thoughts on "cross fit" training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on "cross fit" training

One of my buddies has been really into following the cross fit workout www.crossfit.com. It seems interesting as it packs a pretty good workout into a short amount of time. Although it is quite different from what I am used to. Anyone tried it?

I may try adding one day of that a week to give it a try
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
    One of my buddies has been really into following the cross fit workout www.crossfit.com. It seems interesting as it packs a pretty good workout into a short amount of time. Although it is quite different from what I am used to. Anyone tried it?

I may try adding one day of that a week to give it a try
    I hope he isn't a crossfit "affiliate"

Looks fine for general fitness
    Last edited by pu12en12g; 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
      I hope he isn't a crossfit "affiliate"

Looks fine for general fitness
      nah, he's not.
      He tends to do alot of olympic style lifts and adds their stuff in as well
      Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

It has potential all depends on your goals.

Comment

some of their workouts sounded interesting

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
          Bench press: body weight
          Clean: 3/4 body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time.
          doing that for time could be tough . . . I think I might try it sometime just for a change . . . not to replace my regular routine

Comment

some of their workouts sounded interesting

doing that for time could be tough . . . I think I might try it sometime just for a change . . . not to replace my regular routine
            Have you tried DC Training at all ?

Comment

Originally posted by pu12en12g
              Have you tried DC Training at all ?
              nope. I had not heard of it until you brought it up. I looked it up and it sounds like it has potential. Have you tried it?

Comment

nope. I had not heard of it until you brought it up. I looked it up and it sounds like it has potential. Have you tried it?
                I'm experimenting with it once or twice per week... though not following the entire program.

Here's some crossfit type workout we did today....
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EmybKySV4A

clapping pullups (just 8 reps though)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TNS1d4r3ao

and power snatch....
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LaMxi0rYeo

In between we would do wind sprints of 100m or 50m.
                Last edited by timberwolf; 07-29-2007, 01:46 AM.
                kane@controlledlabs.com
                Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                www.controlledlabs.com
                www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
                  I'm experimenting with it once or twice per week... though not following the entire program.

Here's some crossfit type workout we did today....
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EmybKySV4A

clapping pullups (just 8 reps though)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TNS1d4r3ao

and power snatch....
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LaMxi0rYeo

In between we would do wind sprints of 100m or 50m.
                  That looked like a good workout, how many times did you go through each of those? I agree that it would be interesting to add something like that or the DC training PT mentioned once a week or so. A good way to keep the body from adapting to ones workout.
                  Last edited by Dr.Dave1; 07-29-2007, 07:05 AM.

Comment

That looked like a good workout, how many times did you go through each of those? I agree that it would be interesting to add something like that or the DC training PT mentioned once a week or so. A good way to keep the body from adapting to ones workout.
                    Well...was mostly goofing around but...
                    began with 3 circuits of complexes (overhead squat, press, power nsatch, bent over row, deads with just the bar for sets of 10).
                    Then on the 200m track alternated walking with 100 and 50m sprints for a total of 6 laps. Did power about 5 sets of power snatches. Repeated the sprints. Went to the football post. Crossed that twice and then did the clapping pullups and abs. Repeated the sprins.
                    kane@controlledlabs.com
                    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                    Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                    www.controlledlabs.com
                    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Working...
                    X