Training around injuries....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training around injuries....

Because of an impinged right shoulder and lower back issues I've had to immediately discontinue my plans for power/ rr/ shock and am now following a very high volume/ low intensity / brief rest (1min to 90 sec max between sets)program. Would this be reccomended or not?
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Originally posted by timberwolf
    Because of an impinged right shoulder and lower back issues I've had to immediately discontinue my plans for power/ rr/ shock and am now following a very high volume/ low intensity / brief rest (1min to 90 sec max between sets)program. Would this be reccomended or not?
    I predict that you will love the switch, for at least the first 1-2 months. Expect size and soreness, but little / no strength gains IMO.

Comment

good muscular endurace / cardiovascular system of training - but has pu12 eluded too not for muscular strength

Comment

I think it looks pretty good, will keep muscle memory and as the guys said above. However, sometimes high volume = muscle pump = pain in the shoulder joint. So really listen to yoru body, rest, and ice it.

Comment

if you wanna really shock your body out of homeostasis-- run on a treadmill, pedal a bike real fast, do jumping jacks, something during that brief rest period..

!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
            I think it looks pretty good, will keep muscle memory and as the guys said above. However, sometimes high volume = muscle pump = pain in the shoulder joint. So really listen to yoru body, rest, and ice it.
            Here's a sample of each day...

chest/ arms
            *1min rest between sets

bandwork

pushups
            bw/100x1
            bw/30x3

benchpress
            135/8x8

hammer s. incline
            90/12x6

ez curl
            75/12x7

reverse ez curls
            55/14x7

pressdown
            80/10x8

machine ext.
            80/12x1
            80/10x5
            80/12x2

lower body
            *1min rest between alls ets

standing calf
            200/25x1
            300/25x5

leg ext.
            120/12x6

bodybuilding squats
            135/12x6

lying leg curl
            60/20x6

hyperextensions
            bw/20x4

glute press
            left)
            50/10x4
            right)
            same

stretching 14:20

back/ delts (1)
            *1min rest between sets

band work

chest supported rows
            150/8x8

neutral grip pulldowns
            120/10x10

standing pulldown
            105/15x4

laterals (seated)
            15's/15x10

machine press
            70/15x6

shrugs
            185/10x8

stretching 12:20
            kane@controlledlabs.com
            www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

I am suprised that the amount of pushups and the curls do not hurt the shoulder. I know back when I was having all of my problems, those 2 especially made the tendons flare up real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                I am suprised that the amount of pushups and the curls do not hurt the shoulder. I know back when I was having all of my problems, those 2 especially made the tendons flare up real bad.
                I've had to alter my pushups and bench. I try to keep my elbows in as much as possible. The curls doesn't bother my shoulders either so long as elbows again stay in... though incline curls are out. With squats, my hand spacing has to be extra wide, now and the laterals are somewhat limited in range of motion. I can't do a lat spread or even flex my triceps without some pain.
                kane@controlledlabs.com
                www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                  if you wanna really shock your body out of homeostasis-- run on a treadmill, pedal a bike real fast, do jumping jacks, something during that brief rest period..

!!!

Really wouldn't recommend that kind of stress on an already impaired lower back injury. I'd go with the high rep, lower weight scheme for a few workouts and then take a day to test yourself, slightly and I emphasize that. Say you're doing 155 x 25-30 reps x 3-5 sets. Hit that for 2-3 sessions and then the next Go back to the old routine you were using but obviously dont try to hit that 315. I'd probably limit it to 245 or so, and see how the first rep or two feels. Also, with a shoulder injury, watch yourself on most all upper body movements. You already know this but just thought I'd pop in a friendly reminder. Good luck.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                  Purple Wraath
                  Green Magnitude
                  Orange Triad
                  White Flood
                  Blue Up
                  100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                  US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

How are things going Kane ?

Comment

I am training around a strained neck right now. Not fun with heavy bench!

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
                        How are things going Kane ?
                        I recently did 185 for sets of 5 on the bench without any pain. SO finnalyy moved beyond 1 plate again. Also did 185 for multiple sets of 3-4 on front squats (clean grip). I still have difficulty with back squats because of my shoulders.
                        kane@controlledlabs.com
                        www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

I'm training around a strained/sprained lower back. I've been doing the heavy deads/squats for a few months now and it's finally caught up with me. It's now time to do what your doing kane, volume + light weight

Comment

Woke up last saturday morning with what feels like a pulled trap muscle. I think I'm going to take a week off (after training up until tuesday and deciding the pain wasn't worth it) and then start back up low weight/hi volume and see what happens.
                            Damn injuries suck. Just when my right forearm was just starting to feel better, this happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X