Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycer Grow and Green Mag log

Background:

I am 30 years old, and I am just beginning lifting again after two setbacks with knee injuries. My first knee injury was pretty bad, and I was out for a long while. My next injury was just a tear of the meniscus, so it wasn't that big of a deal, just needed some time off to heal from surgery.

Prior to my injuries, I decided to seriously start lifting when I was 26 years old. I was 6'6 and roughly 150 pounds. I decided that I was finished looking emaciated/anorexic. I was always active, but my diet was terrible. So in a little under two years, I went from about 150lbs to 225. I was excited about the weight gain, but I was doing a dirty bulk, and I did gain some fat as well.

After the long layoff from the leg injuries, I am going to get started again. This time around my diet is going to be zeroed in, and my long term goal is to get back to 225, but this time with a lot less fat. I will record my progress after every workout.

Height:6'6
    Weight:190

Typical diet: Breakfast- 1 cup oats
    1 scoop protein
    1 tbsp natty pb
    1.5 cups skim milk

Lunch 2 cans tuna
    1 cupp brown rice
    1 cup brocoli
    2 cups skim milk

Afternoon meal : 1 cup oats
    1 scoop protein
    1 tbsp natty pb
    1.5 cups skim milk

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts
    1 cup brown rice
    1 cup veggies
    2 cups skim milk

PWO shake same as breakfast shake

Before bed: 1 cup cottage cheese
    1 piece of fruit

Supps: GG
    Green Mag
    Bulk BA
    Bulk BCAA
    Multi
    Fish oil

First workout:

This is my first week back, so I am going to take it easy and just remind my body what the proper form is for all of my lifts, and rebuild confidence in my knee. Also I am naturally physically quite weak, so it will take me awhile to get my lifts to being even close to decent.

Military Press
    95x9
    95x8
    95x5

BP
    135x 10
    135x 10
    135x 8

Close grip 95x10
    95x 10
    95x 8

Incline BP 115x8
    115x6
    115x4

Pullups BWx6
    BWx3
    BWx1

Ab exercises

As far as the supps go, I think it is too early to tell from the Green Mag. I did feel a pretty good pump, and I think that is from the GG. I have taken bulk products somewhat similar to GG in the past, and experienced some pretty good pumps. Without a product like GG, I almost never feel much of a pump.

Also I forgot to note that my water consumption is right at 2 gal a day. I am observing that pretty closely.

Tomorrow is legs, which I am a little nervous about, but I will just go slow.

Comment

Diet: Typical. Consumed 2 galloons of water.
      Supps: 3 scoops GG
      GM
      I skipped the bulk BCAA as I am experimenting to see how much I need them during a bulk.
      4 grams bulk BA
      Multi
      5 grams fish oil

Deadlifts 135x10
      135x10
      135x8
      I wasn’t very pleased with my form on this lift. I have abnormally long legs, so form is always a problem for me with this lift. So I am going to take it slow and really concentrate on my form. I cut my last set short because I started feeling some strange pain in my knee. It was probably just in my head, but I am not going to push it too hard the first couple of weeks.

Lunges 25 lb DB x 5

I didn’t give myself much rest between deads and lunges. I think that accounts for the variance in my number of reps between the first and second set. I rested for 2 minutes between the first and second set.

Straight leg deadlifts 95x8x3

Fairly unremarkable, just really focusing on form

Abs
      Calf exercises

Overall Thoughts: I thought it went pretty well. I was fairly worried about the deadlifts, but I am pretty sure all of that is in my head, and I will get more comfortable as time goes by. I didn’t feel much of a pump, but with leg day I am not surprised. My upper body is sore from my earlier workout, but it is not too bad, I am definitely ready for my next workout.
      Last edited by aeneas26; 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

So far so good !

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
          So far so good !

I doubt you remember, but after my first knee injury, I pm'ed you about getting back in the game. You gave me some good advice, I just wasn't able to implement it for very long. Thanks for the help, and I was wondering if I could ask you one more question.

I have been doing some research, and it seems like adding some L-Carnitine to GG would be beneficial. Do you agree?

