Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ddawg, what do you think about reverse grip bench press ?

Comment

great bit of information here ....

just to comment on the simplification aspect of this ... my routine last year consisted of db flys, bb bench, bb incline bench, bb decline bench, and cable cross-overs ... this resulted in minimal gains and sore shoulders (shoulder workout was only two days later and not enough time to recover) ... my new routine is db bench, db incline, and db flyes ... all I can say is WOW ... the flyes are just used as a cool down with low weight and high reps (3x10x35) ... i'm seeing much more growth in strength over a shorter period of time now that I've dropped the number of exercises down
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g

Great for triceps, I rotate them out in my routine as one of my exercises. I always get weird looks when I do them. Have a spotter if going heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by strester
          great bit of information here ....

just to comment on the simplification aspect of this ... my routine last year consisted of db flys, bb bench, bb incline bench, bb decline bench, and cable cross-overs ... this resulted in minimal gains and sore shoulders (shoulder workout was only two days later and not enough time to recover) ... my new routine is db bench, db incline, and db flyes ... all I can say is WOW ... the flyes are just used as a cool down with low weight and high reps (3x10x35) ... i'm seeing much more growth in strength over a shorter period of time now that I've dropped the number of exercises down
          People think they need to do gobs of exercises for their routine, but if you keep it simple and focus on what youa re doing you will get great results.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I do back and tris on different days. I always start off back with a couple very light sets to warm up, usually lat pull down and rows because I get the best contractions and pump. On to the work sets…

Lat pull downs (wide grip attachment) – 4 x 8
            One arm DB rows – 4 x 8
            Seat cable rows – 4 x 8

That was the meat and potatoes. Trying things like deadlifts and basically going for bigger compound lifts. For the most part I do deads every other week, lat pull downs with the V attachment or wide grip (was doing wideset chins but they’re too easy now), lots of rows to get my spinal erectors caught up and to add mass. My taper is really decent for my size, but my upper back lags. I work out traps on shoulders day so I can get a good amount of rest. You can see pics soon. Asides from needing more mass, my genetics probably help out for the rest.

My tricep routine sucks. I’ll be the first to admit. I do seated french presses with a dumbell and go heavy, long and lock out. Warm up with one arm push downs for the contraction I get, but starting to move towards mass builders like skullkrushers, dips and CGBP. Work out my tri’s with my bi’s and try going lighter. Ego takes over and I’ll usually go heavy. I’ll be testing Green MAGnitute thankfully, so you or anyone else who wants to help scrutinize can throw in their two cents lol. Not sure what kind of changes you guys will tolerate. I won’t be changing anything ‘drastic’ in my eyes, but if I’m doing something I obviously shouldn’t be doing then I hope you guys wouldn’t mind. I’ll of course post everything of importance in my log too. Thanks, ddawg.

Comment

Originally posted by browndustin
              I do back and tris on different days. I always start off back with a couple very light sets to warm up, usually lat pull down and rows because I get the best contractions and pump. On to the work sets…

Lat pull downs (wide grip attachment) – 4 x 8
              One arm DB rows – 4 x 8
              Seat cable rows – 4 x 8

That was the meat and potatoes. Trying things like deadlifts and basically going for bigger compound lifts. For the most part I do deads every other week, lat pull downs with the V attachment or wide grip (was doing wideset chins but they’re too easy now), lots of rows to get my spinal erectors caught up and to add mass. My taper is really decent for my size, but my upper back lags. I work out traps on shoulders day so I can get a good amount of rest. You can see pics soon. Asides from needing more mass, my genetics probably help out for the rest.

My tricep routine sucks. I’ll be the first to admit. I do seated french presses with a dumbell and go heavy, long and lock out. Warm up with one arm push downs for the contraction I get, but starting to move towards mass builders like skullkrushers, dips and CGBP. Work out my tri’s with my bi’s and try going lighter. Ego takes over and I’ll usually go heavy. I’ll be testing Green MAGnitute thankfully, so you or anyone else who wants to help scrutinize can throw in their two cents lol. Not sure what kind of changes you guys will tolerate. I won’t be changing anything ‘drastic’ in my eyes, but if I’m doing something I obviously shouldn’t be doing then I hope you guys wouldn’t mind. I’ll of course post everything of importance in my log too. Thanks, ddawg.
              If you want to bring up your bench, light triceps won't do it. You need to hit them hard and heavy to build up strenght and mass. You are heading in the right direction with the skulls, dips, and CGBP. Add in some DB extension exercises too.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, ddawg! Highly appreciate the attention.

Yeah, I understand you need to go heavier for a big bench. What I had meant to say is that I’m TRYING to go lighter so I’m not exhausted come bench day, but my ego takes over and I keep piling on more weight lol. I suppose that it’d be more appropriate to keep training at whatever intensity I comfortably reach and maybe increase my caloric intake and rest a little more. Shouldn’t be too sore on chest days then..

