Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Ruptured Disc Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    24

    Question Ruptured Disc Question

    I have a ruptured disc that is killin me at the moment. It hits me about once every year or 2. well. Now I workout every 48 hours and wanted to know if lifting is a bad thing??? It doesn't seem to make it any worse. But I don't wanna damage it further.

    Also, Is there any "home remedies" that may help with pain and the bulging disc??

    I have Loratabs and an anti inflamitory med that is just not doing a whole lot.

    Any advice would rawk!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    WA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    466

    Default

    Well fist off I would check with a doctor and find out what limitations they would have. A doctor or physical therapist can give you exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles and even help with the relief of the pain.

    The pain meds and anti-inflammatory medicine may not be working as you may be lifting in a way that is irritating the injury, another reason to see the doctor and a physical therapist.

    The problem is that with a ruptured disk you run the possibility of causing nerve damage.

    Sorry I could not be more help but when it comes to injuries to the back. neck, or spine I am overly cautious and I think rightly so.
    Last edited by ddawg91; 08-17-2007 at 06:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,731
    Rep Power
    717

    Default

    Check with your doc.

    In the meantime, go easy with the squats, deadlifts and overhead presses as those are the exercises that stress the lumbar region.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Right on!! Thanks.

    Yeah, I have to get an MRI now. It is just a constant dull pain. I am gonna only bench and curl. Plus work on the legs a lil til I am back up full throttle.

    Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    JAX FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Although no ruptures (yet) I have two dessicated discs (think bulge like herniated, but inwards...pressing against the spinal cord). I am just recently getting back into the gym...about two months now...coming off a six month hiatus due to my last episode.

    My orthopaedic surgeon has told me I can lift, but only machines that don't target lower back areas and light to medium DB excercises. Maybe you could try something along these lines?

    After two months, I'm nowhere near where I was before I hurt my back, but I can see results...it's just very slow going when you have to lift starting out with 25 to 45 lb DBs.

    I was nervous at first, but since things are going well, I pick the intensity up a little more every week.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddawg91
    Well fist off I would check with a doctor and find out what limitations they would have. A doctor or physical therapist can give you exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles and even help with the relief of the pain.

    The pain meds and anti-inflammatory medicine may not be working as you may be lifting in a way that is irritating the injury, another reason to see the doctor and a physical therapist.

    The problem is that with a ruptured disk you run the possibility of causing nerve damage.

    Sorry I could not be more help but when it comes to injuries to the back. neck, or spine I am overly cautious and I think rightly so.
    Good advice by ddawg It's impossible to give you informed advice without seeing an MRI, getting a full history, and doing a physical exam. Therefore, the best advice will come from your doc who will get all that info. In the meantime be careful and avoid anything that puts stress on your back and triggers your symptoms. Good luck with your disc.
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    Great timing on this thread.... Have had to layoff abit. Messed up my shoulders and then have been hitting lower body three days per week. So now my lower back is acting up. A couple years ago this was the report after a CT scan....

    Any suggestions?

    L3-4:
    Mild disc bulge. Hypertrophy of the facet joints and ligamentum flavium causing mild to moderate spinal stenosis which may be partially congenital as well.

    L4-5:
    There is mild to moderate diffuse disc bulge with facet OA and hypertrophy and ligamentum hypertrophy causing severe spinal stenosis.

    L5-S1
    Moderate disc protrusion with a more focal central component which compresses the thecal sac. Mild facet OA and hypertrophy which together with the disc protrusion causes additional compression of the thecal sac due to spinal stenosis which is at least moderate.

    SUMMARY:
    Spinal stenosis at all levels which appears partly congenital and partly aqquired and is severe at L4-5 associated with disc bulge. Disc protrusion and spinal stenosis at L5-S1 causing severe compression of the thecal sac at this level as well.
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    What can be safe lifting?

    Bench, Curls leg press, and treadmill is what I am doing now.

    Are there other safe lifts I can use while I am dealing with this?

    Should I avoid anything over my head??

    Thanks for all your help guys!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf
    Great timing on this thread.... Have had to layoff abit. Messed up my shoulders and then have been hitting lower body three days per week. So now my lower back is acting up. A couple years ago this was the report after a CT scan....

    Any suggestions?
    From what I have seen in my short time on neurosurgery history and symptoms are key. If you have a bulge but are not experienceing symptoms (slectric shock like pain shooting down the leg, decrease in strength, decrease in sensation) then there is no need for surgery. Surgery will most likley not help "back pain" surgery is done to decompress the spinal cord so that you do not lose function of your nerves in the spinal cord. That being said if you are worried about it it's best to go to your doc b/c the physical exam and updated imaging is helpful.
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedbuilder
    What can be safe lifting?

    Bench, Curls leg press, and treadmill is what I am doing now.

    Are there other safe lifts I can use while I am dealing with this?

    Should I avoid anything over my head??

