No announcement yet.

Sprinting - the ultimate cadio workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinting - the ultimate cadio workout?

Found these to be very interesting, give them a read then discuss.

Part 1:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm

Part 2:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par48.htm
    Last edited by ddawg91; 06-29-2007, 02:00 AM.

Originally posted by ddawg91
    discuss
    Yep ! <--- good too

Comment

I find hitting a heavy bag to be a hard workout too, up there with basketball / sprinting / jumprope

Comment

As great as sprinting is, HIIT, etc, the fact of the matter is that sprinters don't just sprint. You don't get built like Micheal Johnson and shatter world records just due to sprinting. You know he and all the best sprints are pounding the weights, squats, deadlifts, leg extensions and curls, etc. As a solo exercise, I wouldn't choose that first. As a complementary one though, yes.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
        Purple Wraath
        Green Magnitude
        Orange Triad
        White Flood
        Blue Up
        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
          As great as sprinting is, HIIT, etc, the fact of the matter is that sprinters don't just sprint. You don't get built like Micheal Johnson and shatter world records just due to sprinting. You know he and all the best sprints are pounding the weights, squats, deadlifts, leg extensions and curls, etc. As a solo exercise, I wouldn't choose that first. As a complementary one though, yes.

Excatly, this is not an end all exercise but the better form of cardio over long sustained jogging.

Comment

i'd choose the sprinter over a distance runner anyday ... their more muscular.

Comment

Originally posted by jdiritto
              i'd choose the sprinter over a distance runner anyday ... their more muscular.
              A common HIT argument too ... less time, more intensity = bigger muscles

Comment

Definately can be a great/hard workout, depending on how hard you push yourself. If you know your going to run 5 sprints do you really push yourself as hard as you can on the first one, or do you save up your energy to know for sure you will be able to do 5 sprints?
                Have you ever looked at the bodies of soccer players? Most guys have big quads....which I do enjoy....and from my experience girls can loose a lot of fat and develop their legs as well, however there is a lot of jogging as well inbetween all the sprinting

Comment

For the last 4 weeks actually I've incorporated sprints.
                  There's a 200m track at the highschool beside my house.
                  I start off with walking 1 lap followed by a 200m sprint. I repeat this and then follow it up with 2x 100m sprints with 1 lap walk inbetween. I end it with 2-4 50m sprints.
                  kane@controlledlabs.com
                  Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
                  Looks for the ads, coming soon!
                  www.controlledlabs.com
                  www.controlledlabsforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan

Actually, some of the fastest ever sprinters have used Charlie Francis' training methods where he only recommends weights as stimulus to the CNS after a sprint workout. To do these lifting workouts only takes about 15 minutes right after a speed session.

Comment

Originally posted by earlyriser73
                      Actually, some of the fastest ever sprinters have used Charlie Francis' training methods where he only recommends weights as stimulus to the CNS after a sprint workout. To do these lifting workouts only takes about 15 minutes right after a speed session.
                      In 86 or 87 I used to workout at York University Track Centre and would see Ben Johnson working out there as well. His workouts were pretty brief from what I remember but I didn't think only 15 min. Charlie Francis was working out at my gym a couple years ago as well.
                      kane@controlledlabs.com
                      www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolf
                        In 86 or 87 I used to workout at York University Track Centre and would see Ben Johnson working out there as well. His workouts were pretty brief from what I remember but I didn't think only 15 min. Charlie Francis was working out at my gym a couple years ago as well.
                        Thats pretty cool. I have some spreadsheets on stuff Ben Johnson did. He would clean or squat and bench most of the time. Usually work up to a heavy 3x3 or something close to that. CF has his athletes do a lot of med ball work and plyo's also aswell as tempo running and core work on 'low' days. I know Charlie said Ben did his own 'beach muscle workouts' some days.
                        Last edited by earlyriser73; 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlyriser73
                          Thats pretty cool. I have some spreadsheets on stuff Ben Johnson did. He would clean or squat and bench most of the time. Usually work up to a heavy 3x3 or something close to that. CF has his athletes do a lot of med ball work and plyo's also aswell as tempo running and core work on 'low' days. I know Charlie said Ben did his own 'beach muscle workouts' some days.
                          I remember an exercise I saw Ben Johnson and other sprinters do often was a single legged leg press on the universal apparatus but facing the other direction...similar to a reverse kick.
                          kane@controlledlabs.com
                          www.controlledlabs.com

Comment

that sounds badass... the leg press is awsome .. can't replace squats, deadlifts, etc. but its a great compliment to add variety.

Single leg calf raises are my fav. on a sled.

Comment

Working...
                            X