Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External harddrives

for the computer techs..

what is the best external harddrive brand out there?

I wanna get one, bigger = better .. i read online western digitals 1 terabytes cooloing system is really really loud though (not good)

are 500GB/750GB as loud?

i discovered you can download full discographies online..and uh.. <3 music

i got a 500gb seagate free agent for like 100 bucks. no fan = no noise. works great.
    REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
    Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
    Purple Psyko
    Gold Feast
    Blue Gene
    Blue Growth
    REDuction AM/PM Shots
    REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
    Orange TRIad
    White Flood (5 Flavors)
    Black Hole
    Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
    Green Bulge
    White Blood 2
    Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
    Blue Up
    Blue Up (Stim-Free)
    GlycerGrow (Elements line)
    CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
    Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

i've got a wd external drive w/ no fan ... quiet as can be, but I only access it around 3am for my nightly backups ... seagates are solid products as well

try cnet for reviews of seagate and wd models regarding fan noise if that's an issue
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

i just want a big ol external drive, so I can put boatloads of music and all my pictures on it (dont really use videos) -- saw the 1 TB drives and was like..noo ddoubt than i read an amazon.com review and they said the fans like a leaf blower! =(

I'm also curious, can you play mp3 (or view/use other files) files straight from it, or do they need to load onto the normal harddrive first or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
          i just want a big ol external drive, so I can put boatloads of music and all my pictures on it (dont really use videos) -- saw the 1 TB drives and was like..noo ddoubt than i read an amazon.com review and they said the fans like a leaf blower! =(

I'm also curious, can you play mp3 (or view/use other files) files straight from it, or do they need to load onto the normal harddrive first or something?
          your pc will access the external drive just like any other storage device, so you can play your music directly from the drive w/out having to copy the files to an internal drive first
          jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by strester
            your pc will access the external drive just like any other storage device, so you can play your music directly from the drive w/out having to copy the files to an internal drive first
            Does it take a while to load it? Obviously depends on the brand, but in general.

Comment

Originally posted by JOakman
              Does it take a while to load it? Obviously depends on the brand, but in general.
              don't know what you mean by "load it" .... if you're asking about read/write speeds ... depends on your bandwidth (firewire vs. USB 2.0) and the speed of the external HD itself ... if you are talking about your PC actually seeing the drive, most are plug-and-play for windows....

there's no software to load unless you want to take advantage of any of the one-touch functionality that most drives come with ... but I use a separate backup software to manage that
              jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by strester
                don't know what you mean by "load it" .... if you're asking about read/write speeds ... depends on your bandwidth (firewire vs. USB 2.0) and the speed of the external HD itself ... if you are talking about your PC actually seeing the drive, most are plug-and-play for windows....

there's no software to load unless you want to take advantage of any of the one-touch functionality that most drives come with ... but I use a separate backup software to manage that
                yup, I use memeo to backup and an outside vendor like ibackup.com

Out Now:
                Purple Psyko
                Gold Feast
                Blue Gene
                Blue Growth
                REDuction AM/PM Shots
                Orange TRIad
                White Flood (5 Flavors)
                Black Hole
                Green Bulge
                White Blood 2
                Blue Up
                Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                CLAmore (Elements Line)

Comment

im not looking for an external to back up my files -- I've saved everything important onto my new laptop, and a flash drive.

I want an external to store a boatload of music. I'm talking like the complete collection you could ever want. I bought the led zeppelin complete works, and now ive found i can download other artists on torrent, and i'm like whoa. i got the complete barry white, beatles, elvis, and sinatra already... and i want moreee

Comment

im not looking for an external to back up my files -- I've saved everything important onto my new laptop, and a flash drive.

I want an external to store a boatload of music. I'm talking like the complete collection you could ever want. I bought the led zeppelin complete works, and now ive found i can download other artists on torrent, and i'm like whoa. i got the complete barry white, beatles, elvis, and sinatra already... and i want moreee
                    Strong music

Comment

I am a conoussieur of sorts.. at a young age I was into the rock..than got into metal/punk..than got into rap.. than dabbled in country.. now im getting into classics and such..

ideally, I would have complete discographies of all these types on my PC -except metal, gives me a headache with the yelling- which would require an external drive.

I spent last night doing work while jamming to someKoRn, than some air patrol (was a learning experience), and finished with a little luther vandross... haha
                      Last edited by jiritt0; 02-19-2008, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Dam lol

Comment

aint nuttin but muzik

Comment

I am a conoussieur of sorts.. at a young age I was into the rock..than got into metal/punk..than got into rap.. than dabbled in country.. now im getting into classics and such..

ideally, I would have complete discographies of all these types on my PC -except metal, gives me a headache with the yelling- which would require an external drive.

I spent last night doing work while jamming to someKoRn, than some air patrol (was a learning experience), and finished with a little luther vandross... haha
                            your like a renaissance man

Out Now:
                            Purple Psyko
                            Gold Feast
                            Blue Gene
                            Blue Growth
                            REDuction AM/PM Shots
                            Orange TRIad
                            White Flood (5 Flavors)
                            Black Hole
                            Green Bulge
                            White Blood 2
                            Blue Up
                            Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                            CLAmore (Elements Line)

Comment

I picked up a 500gb external, usb 2.0, sits on top of my tower. Works very well, I have all of my music and photos backed up on it, and other important .docs.

Good stuff.
                              A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X