Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a good job with no College Degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a good job with no College Degree?

I was just curious what kind of GOOD job one can get with just a HS diploma (and no criminal record).

I bet alot of people are going to mock me for this, but I'm a "rapper", and it's my only sorce of income. Sometimes I'll play a show and get a couple hundred bucks for playing it, sometimes I only get like 50 bucks for playing the show, sometimes I dont get any good paying shows for monthes. When I'm not getting paid, I can't press up merch (t-shirts, CDs, etc.) to sell.

It's not a definate source of income, but it's the only thing I can do that I dont fucking hate doing. Everytime I get some new job I just fucking hate it. But I need money so I stick with it. I usually dont quit until all I do all day at work is think about going home and killing myself.

My father sais he would be able to put me through college, but I have some anxiety problems and I dont think I would be able to put up with the stress of college. I know I'm really blowing it by not going, but fuck, I just get stressed so easily that I dont think I could take it. Plus then I couldn't travel to do my shows so I couldn't make any money to support myself.

I live in OKC and we lost our power from that damn ice storm, so I had alot of time to sit in the cold darkness and just think. I was thinking how I need a definate source of income so I could live less stressfully and more comfortably.

So does anyone here have any good "life advise" or can anyone advise me on a good career path with just a HS diploma?

Thanks.

People do it every day....

That being said, what type of qualities would you be able to bring to an employer?

It does make it hard to get a "good" job, but then again there are people with degrees not making much money either.

More times than not, the presense of hard work and determination overcomes a piece of paper.
    A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

there are tons of jobs out there. have you ever though of going to the police academy? sanitation? you can go to a technical school to learn computers or mechanics.
      REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
      Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
      Purple Psyko
      Gold Feast
      Blue Gene
      Blue Growth
      REDuction AM/PM Shots
      REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
      Orange TRIad
      White Flood (5 Flavors)
      Black Hole
      Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
      Green Bulge
      White Blood 2
      Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
      Blue Up
      Blue Up (Stim-Free)
      GlycerGrow (Elements line)
      CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
      Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
        have you ever though of going to the police academy?
        hmm, I have thot about it.

Comment

You can work hard or you can work smart. There are lots of places that you can work your way up if you are willing to work. I got a job loading trucks at a plant a few years back making 8 bucks an hour. I busted my ass got there early stayed late and outworked everyone there while I was there. I worked there for 27 months before I quit. When I left I was over the shipping dept(hired over a degreed canidate) and was making 65K a year which isnt a ton but down here it is a living.

That being said I dont think you should rule out school for a few reasons. You should talk to an advisor and maybe take a aptitude test. If you are studying something that you are good at and enjoy maybe It wouldnt stress you as much. It seems to me like a college campuss would be right were an aspiring young rapper should be. Partys all the time that you could play and right in the middle of your target demo to push your merchandise.
          Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
            You can work hard or you can work smart. There are lots of places that you can work your way up if you are willing to work. I got a job loading trucks at a plant a few years back making 8 bucks an hour. I busted my ass got there early stayed late and outworked everyone there while I was there. I worked there for 27 months before I quit. When I left I was over the shipping dept(hired over a degreed canidate) and was making 65K a year which isnt a ton but down here it is a living.

That being said I dont think you should rule out school for a few reasons. You should talk to an advisor and maybe take a aptitude test. If you are studying something that you are good at and enjoy maybe It wouldnt stress you as much. It seems to me like a college campuss would be right were an aspiring young rapper should be. Partys all the time that you could play and right in the middle of your target demo to push your merchandise.
            Great Advise, I haven't completely ruled out college, but I don't believe right now is the time for me to be doing that.

Comment

Military?

Comment

college settings (depending on the school) = massive location to blow up fan base while earning a degree. it's not really that hard; im in grad school now, and i used to hate school. i never really put forth effort in academics up until my jr year in undergrad, before than it was always HS sports or college partying. than i started to try while i partied, and now im gettin paid to get my masters i get aprox. 25 grand a year (spread out -- 10K tuition, 2-3k health insurance, about 15k in $ payments) to teach weight training classes

it's great.

the sky is the limit.

find something that interests you, and go study it. I used to think I wanted to be a marijuana researcher.. than i shifted goals and got where I am now.

you need to define what qualifies a good job..a good life.. think about where you want to be in 2 years...5years...15,20years... than outline ways to get there -- supporting things that will facilitate progress, and obstacles you know youll have to overcome.... things just happen, but they happen because you put yourself in situations for them to happen. fate is BS - everything occurs for a reason, you can break almost every aspect of life down to minute details and systematically analyze it.. theres a cause that put you were you are now.. and you have numerous options ahead of you to make, you can go positive routes, or negative routes, the choice is up to you and your actions. etc.

