• Show
Clear All

• Scientists Concoct Chocolate That Won't Melt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200607...tethatwontmelt

Scientists Concoct Chocolate That Won't Melt

Ker Than
    LiveScience Staff Writer
    LiveScience.comFri Jul 14, 9:00 AM ET

Chocolate is not widely consumed in the tropics, even though that's where most of the world's cocoa is produced.

The reason: It's too hot.

High temperatures in countries like Nigeria reduce chocolate into a sticky, gooey mess.

Food scientists have been trying to remedy this situation for decades, and now researchers in Nigeria believe they are close to achieving the holy grail among chocolate manufacturers: a heat-resistant chocolate that actually tastes like chocolate.

Melting point

Most brands of chocolate melt at temperatures between 77 to about 91 degrees Fahrenheit.

S.O. Ogunwolu and C.O. Jayeola, food scientists at the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, have mixed cornstarch with cocoa to produce a heat-resistant chocolate that they say compares "favorably with conventional milk chocolate in terms of color, taste, smoothness and overall acceptability."

The starch acts as a chocolate thickener and prevents the outflow of cocoa butter—the natural fat of the cocoa bean—when the heat is on. The researchers found that using 10 percent starch was ideal and produced a product that was comparable to milk chocolate in taste tests.

The new concoction stays firm up to 122 degrees.

The recipe is outlined in the current issue of the British Food Journal.

Guns and chocolate

The battle to prevent chocolate meltdown has been a long one.

One of the earliest of these culinary offensives occurred in the midst of World War II, when the U.S. Army commissioned research into the creation of a chocolate that soldiers could eat on the go. The bar wasn't set very high, though, and the army captain who oversaw the project had only four requirements for the military chocolate: that it weigh only about four ounces, be able to withstand high temperatures, have high food energy and taste "just a little better than a boiled potato."

Since the 1970's, there have been about nine patents plus numerous research articles on the development of heat-resistant chocolate.

"People have been working on it for a long time and are still working on it now," said Richard Hartel, a food engineer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, who was not involved in the Nigerian study.

During Operation Desert Storm, Hershey's Chocolate tested a high-temperature chocolate capable of withstanding 140-degree temperatures. It was dubbed the "Desert Bar," but troop reactions to its taste were mixed.

Taste tests

Hartel has not tried the new cornstarch chocolate himself, but he points out the one major problem that previous heat-resistant chocolate products have run into.

"They don't melt in your mouth," Hartel told LiveScience. "You have to chew it, and that's what leads to a waxy or chewy characteristic."

The corn starch chocolate doesn't seem to have this problem, however. In taste tests conducted by the Nigerian researchers, people rated the new chocolate as being similar to milk chocolate in color, taste, smoothness and overall acceptability. It was found to be slightly less sweet than milk chocolate, however.

The researchers hope their new confection will "allow the wide distribution, display and consumption of chocolate in the tropics, especially Nigeria."
    Secret to Chocolate's Heart Benefits Found Engineering OJ: Terrible Smells Make Juice Fresh Fat and Happy: Why Most People Don't Diet Bugs Are Considered a Delicacy in Mexico

Visit LiveScience.com for more daily news, views and scientific inquiry with an original, provocative point of view. LiveScience reports amazing, real world breakthroughs, made simple and stimulating for people on the go. Check out our collection of Science, Animal and Dinosaur Pictures, Science Videos, Hot Topics, Trivia, Top 10s, Voting, Amazing Images, Reader Favorites, and more. Get cool gadgets at the new LiveScience Store, sign up for our free daily email newsletter and check out our RSS feeds today!
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

I bet its even worse for you than regular chocolate candies...

tho like 1/2 a hershey kiss a day does make you feel better.. or something, lol..

Comment

okay so now they got chocolate that won't melt in your mouth....

At least I still got somethin' that will
      www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
        I bet its even worse for you than regular chocolate candies...

tho like 1/2 a hershey kiss a day does make you feel better.. or something, lol..
        you are the hershey god, they arent going to be happy (didnt you work there I think I remember you saying?)
        REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
        Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
        Purple Psyko
        Gold Feast
        Blue Gene
        Blue Growth
        REDuction AM/PM Shots
        REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
        Orange TRIad
        White Flood (5 Flavors)
        Black Hole
        Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
        Green Bulge
        White Blood 2
        Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
        Blue Up
        Blue Up (Stim-Free)
        GlycerGrow (Elements line)
        CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
        Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

mmm..chocolate!!
          The stack:
          PW-GG-GB-GM-BU-RA-Designer Whey protien

THE MAN:
          5'9
          197.5 LBS
          BF% 29

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
            you are the hershey god, they arent going to be happy (didnt you work there I think I remember you saying?)
            yea i work at the hershey lodge (with a convention center attached)

tourist suck.

Comment

Could be worse man, you could work inside of the park like me

Comment

i would shoot myself.

my brother did that back in the day.. no $, shiesty hours, horrible work conditions, and i imagine it sucks alot more than he could make it seem.

i make bank at my job in the lodge.. enough i dont have to work while im at school, i just slowly go broke from rent, tuition, drugs, books, and other stuff

Comment

drugs are bad, mmmkay.
                  A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X