occasionally drink other teas, but most have low caffiene content. For the record, if I sat here at 7:44 in the evening and drank a Mountain Dew (at least a real Made in the USA one, not the fake stuff they have here), I wouldn't be able to go to sleep until midnight or so. Now, being in the middle of my second week of that stack, I haven't noticed any lessening of the effects, though it is too soon to really acquire a tolerance for much of anything yet, or really even long enough to start enjoying the benefits of systemic levels of the supplements. I suppose that I could cut out the WF on cardio days. GM and PW are better than nothing. LOL! I will start doing that for Cardio days. Thanks!

Dracoy-
                    I am not doubting the reported effects of YN, it's just that I am not sure I want to be taking something that I would probably like that much. It's like me and cake, since I am a fatboy. I love it. I want it. If I get a taste, I need it, which is why I haven't eaten any in months. heh Taking another supp so soon is also something I would like to avoid as I want to see what differences the "simple" stack I am on makes before I start adding to or modifying things. I like to keep things simple, too, and heck, I have a hard time remembering to take my RA pills with me to work for the second dose. (I am not an avid pill popper.) I am actually thinking of waiting until later on in the year when I start my "cutting" phase to help me through the tougher times. Heck, I am feeling the calorie and slight carb deficit in my workouts already. I haven't had any high GI carbs except for some fruits in over a week now. Almost everything else has been whole wheat bread on lunch sammiches or fiberous veggies. This mornings workout was particularly trying. I had to lower a couple of my weights. That is to be expected, though, so I am not too disapointed. I am really impressed with how NOT sore I am. So, I will keep YN tucked away as a secret weapon for now. I really should order some Orange Triad and more GFH, as that is something i will run out of long before anything else.

Thanks again for the advice and help!

Comment

Joe-
                      Tolerance, meaning do I normally drink/take a lot of caffiene? No. The only caffiene I take in normally is in the green tea I chug during the day (unsweetened, of course), and it isn't that much. I don't drink soda, and I do occasionally drink other teas, but most have low caffiene content. For the record, if I sat here at 7:44 in the evening and drank a Mountain Dew (at least a real Made in the USA one, not the fake stuff they have here), I wouldn't be able to go to sleep until midnight or so. Now, being in the middle of my second week of that stack, I haven't noticed any lessening of the effects, though it is too soon to really acquire a tolerance for much of anything yet, or really even long enough to start enjoying the benefits of systemic levels of the supplements. I suppose that I could cut out the WF on cardio days. GM and PW are better than nothing. LOL! I will start doing that for Cardio days. Thanks!

Dracoy-
                      I am not doubting the reported effects of YN, it's just that I am not sure I want to be taking something that I would probably like that much. It's like me and cake, since I am a fatboy. I love it. I want it. If I get a taste, I need it, which is why I haven't eaten any in months. heh Taking another supp so soon is also something I would like to avoid as I want to see what differences the "simple" stack I am on makes before I start adding to or modifying things. I like to keep things simple, too, and heck, I have a hard time remembering to take my RA pills with me to work for the second dose. (I am not an avid pill popper.) I am actually thinking of waiting until later on in the year when I start my "cutting" phase to help me through the tougher times. Heck, I am feeling the calorie and slight carb deficit in my workouts already. I haven't had any high GI carbs except for some fruits in over a week now. Almost everything else has been whole wheat bread on lunch sammiches or fiberous veggies. This mornings workout was particularly trying. I had to lower a couple of my weights. That is to be expected, though, so I am not too disapointed. I am really impressed with how NOT sore I am. So, I will keep YN tucked away as a secret weapon for now. I really should order some Orange Triad and more GFH, as that is something i will run out of long before anything else.

Thanks again for the advice and help!
                      Good point. I took YN today but didn't feel too different. I'll step my dosage to 2 pills tomorrow

Keep us updated!
                      CONTROLLED LABS

Comment

Yech. Yesterday was a fairly horrible day EXCEPT for my workout. I had to wake up an hour early to get to the gym early to finish early so I could go get told by those in charge of me that I am fat. Duh. That's why I go to the gym. LOL!

Today is my eat whatever I want day, and, even at that, I haven't binged much at all. I am just keping focused on the end of the year and where I want to be. =)

Tomorrow is my next lift day:

Squats: 10 (sets) x 3 reps @315, trying to go lower with good form (I haven't been adding weights to this until my form gets better, and, it is slowly working)
                        Superset 1:
                        Dips: 4x6 bodywieght, though I need to start adding some weight to this
                        Bent Over Rows: 4x6@150
                        Superset 2:
                        Over-the-head tricep extensions (usually skull crushers): 4x6@35ish (it is really awkward and I feel like I should be able to do more, but, well, I am too wobbly)
                        Standing BB curls: 4x6@95 (though I usually drop it 5lbs on the last set as I suck at curling)
                        Then, Hanging Knee Raises

Comment

Yech. Yesterday was a fairly horrible day EXCEPT for my workout. I had to wake up an hour early to get to the gym early to finish early so I could go get told by those in charge of me that I am fat. Duh. That's why I go to the gym. LOL!

Today is my eat whatever I want day, and, even at that, I haven't binged much at all. I am just keping focused on the end of the year and where I want to be. =)

Squats: 10 (sets) x 3 reps @315, trying to go lower with good form (I haven't been adding weights to this until my form gets better, and, it is slowly working)
                          Superset 1:
                          Superset 2:
                          Over-the-head tricep extensions (usually skull crushers): 4x6@35ish (it is really awkward and I feel like I should be able to do more, but, well, I am too wobbly)
                          Standing BB curls: 4x6@95 (though I usually drop it 5lbs on the last set as I suck at curling)
                          Then, Hanging Knee Raises
                          Nice squats!
                          CONTROLLED LABS

Comment

Superset 1:
                            Superset 2:
                            Then, Hanging Leg Raises: 4x6@bodyweight

I rest 70 seconds in between the squat sets, and 60 seconds between all the other sets.

I am actually going to attempt to run on the road this week to see how my ankles take it. That will be tuesdays workout.

I am also contemplating doing some eliptical every night after work. I am not sure yet. I can waffle with the best of them!

Comment

Holy double post, batman! I think this forum doesn't like my posting!

I wasn't even done typing. LOL!

Eh . . . If they were, like, full-range squats, I might be happy with them, but since I am hitting just below parrallel, I've still got a long way to go.

Besides, I finally figured out how to work my calves last week. I rack up 405 on the bar, and do 4x6 elevated calve raises. (I tippy toe on plates.) My calves go moo!

Dracoy-
                              Did you play around with your YN dosing yet? Just wondering as I need to order some fish oil, and some other odds and ends . . . I wouldn't mind sending CL some more profits.

Bah. I should just start a log, shouldn't I?
                              Last edited by The_Beave; 05-04-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X