Comment

Diet: In check, although I have two concerns. My first one is that I might not be eating enough. I think I am going to change things up a little, and add a turkey sandwich and a granola bar at 10:00 am. I think that might help. However before I do that, I am going to keep tabs on how I am progressing. I really want to do an optimal clean bulk, and I don't want to consume too many calories. I am just going to have to keep track.

My other concern is that next weekend I am installing hard wood floors in my house, and I have to stay focused and eat clean and the right amount. It is easy for me to get in a hurry and either miss a meal or pick up something that won't have the proper macros. I will probably just do a lot of cooking prior to my project so I can just reach in the fridge and grab something good for me.

Supps: Normal routine, and I can feel the bulk BA and GM really start to kick in. (Note I was loading BA a few weeks prior to the log) At the end of a set, I don't really feel any burn, my muscles just refuse to move anymore. It is a little unsettling when lifting by yourself, but I thought my endurance was better than has been.

Military Press: 95x5
            95x4
            95x3

Bent over Rows 115x8
            115x6
            I was really displeased with my form on this lift. I am going to have to check youtube and watch some good form, and really rededicate myself to doing this lift right

BP 135x10
            135x4
            135x3

Incline BP 45 lb DB 10x3

curls 65x10x3
            I experienced a good pump on this, but the pump was more pronounced in my right arm then in my left. I definitely have some imbalance between my left and right arm. It is not too pronounced, but I will have to address it.

abs

Overall thoughts: I think it went well. My numbers were down, I think mostly due to soreness. I think it will take me a little time to bounce into proper shape. I think I am going to pick up some PW in the next week or two, mostly for my cardio.I only plan on doing cardio once or twince a week while bulking, but I think it will be a good addition to the stack.

Comment

Originally posted by aeneas26
              I doubt you remember, but after my first knee injury, I pm'ed you about getting back in the game. You gave me some good advice, I just wasn't able to implement it for very long. Thanks for the help, and I was wondering if I could ask you one more question.

I have been doing some research, and it seems like adding some L-Carnitine to GG would be beneficial. Do you agree?
              Absolutely, and please keep us updated on what you notice from the addition (I like it in multi-gram doses)

Comment

I will probably just do a lot of cooking prior to my project so I can just reach in the fridge and grab something good for me.
                Chicken + Veggies + Mrs Dash + Tupperware

Keeps me going and saves me so much time.... and keeps the Chicken moist.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                  Chicken + Veggies + Mrs Dash + Tupperware

Keeps me going and saves me so much time.... and keeps the Chicken moist.

I think I will have to look into getting a George Foreman grill and some tupperware. I don't mind the eating, it's the food prep that sucks.

What is your suggestion for the timing of the L-Carnitine?

Additional notes:

I am done with the "I might not need BCAAs during a bulk" experiment. I am massively sore, and it was probably a mistake to even think I could get by without it. My recovery time has always been terrible, oh well. I will kill off the bulk BCAAs that I have, and then just pick up some PW. For the price PW seems like a really good bargain. I just wonder if I need to supplement it with a little more BA and CM. Tough to tell, I will just play it by ear and experiment.

YEsterday was a strange day. I was sweating the whole day, even though I was sitting inside just reading. I could not cool off no matter what. It felt like my metabolism was racing. I had to go to the bathroom like 5 or 6 times and I was starving the whole day. I will chalk it up to my body readjusting to bulking. I didn't feel sick, it was a strange day.

Comment

Well Sunday was an off day, so all I had to do was eat right and rest, and I still managed to screw up the eating part. I had five of my meals in (all clean) and then I sat down to read, and I woke up around 2:00 a.m. So my meal schedule got a little off track. I put some cottage cheese some whey protein and some fruit in a blender slammed it down and went to bed, but I would rather not let those sorts of things happen.

It occured to me that I need to post my measurements. I will take them later tonight after the pump leaves from my workout and post them tomorrow.

