For Or Against ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Or Against ???

Ok heres a question for debate are you for or against this???

You will not get big, by training each muscle group, once per week?

(Emphasis, on get big, not stay big)

dude.....there are soooo many parameters it is virtually impossible to debate!

nutrition/diet
    training - intensity, duration, exercises
    supps
    rest???

Its not just training that needs to be in check!

Comment

Ah the question has nothing to do with all that. Its simply about training. The question is basically about bodybuilding style once a week body part splits, and if they are suitable for people trying to get big.

To make you happy, lets assume that everything else (diet, rest, nutrition etc etc) is in check and perfect.

Comment

ok .... please continue then

Comment

I think that getting big is possible on a 5 day type split hitting muscle groups 1x per week, but that it is going to be more difficult than a more traditional size routine. Also, it is going to depend on your set/rep ranges, compound movement inclusions, and like asianbabe said the nutrition/sleep/etc.

So is it possible, yes.

Cheers,
          SCT
          Back to the basics!

Comment

Yes I do, that is all I did for most of my training (when not powerlifting). Look at Aries.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
              Yes I do, that is all I did for most of my training (when not powerlifting). Look at Aries.
              Do you believe if you start out with a basic powerlifting program (providing you have good form) that you would get mass faster than a bodypart split? Again taking into consideration that other aspects are in check.

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
                Do you believe if you start out with a basic powerlifting program (providing you have good form) that you would get mass faster than a bodypart split? Again taking into consideration that other aspects are in check.
                That is really hard to gauge, with every new program you try you will make quick gains as this is some form of stimulus that you have not experienced before. I did not start powerlifting until after I had 8 years of hard training and a good solid base. If you went with something like WS4SB I think it is possible. But then again it all depends on what your goals are. I hade both great size and strength gains with a 1 part a day because of the intensity and form I used. One thing that is nice with the powerlifting routine is that you hit each part 2x a week directly and more indirectly.

Are you considering something new?

Comment

That is really hard to gauge, with every new program you try you will make quick gains as this is some form of stimulus that you have not experienced before. I did not start powerlifting until after I had 8 years of hard training and a good solid base. If you went with something like WS4SB I think it is possible. But then again it all depends on what your goals are. I hade both great size and strength gains with a 1 part a day because of the intensity and form I used. One thing that is nice with the powerlifting routine is that you hit each part 2x a week directly and more indirectly.

Are you considering something new?
                  No, I am just interested in people's views here and I agree largely with you. I believe that people looking to gain weight fast, should concentrate on heavy squatting, deadlifting, benching and rows.
                  I dont believe that training smaller muscle groups for a large number of sets and reps is beneficial for those looking to gain overall mass in the shortest amount of time.
                  Maximum effort on compound movements is a great way to add mass and strength and I think that its best to exert the most energy on this, rather than emphasizing hitting specific muscles for multiple exercises.
                  Last edited by ozcoltsfan; 06-26-2006, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
                    Ok heres a question for debate are you for or against this???

You will not get big, by training each muscle group, once per week?

(Emphasis, on get big, not stay big)
                    Too much of a blanket statement... but in general I don't think that 1x per week is optimal for size (NOT to be confused with strength / performance).

The way you phrased the question is of UTMOST importance here... I can't emphasize that enough
                    Last edited by pu12en12g; 06-26-2006, 02:21 AM.

Comment

did a bulk over the winter with 1 bodypart per week 5-day split ... went from 180 to almost 210 and doubled PR's for squat and deads ... it's possible, IMO
                      jdouchebag for president

Comment

I dont think i could handle more than 1x a week for each body part. Maybe those who can dont use the intensity i do while training.
                        1x a week is definatly working for me. Ofcourse if your not natural, you could train more often.

Comment

That is really hard to gauge, with every new program you try you will make quick gains as this is some form of stimulus that you have not experienced before.
                          There is the key right there. If you are plateauing @ 1x per week... switch things up and vice versa. It should still be noted that the body does NOT need 5+ days to recover... but that is really off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by dee213
                            I dont think i could handle more than 1x a week for each body part. Maybe those who can dont use the intensity i do while training.
                            1x a week is definatly working for me. Ofcourse if your not natural, you could train more often.
                            I beg to differ on these two comments right here.
                            Last edited by ddawg91; 06-26-2006, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                              There is the key right there. If you are plateauing @ 1x per week... switch things up and vice versa.
                              One thing people don't do with their routine is switch it up. THis does not mean changing completely but changing up the order, days, exercises, or sets and reps are all things that can get you out of a rut. The key to any program is shock and stimulus.

Comment

Working...
                              X