I do still feel that it’s necessary to go lighter every once in a while because it can help keep me motivated and I don’t hit as many sticking points. Just consistency all the time. But I will look into a few more DB exercises. It’s actually my arms day today and I’ll make sure to kick it off with triceps instead of biceps. Definitely have some extra motivation today.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                  People think they need to do gobs of exercises for their routine, but if you keep it simple and focus on what youa re doing you will get great results.

Thanks for sharing!

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I am currently trying to fine tune my routine, by simply focusing on less exercises, but completely utilizing them by putting max effort into them, as that little article stated. However, I am sort of stuck here and wanted your advise if possible. I am currently doing bb bench, incline db bench, weighted dips and then finally machine flys with lighter weight and high reps, as sort of a cool down like someone else mentioned they do. Does this seem like too much? If so, which would you eliminate out of the first three? I was thinking of cutting the incline db bench and instead rotating that in every few weeks instead of bb bench.
                  Last edited by Mos Jeff; 06-19-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g

What about having one hand regular, and one hand reversed?

Comment

Originally posted by Mos Jeff
                      Agreed. As a matter of fact, I am currently trying to fine tune my routine, by simply focusing on less exercises, but completely utilizing them by putting max effort into them, as that little article stated. However, I am sort of stuck here and wanted your advise if possible. I am currently doing bb bench, incline db bench, weighted dips and then finally machine flys with lighter weight and high reps, as sort of a cool down like someone else mentioned they do. Does this seem like too much? If so, which would you eliminate out of the first three? I was thinking of cutting the incline db bench and instead rotating that in every few weeks instead of bb bench.
                      No that looks pretty good, what do you do for reps and sets?

Comment

Originally posted by Shutup
                        What about having one hand regular, and one hand reversed?

Never tried or seen that one. Do you do it or just asking?

Comment

JM PRESSES FOR EXTREME TRICEP POWER
                          by Mike Westerdal & Ben Tatar

Man are my triceps sore today! A couple days ago I was working
                          out with powerlifting coach Brian Highnote of Ttianium Barbell
                          Club here in St. Petersburg, FL and he showed me this kick-ass
                          exercise. Give it a try and you're guaranteed to add some size
                          and power to your triceps. Here's some background and a
                          description of the movement.

J.M. presses work a lot like skull crushers, but are much more
                          effective for developing tricep strength because the emphasis is
                          solely in the triceps. To perform J.M, first keep your hands 18
                          inches apart and lower the bar in a straight line above the lower
                          pecs and then stop 3-5 inches above the body, hold for a second,
                          and press the weight straight up. J.M. Presses work differently than
                          tricep extensions because the delts don't play a role, ensuring that the
                          triceps to do all the work. The JM press exercise was named after J.M.
                          Blakely who invented this exercise very recently. All of the world
                          record bench presser's holders are performing JM presses these days.
                          Most powerlifters use JM presses with heavy weights and lower reps.
                          Purpose of Exercise: An advanced exercise for developing explosive
                          power in the triceps.

Execution of Exercise: Lie on a flat bench, keep your feet firmly
                          pressed down on the floor for stability. Use a narrow grip (6-12inches)
                          on the bar. Lower the bar from arms length to 6 inches above your
                          sternum pause for a second and explosively push the bar back to the
                          start position. The bar should be lowered under control.

Important Points: The bar should move up and down in a straight
                          line i.e. the bar should not move towards your head or feet during the
                          lift, if this happens it is a sign that the bar is not under control. To
                          ensure maximum results keep your elbows pointed out and forearms
                          perpendicular to the floor. A spotter is advised.

You can see pictures of the exercise on this page:
                          http://www.criticalbench.com/JM-presses.htm

Comment

Wouldnt a 3/4 board press or Rack Lockouts be better than this JM Press?

Comment

Originally posted by ozcoltsfan
                              Wouldnt a 3/4 board press or Rack Lockouts be better than this JM Press?
                              It is different, with the others you come down or start resting. This one you have the momentum coming down, have to stop and press it back up all on your own. Try it and you will see the difference. I do something close on incline also.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91

Thanks for sharing!
                                So what do you think of this routine DDawg? Everyone seems to think it sucks, not that that matters since its working for me though. Any improvements I could make?

Monday:

Squat 3x8
                                Dumbell Bench 3x8
                                Barbell Row 3x8
                                Barbell Curl 2x8
                                Pullups 2xFailure

Wednesday:

Deadlift 3x8
                                Military Press 3x8
                                Lateral raises 3x8
                                Flyes 3x8

Friday: