Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exergaming ("exercise" and "gaming") Whats your Favorite method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exergaming ("exercise" and "gaming") Whats your Favorite method?

Anyways, figured I'd bring up one of my favorite types of "exercise". In fact, playing these "exercise" games got me into a focused body-building lifestyle in the first place.

Usually on cardio days, I'll sometimes put in a Exergame instead of a traditional cardio workout and let me say that it really feels great.

Personally I've had a lot of fun and success (working up a good sweat with)

Samba de Amigo (for dreamcast)

I doubt many of you still have a dreamcast. But, personally I love this game.
    You have to play it to get it.. But its like DDR with your hands and its a great upper body workout. Plus, its fun and addicting. Problem is, is the only way to play it is by getting a official set of maracas (which are now expensive due to their limited run).

However, for those who still have a DC its a awesome game... Plus, it displays in 480p and widescreen. Its a little known fact that DC was one of the first "HD consoles".

Don't fret if you don't have a Dreamcast and maracas, a version for the Nintendo Wii will be coming out in the near future

Dance Dance Revolution

I think this ones, obvious. But the greatness of this game can't be explained. Improve your dance moves, rhythms and get your heart pumping.

I've got DDR Universe 2 for the Xbox 360

On another note

Wii Sports

Not gonna give a full thumbs up to this as the former will give you a good cardio workout in most play sessions. Still, wii sports is fun and if you play in a way to make you sweat you might get some decent cardio.

But, don't rely on it unless you go hard.

Any other good exergames? Or anyone else feel the same?

I feel the opposite

While these new video game systems do provide greater physical stimulation than the predecessor remote controled gaming systems, to consider them "exercise" is out right ludacris. Sure, they are "better" than the older systems where all you do is sit there with the remote control as they involve more physical movement, yet to consider them exercise is to de-value the importance of exercise itself. (increased heart rate, physiological stress leading to adaptations, increased metabolism,e tc.)

These video games are only "exercise" for certain populations -- the main being the elderly, as movement of any intensity is a large bonus for them (plus the cognitive involvement in a video game provides stimulation which could prvent dementia).

Point blank, video gaming is not exercise, and never should not be considered such for a healthy, non-geratic population. Exercise is cardiovascular training, resistence (weight) training, or any form of movement which causes physiological stress to the point of bodily adaptation, and for a healthy (emphasis on this) individual, video games will not do such (though they may cause fatique, sweating, etc.)

This is all my opinion as a exercise/sport psychology student and individual --- thank you for your post, it sparked a new research idea for me

now, on a side- note, if you read any into bio-feedback technology, there are various organizations/individuals doing work with real exercise movements utilizing video feedback on their progress -- from what Ive read this is mainly utilized during a rehabilitation process from serious injury... There also is alot of bio-feedback done with neurological thought patterns to help indivudals control their arousal and other psycho-physiological barriers to performance.. stuff is crazy expensive, though they claim it will become much more practical in the near future.
    Last edited by jiritt0; 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

my wife loves the dance dance revolution game. I have two left feet, I stay off of it
      REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
      Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
      Purple Psyko
      Gold Feast
      Blue Gene
      Blue Growth
      REDuction AM/PM Shots
      REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
      Orange TRIad
      White Flood (5 Flavors)
      Black Hole
      Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
      Green Bulge
      White Blood 2
      Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
      Blue Up
      Blue Up (Stim-Free)
      GlycerGrow (Elements line)
      CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
      Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
        my wife loves the dance dance revolution game. I have two left feet, I stay off of it
        i hear you man...

I've been doing agility ladder work with my TA's this semester... I am so horrible at the stuff. It pisses me off cause I used to love it and excel at it when I was in HS!

This summer, I should only have to teach for 90minutes m/t/w/th... outside of that, nothing else is set yet... soo, i hope to lift alot, run alot, and work the ladder alot. ! if i get my PT certs early enough, I may put in some time doin that as well

Comment

With the Wii I definitely agree that something like Wii Sports only wii work as cardio for certain populations. But, something like Dance Dance Revolution can be a very intense cardio workout (it all depends on what difficulty level your playing)

For instance take a look at this video of someone play DDR on expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_9t...eature=related

I mean if you don't thats a cardio workout if your doing that for 20 minutes...Then i dunno..

I garentuee you if you spend a few weeks with the game you'll see its potential as a tool for exercise.

as for samba de amigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrv6zZla6o

you can compare the movements to swimming...

Comment

You were talking about a research project and this is going in a slightly different direction with it But I have often thought about the effect of some games like Halo that really seem to activeate the sympathetic nervous system in a "fight or flight" type manner. Which would logically make cardio more effective. A friend of mine swears by playing halo while on the treadmill or stationary bike to burn more fat and It makes sense. I wish somebody would do a similar study. Cardio with video game stimulus Vs. cardio without
            Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

your friend prolly swears by playing halo and doing cardio because he wont do cardio otherwise, or because it makes the cardio seem more enjoyable. many people have treadmills or cardio equipment in front of their TVs and workout while watching shows, etc... if your playing a video game for an hour.. two hours.. and your peddaling a bike or on a treadmill the whole time, you should see results (assuming INTENSITY in the cardio exercise is there)

i dont think playing a video game such as halo truly activitates your SNS at all... it is a video game, your life is not in jeporady and you have no real involvement of fighting or flighting -- you die in a video game and go boohoo i died, you dont collapse not to breath again. fight or flight is what happens when your at 711 on 13th and norris and a gang of peoples looking like slipknot and the wu tang clan mixed together storm in with guns.. you go "O SHIT" and run away or throw down

