Ruptured Disc Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timberwolf
    An MRI has been scheduled for me in 6-8 weeks.
    Today I was prescribed arthrotec 75 along with novo- cyclopine 10mg.

Any thoughts on these?
    well th 1st is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) plus something to prevent ulcers as NSAIDs increase risk of stomach ulcers; the second is a muscle relaxant. Both sounds like reasonable drugs. It's not unwarranted to use those types of meds as 80% of back pain improves on it's own within a year, even disc bulges can disappear. If your just having pain and stiffness I see no prob with that regimen. Again I am only a med student so my thoughts are by no means the end all be all. I am interested in neurosurgery so I know more than the average med student about back pain but I am no expert. I hope the MRI shows improvement and you can get some relief from the back pain as it really can be debilitating.

Just don't go too crazy with the weight training
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Finally recieved the results of mt MRI:

Findings: Vertebral bodies are intact. Allignment is within normal limits.

Mild generalized disc bulge at L2-L3 no significant central canal stenosis. Mild narrowing of right neural foramina. Mild to moderate narrowing of left neural foramina.

Mild generalized sic bulge at L3-L4 with no significant central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

Mild to moderate generalized disc bulge at L4-L5. There is encroachment upon the lateral recesses which is further aggravated by facet osteoarthritic change. there may be mild compression on the traversing L5 nerve roots. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

Minimal generalized disc bulge at L5-S1. This enroached upon the lateral recesses and may slightly compress the traversing S1 nerve roots. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal stenosis.

Impressions: Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease as described. No central canal stenoisis.
      kane@controlledlabs.com
      Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
      Looks for the ads, coming soon!
      www.controlledlabs.com
      www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Mild generalized disc bulge at L2-L3 no significant central canal stenosis. Mild narrowing of right neural foramina. Mild to moderate narrowing of left neural foramina.

Mild generalized sic bulge at L3-L4 with no significant central canal stenosis. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

Mild to moderate generalized disc bulge at L4-L5. There is encroachment upon the lateral recesses which is further aggravated by facet osteoarthritic change. there may be mild compression on the traversing L5 nerve roots. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

Minimal generalized disc bulge at L5-S1. This enroached upon the lateral recesses and may slightly compress the traversing S1 nerve roots. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal stenosis.

Impressions: Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease as described. No central canal stenoisis.
        I am amazed with the amount of degenerative disc disease, I have 3 buddies that have it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
          I am amazed with the amount of degenerative disc disease, I have 3 buddies that have it.
          Do they have to avoid any specific lifts?
          I'm going to start introducing fron squats again... though very light probably 95lbs at most and feel it out.
          kane@controlledlabs.com
          www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Lack of central canal stenosis is good news . . . how are the symptoms?
            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
              Lack of central canal stenosis is good news . . . how are the symptoms?
              october and november was pretty bad. Pain shooting down my left leg almost constantly. Usually it was to the back of the leg though...later on it was more of a chronic pain to the outside of my leg and hip though it doesn't go pass my knee. When I was moving about or walking on a treadmill and stretching afterwards would give some relief for a few hours. This motivated me to go in twice per day during those 2 months.
              Since I've taken it easy on legs and been very careful only symptoms are some stiffness in lowerback.
              kane@controlledlabs.com
              www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Do they have to avoid any specific lifts?
                I'm going to start introducing fron squats again... though very light probably 95lbs at most and feel it out.
                Nothing out of the ordinary besides if it hurts, don't do it. No real restrictions that they mentioned. They are dropping the weight and doing mroe reps.

Comment

october and november was pretty bad. Pain shooting down my left leg almost constantly. Usually it was to the back of the leg though...later on it was more of a chronic pain to the outside of my leg and hip though it doesn't go pass my knee. When I was moving about or walking on a treadmill and stretching afterwards would give some relief for a few hours. This motivated me to go in twice per day during those 2 months.
                  Since I've taken it easy on legs and been very careful only symptoms are some stiffness in lowerback.
                  That's definitely an improvement. I'm glad to hear things are getting better

Comment

Working...
                  X