    Thanks for all your help guys!!
    First take a look at my reply above to timberwolf. The pain that we are worried about is pain that shoots down the leg as opposed to "back pain". As for exercises I think it's best to let pain be your guide . . . if it hurts don't do it. You have to be careful b/c pain meds and antiinflammatories can mask the pain. As for the lifts you listed . . . depending on how the curls are done you can be placing stress on your back, I would avoid running as the impact of the feet translates up to the spine (swimming would be ideal, but an eliptical trainer would probably be better), avoiding over head lifts is probably a good idea. Again I do not know how severe your back issues are so those suggestions might be overkill or you made need even more restrictions. You should ask your doc for a physical therapy referral if he/she can't tell you what exercises are safe. Your doc can offer much better advice than I so check with him/her if you can. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    WA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    466

    Default

    As always, thanks for the imput Dr Dave!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Dave1
    From what I have seen in my short time on neurosurgery history and symptoms are key. If you have a bulge but are not experienceing symptoms (slectric shock like pain shooting down the leg, decrease in strength, decrease in sensation) then there is no need for surgery. Surgery will most likley not help "back pain" surgery is done to decompress the spinal cord so that you do not lose function of your nerves in the spinal cord. That being said if you are worried about it it's best to go to your doc b/c the physical exam and updated imaging is helpful.
    Thank you for the input.
    I used to have some numbness shooting down left leg but not this time. More just pain and stiffness...
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddawg91
    As always, thanks for the imput Dr Dave!

    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf
    Thank you for the input.
    I used to have some numbness shooting down left leg but not this time. More just pain and stiffness...
    No problem guys, I'm glad to share my thoughts anytime
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    An MRI has been scheduled for me in 6-8 weeks.
    Today I was prescribed arthrotec 75 along with novo- cyclopine 10mg.

    Any thoughts on these?
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedbuilder
    What can be safe lifting?

    Bench, Curls leg press, and treadmill is what I am doing now.

    Are there other safe lifts I can use while I am dealing with this?

    Should I avoid anything over my head??

    Thanks for all your help guys!!

    Really anything that puts stress on your back will be something to avoid. However, saying that, you could do something like bend over to tie your shoes and experience a problem. Dr. hit it dead on with "pain is your guide". Scale of 1-10, how bad is whatever you do? Go by that, get the exam done and get the problem fixed. Ruptures/bulges/herniated are no fun and easily fucked up. Joints are one thing, your back, entirely different animal and obviously MUCH more important. Good luck on it.

    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17


    Current Supps:
    Purple Wraath
    Green Magnitude
    Orange Triad
    White Flood
    Blue Up
    100% ON Classic Whey


    Ninety percent of everything is crap.

    Theodore Sturgeon
    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf
    An MRI has been scheduled for me in 6-8 weeks.
    Today I was prescribed arthrotec 75 along with novo- cyclopine 10mg.

    Any thoughts on these?
    well th 1st is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) plus something to prevent ulcers as NSAIDs increase risk of stomach ulcers; the second is a muscle relaxant. Both sounds like reasonable drugs. It's not unwarranted to use those types of meds as 80% of back pain improves on it's own within a year, even disc bulges can disappear. If your just having pain and stiffness I see no prob with that regimen. Again I am only a med student so my thoughts are by no means the end all be all. I am interested in neurosurgery so I know more than the average med student about back pain but I am no expert. I hope the MRI shows improvement and you can get some relief from the back pain as it really can be debilitating.

    Just don't go too crazy with the weight training
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    Finally recieved the results of mt MRI:

    Findings: Vertebral bodies are intact. Allignment is within normal limits.

    Mild generalized disc bulge at L2-L3 no significant central canal stenosis. Mild narrowing of right neural foramina. Mild to moderate narrowing of left neural foramina.

    Mild generalized sic bulge at L3-L4 with no significant central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

    Mild to moderate generalized disc bulge at L4-L5. There is encroachment upon the lateral recesses which is further aggravated by facet osteoarthritic change. there may be mild compression on the traversing L5 nerve roots. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

    Minimal generalized disc bulge at L5-S1. This enroached upon the lateral recesses and may slightly compress the traversing S1 nerve roots. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal stenosis.

    Impressions: Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease as described. No central canal stenoisis.
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    WA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf
    Finally recieved the results of mt MRI:

    Findings: Vertebral bodies are intact. Allignment is within normal limits.

    Mild generalized disc bulge at L2-L3 no significant central canal stenosis. Mild narrowing of right neural foramina. Mild to moderate narrowing of left neural foramina.

    Mild generalized sic bulge at L3-L4 with no significant central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

    Mild to moderate generalized disc bulge at L4-L5. There is encroachment upon the lateral recesses which is further aggravated by facet osteoarthritic change. there may be mild compression on the traversing L5 nerve roots. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

    Minimal generalized disc bulge at L5-S1. This enroached upon the lateral recesses and may slightly compress the traversing S1 nerve roots. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal stenosis.

    Impressions: Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease as described. No central canal stenoisis.
    I am amazed with the amount of degenerative disc disease, I have 3 buddies that have it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddawg91
    I am amazed with the amount of degenerative disc disease, I have 3 buddies that have it.
    Do they have to avoid any specific lifts?
    I'm going to start introducing fron squats again... though very light probably 95lbs at most and feel it out.
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    38
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf
    Finally recieved the results of mt MRI:

    Findings: Vertebral bodies are intact. Allignment is within normal limits.

    Mild generalized disc bulge at L2-L3 no significant central canal stenosis. Mild narrowing of right neural foramina. Mild to moderate narrowing of left neural foramina.

    Mild generalized sic bulge at L3-L4 with no significant central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

    Mild to moderate generalized disc bulge at L4-L5. There is encroachment upon the lateral recesses which is further aggravated by facet osteoarthritic change. there may be mild compression on the traversing L5 nerve roots. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

    Minimal generalized disc bulge at L5-S1. This enroached upon the lateral recesses and may slightly compress the traversing S1 nerve roots. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal stenosis.

    Impressions: Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease as described. No central canal stenoisis.
    Lack of central canal stenosis is good news . . . how are the symptoms?
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.


    www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Bodybuilding Program