IphOWNED !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IphOWNED !!!

NEW YORK (AP) -- A teenager in New Jersey has broken the lock that ties Apple's iPhone to AT&T's wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

The New Jersey teen collaborated online with four other people to develop the unlocking process.

George Hotz, 17, confirmed Friday that he had unlocked an iPhone and was using it on T-Mobile's network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from San Antonio-based AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology.

While the possibility of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile may not be a major development for U.S. consumers, it opens up the iPhone for use on the networks of overseas carriers.

"That's the big thing," said Hotz, in a phone interview from his home in Glen Rock.

The phone, which combines an innovative touch-screen interface with the media-playing abilities of the iPod, is sold only in the U.S.

AT&T Inc. spokesman Mark Siegel said the company had no comment, and referred questions to Apple. A call to Apple was not immediately returned. Hotz said the companies had not been in touch with him.

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday on his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes about two hours to perform. Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz said. "I don't want people making money off this."

He said he wished he could make the instructions simpler, so users could modify the phones themselves.

"But that's the simplest I could make them," Hotz said.

The modification leaves the iPhone's many functions, including a built-in camera and the ability to access Wi-Fi networks, intact. The only thing that won't work is the "visual voicemail" feature, which shows voice messages as if they were incoming e-mail.

Hotz collaborated online with four other people, two of them in Russia, to develop the unlocking process.

"Then there are two guys who I think are somewhere U.S.-side," Hotz said. He knows them only by their online handles.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

I just read the kids instructions on how to it and I got lost after step 4 out of 10

Comment

Its ok you can buy one for the low low price of http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Second-Un...QQcmdZViewItem
      Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
        Its ok you can buy one for the low low price of http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Second-Un...QQcmdZViewItem

World's Second Unlocked iPhone----US $40,900.00

Comment

damn, feel sorry for the sucker spending 50k+ on that thing
          REDuction SHOTS are Now Here!

Out Now:
          Orange OxiMega (Fish Oil & Greens)
          Purple Psyko
          Gold Feast
          Blue Gene
          Blue Growth
          REDuction AM/PM Shots
          REDuction AM/PM (and PM solo)
          Orange TRIad
          White Flood (5 Flavors)
          Black Hole
          Green MAGnitude (apple or lemonade)
          Green Bulge
          White Blood 2
          Purple Wraath (grape or lemonade)
          Blue Up
          Blue Up (Stim-Free)
          GlycerGrow (Elements line)
          CLAmore (Elements Line)

Toll Free: (800) 692-4558
          Tank "@" ControlledLabs.com

Comment

LOL, read this part of the auction:

"Soon, you will be able to buy unlocked iPhones everywhere, in fact probably before this auction ends. But this is the one that started it all. The one unlocked while the steps were posted live on the blog. This isn't just an unlocked iPhone, this is a piece of history."

Yeah okay buddy, whatever you say!

Comment

Originally posted by Controlled Labs
              damn, feel sorry for the sucker spending 50k+ on that thing
              ^^^^

...... you bought it didn't you !!!

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeRows
                "This isn't just an unlocked iPhone, this is a piece of history."
                SIDEACHE !!!

Comment

whatever happened to friendly out door games for teenagers? ya kno a nice game of kickball, or tag or something..

Comment

bill gates/steve jobs happend.
                    A Gold's Gym puppet - and proud of it.

Comment

Sounds complicated.
                      Supplements.net Board Rep

Quality, Supplements at Great Prices.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
                        whatever happened to friendly out door games for teenagers? ya kno a nice game of kickball, or tag or something..
                        It's too dangerous out there, what with all the terrorists and shoe-bombers.

Does anyone remember the episode of the Simpsons where Marge gets mugged, becomes afraid to leave her house, then starts lifting weights in the basement? Classic!

Comment

I think the iPhone is stupid and a waste of money to begin with.
                          200 pounds is 200 pounds. You don't need a cute little shirt and a nice classy gym to lift 200 pounds. Get big, stop bitching, and LIFT.

Comment

Originally posted by ProWrestleFan
                            amen brother

Comment

Originally posted by ProWrestleFan
                              Its a technical marvel. And a delicate one at that. the screens break like toothpicks. A guy I know had one in his pocket and when he sat down his pants got a little tight, ending up putting to much pressure on the phone and cracking the screen. That is just sad. Its a peice of junk
                              Failure is only a word. I don't plan on giving it meaning

Comment

Working...
                              X