Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1: Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005 Feb;288(2):R345-53.
    Inflammatory processes in muscle injury and repair.Tidball JG.

Modified muscle use or injury can produce a stereotypic inflammatory response in which neutrophils rapidly invade, followed by macrophages. This inflammatory response coincides with muscle repair, regeneration, and growth, which involve activation and proliferation of satellite cells, followed by their terminal differentiation. Recent investigations have begun to explore the relationship between inflammatory cell functions and skeletal muscle injury and repair by using genetically modified animal models, antibody depletions of specific inflammatory cell populations, or expression profiling of inflamed muscle after injury. These studies have contributed to a complex picture in which inflammatory cells promote both injury and repair, through the combined actions of free radicals, growth factors, and chemokines. In this review, recent discoveries concerning the interactions between skeletal muscle and inflammatory cells are presented. New findings clearly show a role for neutrophils in promoting muscle damage soon after muscle injury or modified use. No direct evidence is yet available to show that neutrophils play a beneficial role in muscle repair or regeneration. Macrophages have also been shown capable of promoting muscle damage in vivo and in vitro through the release of free radicals, although other findings indicate that they may also play a role in muscle repair and regeneration through growth factors and cytokine-mediated signaling. However, this role for macrophages in muscle regeneration is still not definitive; other cells present in muscle can also produce the potentially regenerative factors, and it remains to be proven whether macrophage-derived factors are essential for muscle repair or regeneration in vivo. New evidence also shows that muscle cells can release positive and negative regulators of inflammatory cell invasion, and thereby play an active role in modulating the inflammatory process. In particular, muscle-derived nitric oxide can inhibit inflammatory cell invasion of healthy muscle and protect muscle from lysis by inflammatory cells in vivo and in vitro. On the other hand, muscle-derived cytokines can signal for inflammatory cell invasion, at least in vitro. The immediate challenge for advancing our current understanding of the relationships between muscle and inflammatory cells during muscle injury and repair is to place what has been learned in vitro into the complex and dynamic in vivo environment.
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

J Physiol. 2003 Jul 15;550(Pt 2):347-56. Epub 2003 May 23. Links
      Expression of a muscle-specific, nitric oxide synthase transgene prevents muscle membrane injury and reduces muscle inflammation during modified muscle use in mice.Nguyen HX, Tidball JG.

Nitric oxide (NO) can function as either a pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory molecule, depending upon its concentration and the microenvironment in which it is produced. We tested whether muscle-derived NO affects muscle inflammation and membrane lysis that occur in modified muscle use. Transgenic mice with muscle-specific over-expression of neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) were generated in which transgene expression was driven by the human skeletal muscle actin promoter. Transgenic mice and non-transgenic littermates were subjected to hindlimb muscle unloading followed by reloading, which causes muscle inflammation and membrane lysis. NOS expression decreased in transgenic and non-transgenic mice during muscle unloading. Muscle inflammation was assessed by immunohistochemistry after 24 h of muscle reloading following 10 days of unloading. Soleus muscles of non-transgenic mice showed significant increases in the concentrations of neutrophils (4.8-fold) and macrophages (11.3-fold) during reloading, compared to mice that experienced unloading only. Muscles of transgenic mice showed 51 % fewer neutrophils in reloaded muscles than those of non-transgenic mice, but macrophage concentrations did not differ from non-transgenic mice. Muscle membrane damage was determined by measuring influx of an extracellular marker dye. Significantly more membrane damage occurred in muscles of non-transgenic mice experiencing reloading than in ambulatory controls. However, membrane damage in the reloaded muscles of transgenic mice did not differ from that in ambulatory mice. In vitro cytotoxicity assays confirmed that mouse neutrophils lyse muscle cell membranes, and showed that inhibition of NOS in muscle and neutrophil co-cultures significantly increased neutrophil-mediated lysis of muscle cells. Together, these data show that muscle-derived NO can function as an anti-inflammatory molecule in muscle that experiences modified loading, and that NO can prevent neutrophil-mediated damage of muscle cell membranes in vivo and in vitro.
      Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Very interested stuff Dr Dave

Comment

Wow, I think I’ll have to break open the dictionary or dig through my moms medical books…

All that I know is that stretching really does work. I’ve obviously improved flexibility, recover quicker and have seen some noticeable physics gains. I’ve got the stretch marks to prove it

Thanks for the excellent posts, boys.

Comment

should be a sticky
            jdouchebag for president

Comment

Working...
            X