Bench Press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Press...

Started school up a couple of weeks ago and am in weights class. Our teacher has been making us touch our chest in bench. I've never gone all the way down and touched my chest.. i usually go a fist size above my chest... which is passed 90 by a ways. Do you believe in touching your chest? I think it just feels like it's tearing the shit out of my rotator cuffs.... just looking for what you guys/gals do and what you believe.

I always touch my chest, just the way I've done it. Honestly not sure about the rotater cuff thing.

Comment

I go all the way to my chest as well... Never had any shoulder issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lander
        I go all the way to my chest as well... Never had any shoulder issues.
        As do I and I am actually a pitcher.

Comment

touch the chest (or get damn close) - don't bounce it on the chest or rest it on the chest.

Im teaching weight training too, and my big thing with my kids is too keep your elbows close to the body and not flared out to the side - makes it alot harder and puts work on the bicep/tricep in addition to the norm bench targets

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
            touch the chest (or get damn close) - don't bounce it on the chest or rest it on the chest.

Im teaching weight training too, and my big thing with my kids is too keep your elbows close to the body and not flared out to the side - makes it alot harder and puts work on the bicep/tricep in addition to the norm bench targets
            Excellent advice right here! This also takes most of the stress off the shoulder joint.

Comment

i agree, tuck your elbows. your RC are hurting probably because your benching too high on your chest. Having Tucked elbows should help you touch lower on your chest. I suggest you do some RC strengthening exercises a couple days a week.
              17 year old FREAKST

SUPPLEMENTS.NET REP

Comment

I've had a few shoulder surgeries (I used to pitch professionally) and I don't have any problems with touching my chest when I bench now. I always touch my chest or stop within an inch of touching.
                Check out my website, I think you might like it:
                http://allthemisc.com/

Comment

same advice as everyone else, but also try warming up the RC with some light band work before you hit the bench ... I've had bad RC problems in the past and this has helped quite a bit
                  jdouchebag for president

Comment

The difference between going to your chest and the fist length that you give shouldn't be causing damage to your RC anyway.

Comment

probably the best explaination of where the bar should go

and you dont want the bar to end up over there or you are going to die

Comment

Yup, i always touch the chest.. not doing so is cheating in my book and thats why many times i see people in the gym using too heavy weights, but not executing the full range of motion. what is the point of looking cool/strong in the gym if you don't get the results at home?

Comment

I hate touching my chest, it seems to become less of a chest isolation movement and puts more stress on the shoulder.

It never hurt me to do so, but it just seems to isolate the chest more to not do so.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto

shouldnt u not tuck ur elbows in because u dont want the extra help from ur tricep??

Comment

why not? you work the chest, and you get some resistence to the triceps too, it's a bonus.

The bench pres isn't the greatest chest exercise, it is efficient but there are better isolation movements for the chest if that is your sole focus. Most people flare their elbows out because it may feel more comfrotable and they can lift more weight initially.. it's allot harder keeping your elbows tucked tight to the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X