Bodybuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding

Working on a paper on bodybuilding sociology... could use some inference/ideas on the following topics (feel free to comment as interested):

 Describe the norms of the activity, such as
    o Style of dress
    o Manner of communication (speech, lingo, etiquette)
    o How do people relate to each other?
     Leadership, roles (formal and informal) and “pecking order”
     How is status achieved? How is status displayed?
     Expected/accepted behavior (of participants, coaches, spectators)
    o How do you think people learn these behaviors?
     If you are a participant: how were you socialized into this activity? Did you go through the stages discussed in class?
    o What happens to those who don’t know or violate these norms?
     How can you tell “newbies” from more experienced participants? How are they treated?
     What can happen if someone purposefully violates the norms/rules of the activity?

 Describe the values (as best you can) of the activity, for example
    o Competition or cooperation?
    o Hard work and dedication or fun and games?
    o Enjoyment or performance?
    o Fair play or win at all cost?
    o Risk taking or playing it safe?
    (remember, there are often elements of both extremes)
     How are these values translated into behavior?
    o Are there any contradictions between the expressed values and the behavior of the participants?

 Are there any deviant norms/values/behaviors that are present or prevalent in the activity? (e.g. steroid use, cheating, deviant overconformity)

 **VERY IMPORTANT** In what ways does this activity reinforce/reproduce dominant ideologies (i.e. gender, racial, class stereotypes)? In what ways does it resist dominant ideologies? Remember too, that activities often do both.

- i dont know much, as I have never attended a competition nor trained at a bodybuilding-esque facility. What ive got so far is just generalized things ive picked up from books or assume to be true.. I'd appreciate anyone willing to throw out some ideas about the anything in the above

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...rassingMoments

Check out this link.
    laurie@controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

I aint doin your homework.
      A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethva
        I aint doin your homework.
        how about for 10 bucks?
        REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
        Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
        Purple Psyko
        Gold Feast
        Blue Gene
        Blue Growth
        REDuction AM/PM Shots
        REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
        Orange TRIad
        White Flood (5 Flavors)
        Black Hole
        Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
        Green Bulge
        White Blood 2
        Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
        Blue Up
        Blue Up (Stim-Free)
        GlycerGrow (Elements line)
        CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
        Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
          how about for 10 bucks?

"Gimmie the casssssshhhh."
          A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

i didnt want you do to my homework -- i just wanted insight to the bodybuilding competition sence...

i managed pulling out a 9 page paper on the train home friday ... not bad for 90minutes of work, lol

Comment

Yeah, you can't list all of the questions and then ask for help. Rather give your own best stab through research such as attending a local contest or maybe hitting a gym where some train. Then, maybe have a good resource fill in the blanks.

I could post up several paragraphs to a page on one question alone.
              **CONTROLLED LABS SPONSORED ATHLETE**
              **THENUTRITIONX.COM SPONSORED ATHLETE**
              WNBF Pro Bodybuilder & Trainer

http://www.RICHBODYFIT.com
              http://www.BeyondLimitsTraining.net
              http://www.NaturalBuckeyeClassic.com - 3rd annual coming in April 2011 with the WNBF Pro Men's Tournament of Champions!

Comment

If it were an important project (getting its own credit rather than within a courses credit) i would personally attend a competition or seek training facilities out, but its not that important ...

I was just looking for some random thoughts/experiences from peoples that could share, since ive never been to contests or in a hardcore bodybuilding gym... all of my info is drawn from books/articles/info. ive read and my personal thoughts, which are very generalized I imagine

this was the hardest part of the paper, since im not really into the subculture (?)

its great the professor as well as noone in the class has the slighest idea what bodybuilding is about.. so i can write and present on almost anything i want.

Comment

Working...
                X