Ruptured Disc Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruptured Disc Question

I have a ruptured disc that is killin me at the moment. It hits me about once every year or 2. well. Now I workout every 48 hours and wanted to know if lifting is a bad thing??? It doesn't seem to make it any worse. But I don't wanna damage it further.

Also, Is there any "home remedies" that may help with pain and the bulging disc??

I have Loratabs and an anti inflamitory med that is just not doing a whole lot.

Any advice would rawk!!

Well fist off I would check with a doctor and find out what limitations they would have. A doctor or physical therapist can give you exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles and even help with the relief of the pain.

The pain meds and anti-inflammatory medicine may not be working as you may be lifting in a way that is irritating the injury, another reason to see the doctor and a physical therapist.

The problem is that with a ruptured disk you run the possibility of causing nerve damage.

Sorry I could not be more help but when it comes to injuries to the back. neck, or spine I am overly cautious and I think rightly so.
    Last edited by ddawg91; 08-17-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Check with your doc.

In the meantime, go easy with the squats, deadlifts and overhead presses as those are the exercises that stress the lumbar region.

Comment

Right on!! Thanks.

Yeah, I have to get an MRI now. It is just a constant dull pain. I am gonna only bench and curl. Plus work on the legs a lil til I am back up full throttle.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Although no ruptures (yet) I have two dessicated discs (think bulge like herniated, but inwards...pressing against the spinal cord). I am just recently getting back into the gym...about two months now...coming off a six month hiatus due to my last episode.

My orthopaedic surgeon has told me I can lift, but only machines that don't target lower back areas and light to medium DB excercises. Maybe you could try something along these lines?

After two months, I'm nowhere near where I was before I hurt my back, but I can see results...it's just very slow going when you have to lift starting out with 25 to 45 lb DBs.

I was nervous at first, but since things are going well, I pick the intensity up a little more every week.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
            Well fist off I would check with a doctor and find out what limitations they would have. A doctor or physical therapist can give you exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles and even help with the relief of the pain.

The pain meds and anti-inflammatory medicine may not be working as you may be lifting in a way that is irritating the injury, another reason to see the doctor and a physical therapist.

The problem is that with a ruptured disk you run the possibility of causing nerve damage.

Sorry I could not be more help but when it comes to injuries to the back. neck, or spine I am overly cautious and I think rightly so.
            Good advice by ddawg It's impossible to give you informed advice without seeing an MRI, getting a full history, and doing a physical exam. Therefore, the best advice will come from your doc who will get all that info. In the meantime be careful and avoid anything that puts stress on your back and triggers your symptoms. Good luck with your disc.
            Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Great timing on this thread.... Have had to layoff abit. Messed up my shoulders and then have been hitting lower body three days per week. So now my lower back is acting up. A couple years ago this was the report after a CT scan....

Any suggestions?

L3-4:
              Mild disc bulge. Hypertrophy of the facet joints and ligamentum flavium causing mild to moderate spinal stenosis which may be partially congenital as well.

L4-5:
              There is mild to moderate diffuse disc bulge with facet OA and hypertrophy and ligamentum hypertrophy causing severe spinal stenosis.

L5-S1
              Moderate disc protrusion with a more focal central component which compresses the thecal sac. Mild facet OA and hypertrophy which together with the disc protrusion causes additional compression of the thecal sac due to spinal stenosis which is at least moderate.

SUMMARY:
              Spinal stenosis at all levels which appears partly congenital and partly aqquired and is severe at L4-5 associated with disc bulge. Disc protrusion and spinal stenosis at L5-S1 causing severe compression of the thecal sac at this level as well.
              kane@controlledlabs.com
              Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
              Looks for the ads, coming soon!
              www.controlledlabs.com
              www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

What can be safe lifting?

Bench, Curls leg press, and treadmill is what I am doing now.

Are there other safe lifts I can use while I am dealing with this?

Should I avoid anything over my head??

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
                  Great timing on this thread.... Have had to layoff abit. Messed up my shoulders and then have been hitting lower body three days per week. So now my lower back is acting up. A couple years ago this was the report after a CT scan....

Any suggestions?
                  From what I have seen in my short time on neurosurgery history and symptoms are key. If you have a bulge but are not experienceing symptoms (slectric shock like pain shooting down the leg, decrease in strength, decrease in sensation) then there is no need for surgery. Surgery will most likley not help "back pain" surgery is done to decompress the spinal cord so that you do not lose function of your nerves in the spinal cord. That being said if you are worried about it it's best to go to your doc b/c the physical exam and updated imaging is helpful.
                  Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedbuilder

First take a look at my reply above to timberwolf. The pain that we are worried about is pain that shoots down the leg as opposed to "back pain". As for exercises I think it's best to let pain be your guide . . . if it hurts don't do it. You have to be careful b/c pain meds and antiinflammatories can mask the pain. As for the lifts you listed . . . depending on how the curls are done you can be placing stress on your back, I would avoid running as the impact of the feet translates up to the spine (swimming would be ideal, but an eliptical trainer would probably be better), avoiding over head lifts is probably a good idea. Again I do not know how severe your back issues are so those suggestions might be overkill or you made need even more restrictions. You should ask your doc for a physical therapy referral if he/she can't tell you what exercises are safe. Your doc can offer much better advice than I so check with him/her if you can. Best of luck.

Comment

As always, thanks for the imput Dr Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
                        From what I have seen in my short time on neurosurgery history and symptoms are key. If you have a bulge but are not experienceing symptoms (slectric shock like pain shooting down the leg, decrease in strength, decrease in sensation) then there is no need for surgery. Surgery will most likley not help "back pain" surgery is done to decompress the spinal cord so that you do not lose function of your nerves in the spinal cord. That being said if you are worried about it it's best to go to your doc b/c the physical exam and updated imaging is helpful.
                        Thank you for the input.
                        I used to have some numbness shooting down left leg but not this time. More just pain and stiffness...
                        kane@controlledlabs.com
                        www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                          As always, thanks for the imput Dr Dave!

Originally posted by timberwolf
                          Thank you for the input.
                          I used to have some numbness shooting down left leg but not this time. More just pain and stiffness...
                          No problem guys, I'm glad to share my thoughts anytime

Comment

An MRI has been scheduled for me in 6-8 weeks.
                            Today I was prescribed arthrotec 75 along with novo- cyclopine 10mg.

Any thoughts on these?
                            kane@controlledlabs.com
                            www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedbuilder

Really anything that puts stress on your back will be something to avoid. However, saying that, you could do something like bend over to tie your shoes and experience a problem. Dr. hit it dead on with "pain is your guide". Scale of 1-10, how bad is whatever you do? Go by that, get the exam done and get the problem fixed. Ruptures/bulges/herniated are no fun and easily fucked up. Joints are one thing, your back, entirely different animal and obviously MUCH more important. Good luck on it.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                              Purple Wraath
                              Green Magnitude
                              Orange Triad
                              White Flood
                              Blue Up
                              100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                              US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...