One last note: I am starting to feel some pressure/pain in my right kidney area. I don't know if it is sciatica or some other skeletal thing, but I don't think so. I have had sciatica before, and it was on my right side, but this feels different. My water consumption is at 2 gallons, and I am not taking any diuretics(sp?). I doubt it is a reaction to the Green Mag, especially with my history of back problems but I am wondering. I might go get it checked out by the doc.

Comment

Diet: 6 clean meals.

Supps: GG 3 scoops
                      GM
                      Bulk BA
                      Fish oil
                      Multi
                      L-Carnitine

I didn’t take any BCAAs, I just forgot to take them.

Exercise Routine: I decided to do Rippetoes Starting Strength program for the next 2 months. Given how weak my legs are, and how awkward I am with my form on some of the fundamental lifts, it just makes sense to me to start at the beginning.

Squat 95x5x3

I was really focusing on proper form, and I think I did a pretty good job. I will add 5 lbs to this every workout.

Bench Press: 135x5x3

This was very easy. I think I am probably going to increase this by ten pounds next time

Pendlay Rows: 95x5x3

The weight itself was very easy, but I was really struggling with proper form. I think I have it figured out now, it is just hard with my legs being as long as they are. By my last set, I really think I had the form down, and I will be increasing this by 10-15 pounds next time.

Overall thoughts: By the end of the workout, my lower back was pretty tired. I will be doing some ab work today. My pain in my right kidney area is getting a little worse. I am going to call and make a doctor’s appointment and find out exactly what I am dealing with. Tomorrow I will be posting my weight and my measurements. I took them last night, I just forgot to bring them with me to work.

Comment

My diet and supps are on schedule except for my GM. I quit taking it, and my kidney pain decreased significantly by the next day. Hardly conclusive, but I am going to wait for my doctor's appointment before I resume.

Here are my measurements:

Arms 14.5 14
                        Chest 41.75 (around nipples)
                        Shoulders 46
                        Waist 33.25 (around bellybutton)
                        Forearm 11.75 11.5
                        Quads 22.5 21 (midway between hip and knee)
                        Butt 39.5
                        Calf 14.5 14.125

Workout

Squat 100x5x3
                        Military Press 100x5x4x4
                        Deadlift 155x5x1
                        Ab work

My form is improving, and I think I will see some pretty good gains in the upcoming two months.

Comment

My form is improving, and I think I will see some pretty good gains in the upcoming two months.

Comment

Supps are fine: although I am taking a hiatus from GM until I get to the doctor.

Diet: Was in check yesterday until dinner. Yesterday was my wedding anniversary so I took my wife out. I had a steak, baked white potato and some asparagus. I think theat was pretty much ok, but I also had some spinach dip with chips which I am sure was not ok. I am just considering that my cheat for the week.

Squat: 105x5x3

Bench 155x5 155x3 155x2
                            I will stick at this weight until I can do it 5 times for all three sets

Pendlay Rows: 135x5x3
                            The weight was easy, and my form is really getting better.

ab work:

I think I am starting to hit a grove. GG is really giving me some crazy pumps and vascularity. As soon as I check out everything with the doc and it turns out that I am ok, my strength should see a nice boost from the GM.

For the price and the amount you get, I think GG is one of the more underrated supps. I am surprised that it isn't more popular than it is. It does everything it claims and it is reasonably priced.

Comment

Supps in check: although the doctor called and reshceduled my appt. It will be a little longer until I can figure out what is going on with my kidney pain. Although now that I have been off the GM for awhile, the pain has totally gone. I was drinking 2 gallons of water a day while I was taking it, so I don't know what the deal is.

Diet: My DIY installing hard wood floors project has tested my diet. So far so good. It is still in check and my macros and calorie intake are on pace

Workout: Squat 115x5x3
                              These were easy. I am pleased with how my legs are responding. I am taking it slow b/c of my injury, but I am starting to think that I can slowly build up my leg to an acceptable level again.

Military press: 100x5x3
                              These were easy too. This weight is a holdover from my last workout, and this time it was a breeze.

Deadlift: 185x5x1
                              These were not too bad.

Overall my intensity and strength are slowly improving. The GG is giving me good pumps, and I really hope to be able to start up the GM soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X