"Distended stomach" / avoiding a "distended stomach" when bulking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Distended stomach" / avoiding a "distended stomach" when bulking

I thought this would be a good discussion. We all know that we have to eat big and lift big to get big. The "bloated" feeling when bulking is supposed to be temporary but neglecting your abs / core when bulking can lead to a distended stomach.

Supposedly certain pre-workout nutrition protocols and liver damage can also lead to a distended stomach... thoughts / discussion ?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

so easy to do...yet i never do it. i need to change this; effective immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
      http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

so easy to do...yet i never do it. i need to change this; effective immediately.
      So do you have to hold your breath while doing this? The article just said 'suck in and hold'. Not sure if it meant just hold the position or hold your breath as well.

Comment

To execute the Stomach Vacuum, stand upright and place your hands on your hips, and exhale all the air out of your lungs, completely. Expand your chest, and bring your stomach in as much as possible, and hold. Visualize trying to touch your navel to your backbone. One isometric contraction of "X" seconds is one repetition.

Once mastered, the Stomach Vacuum can be performed in a standing, kneeling, seated, and lying position. Now you will have no excuse to avoid abdominal training if you are stuck in traffic.

As an added bonus, you can use the Stomach Vacuum when doing your regular abdominal work. Focus on pulling in on the Transverse Abdominus. Simply do this by pulling in your stomach as far as you can and flex your groin muscles, as if you are trying to stop the flow of urine.

Training days for the Stomach Vacuum are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Week --------Exercise --------Seconds-------- Sets
        1 -----------Vacuum -------------20----------- 3
        2 -----------Vacuum -------------40 -----------3
        3 -----------Vacuum -------------60 -----------3

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/stomachvac.wvx

Comment

My stomach has been a big problem with my on my last bulk. I have to start not neglecting it. The biggest problem I have is that I hate working my abs.

Comment

I'd better start doing vaccums, I don't want to look like a pregnant mother.
            -Supplement Addict-

"You're going to tell me what I want to know, it's just a just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."
            -Jack Bauer

Comment

I think my thoughts on this have been influenced by someone else's theory but I can't think of who on the top of my head.

I think it has to do with today's increased emphasis on deadlifts and squats, most especially the deadlift. Back in the 70's and 80's deadlifts were not very popular, evident by the visible improvements we have made in our lower back and errector areas.

Because of these huge advancements in the lower back and errector areas, it "overpowers" and disturbs the proper balance between the abdominal muscles and the lower back. This, therefore, rounds out the abdominal wall and pushes the "gut" out.

And to add to this is the huge amounts of food bodybuilders consume. Bodybuilders are going to extreme lengths to eat more calories constantly stuffing themselves until they cannot have another bite. This overtime may stretch the abdominal fascia which does not shrink back to normal.

Just my thoughts.
              True Protein 5% Discount Code: MPP883

Comment

Wow, sounds easy enough.

I noticed that my gut's starting to stick out a little, despite my smaller physique. Had me a little worried.

Has anyone actually had some success with this? It looks pretty promising.

Comment

Interesting input:

When I try to figure something like this out, I look at who has the problem, and who doesn't. Then, I try to figure out what is different about each of them.

When you look at who has the typical "distention," these names come to mind. I don't want to knock any of them, because a lot of these guys are some of the top physiques in my mind.
                  Palumbo
                  Kovacs
                  Coleman
                  Kamali
                  Titus
                  Included in this would be a lot of the European guys who aren't quite as known. In fact, a lot of the worst culprits come from over seas.

When you look at the non-distention guys (sticking mostly to mass guys, as anyone can be small with no distention)
                  Cutler
                  Priest
                  Most of the people working with Aceto
                  Milos' guys have been able to curtail the stomach problems when developed as well

The first thing that jumps out at me is the distended guys all seem to be high protein guys.
                  The non distended guys all seem to be higher carb, lower protein guys.

It seems obvious to me that the non distention guys aren't avoiding GH and insulin either, so I think that makes the case against those two weaker.

Interestingly, Cutler has had two periods where he had trouble with distention. This year's Olympia was one, and the 2004 Arnold was the other. If you read interviews from him regarding his diet changes for those shows, you'll see one thing jumps out. And it's the fact that he switched from his normal higher carb diet to a high protein, lower carb diet for those shows.

This is in no way a knock against high protein diets, and I'm an advocate of high protein intake. But, there does seem to be similarities between a lot of the guys with distention, and high protein diets are one of them.

I believe I have a technique that can allow you to follow a very high protein diet, while also avoiding distention, and clients of mine will know what I do, but I don't want to disclose it here.
                  True Protein 5% Discount Code: MPP883

Comment

/\/\ I notice when i drastically increase protein consumption I have more of a bloated feeling throughout the day.. the opposite is true when i drastic reduce it as well.

For me tho, if I tighten my abs the bloat/distended look disappears..its when im relaxed that its visible for the most part. hopefully by cutting this summer, and increase abdominal work I can reduce or eliminate this distend/bloat.

Comment

This is an important issue to me because I'm in great shape, maybe 13% body fat, yet I have a gut which I am constantly tightening my abs to hide. Aside from stomach vaccuums, what other kind of ab work might help this?
                      Originally posted by stonecoldtruth
                      Couples who squat together stay together.

Comment

Originally posted by superhombre2k
                        This is an important issue to me because I'm in great shape, maybe 13% body fat, yet I have a gut which I am constantly tightening my abs to hide. Aside from stomach vaccuums, what other kind of ab work might help this?
                        It sucks to do them but crunches really do help. I have the same problem. As soon as I hit 30-35 I started having no problem gaining weight most of it in my belly. As I have been skinny for most of my life I have been "bulking" for the past few months, going from 145lbs to 160 in five months, most of it muscle mass. The belly bloat seems to come with the territory.

I too HATE doing abs, I sympathize.

Comment

Stomach vaccums are great because you can do them anywhere at any time without anyone ever knowing what you are doing (unless you make funny faces while doing it). I like to do them in the car or when sitting at my desk...

Comment

I had not heard of that one before but it's a great idea, I'll have to give it a try. The versatility of being able to do it at just about anytime is very nice. Thanks for posting the idea
                            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by MCWTRAINER
                              Stomach vaccums are great because you can do them anywhere at any time without anyone ever knowing what you are doing (unless you make funny faces while doing it). I like to do them in the car or when sitting at my desk...

haha that's when i do them too. i also do them during class, but sometimes i hold my breath too long and start breathing heavily for what seems like no reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X