college is necessary, but in the era we live in, it is become more and more required to live the norm (sadly) and even getting poster undergrad degrees are becoming more required. society as a whole has placed alot of emphasis into education (formally -- not learned/experienced) and thus the trends in everyone going to college ... it's not always the answer to the good job etc., but it will help in presenting yourself as possile canidates for a wide variety of jobs when having no degree does not.

i couldgo on, but i have an exercise phys final in 60minutes.. yippy. lol

goodluck
                Last edited by jiritt0; 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                  college settings (depending on the school) = massive location to blow up fan base while earning a degree. it's not really that hard; im in grad school now, and i used to hate school. i never really put forth effort in academics up until my jr year in undergrad, before than it was always HS sports or college partying. than i started to try while i partied, and now im gettin paid to get my masters i get aprox. 25 grand a year (spread out -- 10K tuition, 2-3k health insurance, about 15k in $ payments) to teach weight training classes

it's great.

the sky is the limit.

find something that interests you, and go study it. I used to think I wanted to be a marijuana researcher.. than i shifted goals and got where I am now.

you need to define what qualifies a good job..a good life.. think about where you want to be in 2 years...5years...15,20years... than outline ways to get there -- supporting things that will facilitate progress, and obstacles you know youll have to overcome.... things just happen, but they happen because you put yourself in situations for them to happen. fate is BS - everything occurs for a reason, you can break almost every aspect of life down to minute details and systematically analyze it.. theres a cause that put you were you are now.. and you have numerous options ahead of you to make, you can go positive routes, or negative routes, the choice is up to you and your actions. etc.

college is necessary, but in the era we live in, it is become more and more required to live the norm (sadly) and even getting poster undergrad degrees are becoming more required. society as a whole has placed alot of emphasis into education (formally -- not learned/experienced) and thus the trends in everyone going to college ... it's not always the answer to the good job etc., but it will help in presenting yourself as possile canidates for a wide variety of jobs when having no degree does not.

i couldgo on, but i have an exercise phys final in 60minutes.. yippy. lol

goodluck
                  Thanks! I actually read through it a few times

Comment

ops -- in the last paragraph of it i meant college isn't necessary at the beginning..

Comment

Everytime I open the paper there are TONS of job openings for Security Officers, but I have to get CLEET certified first. I've kind of been looking into that. Security Officer seems like a good job for a body builder.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                        Everytime I open the paper there are TONS of job openings for Security Officers, but I have to get CLEET certified first. I've kind of been looking into that. Security Officer seems like a good job for a body builder.
                        you can make twice as much money as a cop
                        REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
                        Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
                        Purple Psyko
                        Gold Feast
                        Blue Gene
                        Blue Growth
                        REDuction AM/PM Shots
                        REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
                        Orange TRIad
                        White Flood (5 Flavors)
                        Black Hole
                        Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
                        Green Bulge
                        White Blood 2
                        Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
                        Blue Up
                        Blue Up (Stim-Free)
                        GlycerGrow (Elements line)
                        CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
                        Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

Your rapping hopes will die if you go into police enforcement/security guard jobs.... where is the street cred in that?!

haha

ever think of getting certified to be a personal trainer ? you can get a kinesiology degree to boost it too; or dieitican/nutrionalist type studies..

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
                            you can make twice as much money as a cop
                            I dont think I would make a good cop, I've thought about it tho.

Your rapping hopes will die if you go into police enforcement/security guard jobs.... where is the street cred in that?!
                            Yeah, thats why I dont think i'd make for a good cop, but I think I could work a security gig.

ever think of getting certified to be a personal trainer ? you can get a kinesiology degree to boost it too; or dieitican/nutrionalist type studies..
                            How do I get certified as a PT without a 4 year kinesiology degree?

And thanks for all the advise, 'cause I really need it.
                            Last edited by adrian andras; 12-13-2007, 11:24 AM.

Comment

um, google ACE, ACSM... i think those are the big too...not sure tho

most PT's prolly dont have degrees in the field (?); it helps if you do - more marketable, clients simply think your better cos you have the education, etc.

I'm not too sure on PT process.. I've really put it off.. I hope to obtain it over this summer; if i have time/money etc... i seem to always be saying that though... =x

Life's a bitch man..if you don't have a vision of where you're going you'll get swept up in it and get lost along the way... I've come to learn the more experiences you can get yourself into the btter (assuming their good experiences)

Comment

Working...
                              X