No announcement yet.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice pics! are those straight off the camera?

Also, the embedded pic, 2.jpg, is that one an hdr?

Comment

they are all hdr -- it was the first time i used the camera on a decent landscape outdoors... i didnt know this, but i took a couple pics of my girl & I too, all in hdr, and they turned out pretty crappy, I guess the multiple exposure thing makes face details somewhat blurry/hard to capture

all I did was put them into the windows image editor thing and click automatic enhance or whatever..just made them a tad brighter.. I threw one into photoshop and gave it this crazy orange warming hue, kind of on accident just clicking random things, i like it alot but the girl thinks its better in the bright blue water/sky

the files are huge; some are like 14MB... lol im going to need to get a third external hard drive for pictures/videos... will prolly take a ton of each in hawaii, going to take two 8GB sd cards -- I hope to capture the entire sunrise on mount halealaka in video (720p HD, yeaa boyyy)

I may quit the day job I dont have yet and become a nature photographer

Comment

yeah, i liked both the warm and cooler version of that pic. The cooler one was probably truer in color to what you saw, but the warmer pic felt good to look at.

what did you do differently with the 2.jpg because it didn't have a halo around stuff in the pics? Alot of times with HDR, there will be a halo around certain elements in the pic where the low tones and high tones transition. That halo is a sure sign that the pic is somewhat 'fake'. (you always want to try to avoid halos where you can, unless that's the look you're going for).

Comment

attached is the warmer one i made in photoshop cs4 by clicking random buttons and some luck, lol. i dont think i linked/uploaded it before

no idea what I did differently -- I was just toying around with some basic settings and shooting around.. had borrowed my pops tripod for the day even I was mainly excitied to see what i could do with the hdr and a decent subject to shoot at.

also no filters or anything -- i am going to get a UV filter (mainly for all the time lens protection) and a polarizer for outdoor shooting.. I've read the polarizer will make a large difference in the colors, but I am unsure if this would apply while shooting in HDR

is there a way to prevent the halos before or while shooting; or is that more a process that requires post-editing to touch up/remove? I kind of feel that the whole HDR looks pretty fake in general, but I like how it makes the colors pop out - it gives an artistic feel to photography
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jiritt0; 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

the whole point of HDR, imo, is to catch all the tonal differences that a standard single shoot digital photo cannot capture then to have your post edit preserve the reality of it, unless it's for artistic impression.

I have no idea how to deal with the halo stuff since your camera does the hdr on the fly. def read up on the hdr function. I might have to check up on it too, cuz i'm kinda curious about it too. For me, i use all software to create the final hdr edit. I can spend hours telling you about that, but not sure on the camera.

Have you bought lens filters before? b/c spend the little extra on the hoya brand. Don't go with the sun pak or whatever it is that best buy sells. If you ever get a chance, do a side-by-side comparason of the two brands. sun pak reflects a TON of light... not a good brand to go with.

A polorizer filter might be nice to have on hand for regular pics, but def not needed for HDR's. Have you seen the infrared filters? Those pics are awesome! do a quick google search on it.

Comment

ive never had a SLR camera before.. I'm basically going from my fiances bright pink pocket nikon coolpix or something to the k7...it prolly wasnt the best idea to get one as intense as the k7, but I liked all the features and figured it would be an investment that would be worth its price in images & videos as my girl and I build our family/life experiences (really liked the fact it has hd video function - that and the HDR will be super fun in hawaii)

i had hoyas picked out for the filters based what I was able to read and a random price range for wedding gifts -- a friend of ours is going to get something even better than the hoya polarizer i had on our registry, his brother works at a photography store and said he could hook it up

I havent had time lately to read about the camera, I made it through the manual that came with it that was extremely confusing and about 1/3 of the way through a better written user guide I bought.. the internal HDR seems intense; has soft & strong settings.. it can even be applied to images after taking, but I think the quality is lower than if you initially capture with it.

I've learned through all this process that bestbuy is horrible... the memory cards I bought were rediculously cheaper online; and the bookbag I bought was the next step above what they carried and still like 10$ less i think.. I'm kind of pissed we bought a big tv from them a year ago. i've come to the realization that amazon.com is the best place to buy nearly everything, i even looked into engagement rings through the site, but they lacked a heart shape diamond selection (big ups to bluenile.com haha)

hoping to get out more and experiment with the camera before the honeymoon, but i think there is only one more weekend I could possibly have enough down time til the big day lol

the infrared stuff is intense looking -- theres a boatload of different kinds of filters....and lenses..and other random camera stuff! this could be an ugly hobby for me to get into
              Last edited by jiritt0; 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

ah yeah, now that you mentioned it, i had a couple compact flash memory cards from best buy that messed up so many pics of mine way back when.

did you see the thing about the t.v. series house? they filmed the season finale using the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. That camera also does HD video. I've never gotten into that show, but i might watch just to see how the video looks.

Comment

im not big into watching tv, but i bet its a good quality -- theres a youtube short video of a director using the pentax k7 that is pretty amazing quality if you watch it in the high quality format...

I hoep the sunrise from mt halealaka will fit on on a 8gb card (around 15mins of video in the highest quality)

Comment

Originally posted by Illilian View Post

what did you do differently with the 2.jpg because it didn't have a halo around stuff in the pics?
                    trying to read the owners manual and watch hockey in my downtime today... skimmed it for HDR info before getting into more

I think the one may not show a halo because I had it set in HDR #1 and the ones with more apparant halos were shot in #2 (strong) HDR

other than that, the book doesnt provide much detail on HDR besides what it is, and that having it built in is nice if you dont want to learn software programs -- I believe it may be a unique feature to the K7 (there may be newer/better ones since this book was published? or it was a unique feature for a pentax camera? no idea what they really meant but it sounds cool)

also - hawaii update haha -- my girl found out may 27 is a full moon! --- we might scale back up to the summit of mount halealaka for a sunset and to take images of a full moon from 10,000ft above sea level.. i bet that would be stellar!haha there was also a recent article at outdoor photographer.com on how to shoot the moon.. it made very little sense to me, but uh if i read it like 15x more i might get it somewhat

Comment

moon shots at 10K??? awesome!! you HAVE to post pics when you get back.

Also, i get outdoor photographer too, love the magazine. The cool thing about it is that it isn't page after page of advertisements. don't get me wrong, it has advertisements, but not like other american magazines where it's nothing BUT adverts. Outdoor photographer has lots of good tips and tricks.

Comment

o yea man.. im not sure how it'll go down.. we get to maui on may 24, and were planning to go to the top of the volcano for sunrise the first mornign there, since our bodies will be horribly off of their time (were in philly)

the full moon isnt until the 27 which is our last night at a B&B around the base of the volcano ... ive been wondering if we should just go for sunrise that morning and hike the summit all day or something?! but that could be a bad idea cos of how close to the sun we'd be and lack of h2o..

Almost finished with the users guide i bought! haha the k7 is rediculous

Comment

Last edited by pu12en12g; 08-21-2010, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I want one.
                            CONTROLLED LABS
                            Email: dracoy [@] controlledlabs.com
                            Forum: controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer: The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility / no cross contamination).

Comment

Working...
                            X