Originally posted by Nitrosoxide
              as for samba de amigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrv6zZla6o

you can compare the movements to swimming...
              You can compare masturbation to sexual intercourse, but are they one in the same??!?
              hot dogs to hamburgers (both go in a bun).... steak and fish (both can come from animals humans farm to eat)

you can compare alot of things.. comparisons lack correlations (relatedness)... and correlations lack cause (A leads to B etc.).... therefore, playing samba de amigo is not swimming, nor anything relative to it.

as for the reasearch thought this thread gave me --- it was more geared towards the connection(or disconnection - my hypothesis) between DDR as exercise and true, real life, dancing -- don't go do this meow or I will be disappointed if i ever get to it in the future

Honestly -- in my opinion.. it is sad that (non-elderly,non-obese) people even think of video games as exercise.. it really reflects the sedantariness that is so wide spread in western in society. and yes, while it is very sad, it is also great news. It means I will continually be able to find work as an exercise science student in a culture that has de-valued physical activity. yes, I am blunt and narcissist. go me.
              Last edited by jiritt0; 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                your friend prolly swears by playing halo and doing cardio because he wont do cardio otherwise, or because it makes the cardio seem more enjoyable. many people have treadmills or cardio equipment in front of their TVs and workout while watching shows, etc... if your playing a video game for an hour.. two hours.. and your peddaling a bike or on a treadmill the whole time, you should see results (assuming INTENSITY in the cardio exercise is there)

i dont think playing a video game such as halo truly activitates your SNS at all... it is a video game, your life is not in jeporady and you have no real involvement of fighting or flighting -- you die in a video game and go boohoo i died, you dont collapse not to breath again. fight or flight is what happens when your at 711 on 13th and norris and a gang of peoples looking like slipknot and the wu tang clan mixed together storm in with guns.. you go "O SHIT" and run away or throw down

You can compare masturbation to sexual intercourse, but are they one in the same??!?
                hot dogs to hamburgers (both go in a bun).... steak and fish (both can come from animals humans farm to eat)

you can compare alot of things.. comparisons lack correlations (relatedness)... and correlations lack cause (A leads to B etc.).... therefore, playing samba de amigo is not swimming, nor anything relative to it.

as for the reasearch thought this thread gave me --- it was more geared towards the connection(or disconnection - my hypothesis) between DDR as exercise and true, real life, dancing -- don't go do this meow or I will be disappointed if i ever get to it in the future

Honestly -- in my opinion.. it is sad that (non-elderly,non-obese) people even think of video games as exercise.. it really reflects the sedantariness that is so wide spread in western in society. and yes, while it is very sad, it is also great news. It means I will continually be able to find work as an exercise science student in a culture that has de-valued physical activity. yes, I am blunt and narcissist. go me.
                wow,t he passion is real keep it up j
                REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                Purple Psyko
                Gold Feast
                Blue Gene
                Blue Growth
                REDuction AM/PM Shots
                REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                Orange TRIad
                White Flood (5 Flavors)
                Black Hole
                Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                Green Bulge
                White Blood 2
                Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                Blue Up
                Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
                  wow,t he passion is real keep it up j
                  you know it -- i think ive zoned in and decided what direction to go with my life. alot of it is due to the recent NFL combine videos on nfl.com -- I saw John Lott (?) the cardinals strength coach doing the bench press there, and i was in complete awe at the thought of that mans life..! what a great gig -- an NFL strength/conditioning coach.. and he even gets to coordinate the combine stuff with all the incoming prospects/talent.. how many people can sit and watch the draft, and be like ohi met him..and him..and him hes kind of a dick.. o that guy hes nice. i wouldnt pick him #7 though..and all!
                  I was thinking of going into a clinical or counseling psychology doctoral program (after masters in kinesiology/exercise science) -- just because its more respectable, the career outlook is brighter, and easier. but I dont really enjoy either field, they both are mudane and depressing! it would be the pits to get through a doctorate and not like it.. than to try and bend my focus to an exercise/sport focus would be hard.. just not a good career

so, im thinking I hope to get a phd in exercise sceicnes(kinesiology) -- prolly exercise/sport psychology. I've checked out some places (tom shaw, athletic performance instuite), and they lack a ESP on their board... what more could an elite athelete what than to really learn the mental part of their life. and if those locations dont work out, i really want to get into some form of coaching -- be it strength&conditioning or for real coaching (football or baseball)

...but for now, i need to finish masters, get both NSCA certifications, and more applied experiences to build from

my goal: live the dream
                  Last edited by jiritt0; 04-02-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0312172614.htm

Many Teens Spend 30 Hours A Week On 'Screen Time' During High School
                    ScienceDaily (Mar. 14, 2008) — While most teenagers (60 percent) spend on average 20 hours per week in front of television and computer screens, a third spend closer to 40 hours per week, and about 7 percent are exposed to more than 50 hours of 'screen-time' per week, according to a study presented at the American Heart Association's 48th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention.

/\/\
                    & that is why cardio + video games helps your friend..

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                      I feel the opposite

While these new video game systems do provide greater physical stimulation than the predecessor remote controled gaming systems, to consider them "exercise" is out right ludacris. Sure, they are "better" than the older systems where all you do is sit there with the remote control as they involve more physical movement, yet to consider them exercise is to de-value the importance of exercise itself. (increased heart rate, physiological stress leading to adaptations, increased metabolism,e tc.)

These video games are only "exercise" for certain populations -- the main being the elderly, as movement of any intensity is a large bonus for them (plus the cognitive involvement in a video game provides stimulation which could prvent dementia).
                      ^^^^

Well said

Comment

nintendo is releasing a game called WiiFit..

rediculous what the world is coming toO!

Comment

I work my vocal chords when playing Call of Duty 4 )

Comment

Working...
                          X