My 'Over-Training' Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 'Over-Training' Split

At the suggestion of DDawg, I'm posting my split. As the title suggests, it's a high-volume and relatively detailed split. I got it from my dad (he's 52 and has been doing it for 3 straight years) and have made a few variations. I say that because it helps explain some of the peculiar variations you will see later, especially when doing chest and shoulders. The routine is a push/pull split, with shoulder work being on its own day and leg days in between upper body. It does not cycle = each day of week is designated. Well, here it goes:
    Mon: Back/Lats/Bis
    Tues: Legs/Mini-Shoulder (about 60% full shoulder)
    Wed. Chest/Tris
    Thurs: Legs/Bis
    Fri: Shoulders
    Sat: Off
    Sunday: Chest/Tris

Core/Cardio: I try to do a little core work and cardio every day, but end up at about 3-4 times/week. I've been skipping cardio lately cause I haven't had time, and I tell myself I'm bulking so I don't need to do it.

(Note: For simplicity's sake, I'm not going to be listing all my weights for each exercise. I follow this principle: I increase one "weight increment" each set, with the goal that I'm barely able to complete that last rep on my last set. A "weight increment" changes depending on which exercise. For dumbell curls = 5 lbs, dumbell military presses = 10 lbs., etc. For machines it tends to be one pin-hole lower (sometimes 5 or 10 lbs.). I'm aiming at pyramiding my weight up while maintaining my target rep range. As I get stronger, the weight I start with increases, and so forth.)

Monday: Backs/Lats/Bis (I do my rowing motions (back) before pull-downs (lats) and that's why I call it Backs/Lats)

Back
    One-armed Bandits (Single DB Row) 3x8
    Bent-Over Rows w/ Smith Machine (Inside Grip) 3x8
    Bent-Over Rows w/ Smith Machine (Outside Grip) 3x8
    T-Bar Rows (Wide Grip) 4x8
    Superset A X3 [Seated Cable Row x8 + Seated Back Row Machine (Inside Grip) x8]
    Superset B X3 [Inclined Cable Rows x8 + Seated Back Row Machine (Outside Grip) x8]

Lats
    Superset C X3 [Lat Pull-Down (Wide Grip) x8 + Straight-arm Pull-downs w/ straight bar x8]
    Superset D X3 [Behind-Head Pull Down x8 + Straight-arm Pull-downs w/ rope x8]
    Lat Pull-down (Close-Grip) 3x8
    Lat Pull-down (Underhand) 3x8
    Rotary Lat Pull-down Machine Single arm 2x8
    Rotary Lat Pull-down Machine Both arms 2x8
    Bent-arm Pull-over Machine 4x8
    Bent-arm Dumbell Pull-over 2x8

Bis
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8
    21s 3x21
    Inclined Dumbell Curls (Both at same time, not alternating) 3x8
    Standing EZ Curl Bar (Inside frip) 3x8
    Preacher Curl (Inside grip) 3x8
    One-armed Concentration Curls w/ Cables 3x8
    Overhead Cable Curls 4x8 (till failure really)

My Bi routine is a work in progress. Sometimes I add standing DB curls, Zottmans, or do EZ Bar curl instead of BB because I have forearm and elbow problems.

There is an overall method to my madness. I like to do more compound/power/overall exercises and then hit immediately with a isolation exercise. I feel like the first exercise rushes blood to the area, and the second really shapes the muscle.

This took me a while, and if people are interested I'm more than willing to put the rest of my routine. I especially think my Chest and Shoulder routines are kick-ass, though I'm pretty lost when it comes to legs. I've recently added an Olympic lifting class on leg days, and that's been a fun change of pace. Please critique/flame me because my mind tells me I'm overtraining. It's just that I enjoy running my ass ragged in the gym and feel like I've gotten good results from this.
    Wrist wraps fix everything.

Sweet, the US Government just paid me 10$ to write that

Comment

wow
      jdouchebag for president

Comment

WOW!

Let me read over this abit and I will work with you on revamping your program. If you do not want to pos tthe rest here, you can either email or PM me the rest. Way to much exercies going on.
        Last edited by ddawg91; 06-15-2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
          WOW!

Let me read over this abit and I will work with you on revamping your program. If you do not want to pos tthe rest here, you can either email or PM me the rest. Way to much exercies going on.
          Thanks, I do appreciate it and I'll work on posting some of my other things (busy day at work today).

Comment

So do you want to stick with the current schedule and routine and just refine it or what would you like to do?

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
              So do you want to stick with the current schedule and routine and just refine it or what would you like to do?
              Thanks for the follow-up ddawg. I like the schedule, but I have definitely been feeling the fatigue lately. After twinging my rotator cuff bench pressing I took off from my schedule and for the last two weeks have just been doing my Olympic Lifting class. I've definitely felt better dropping the intensity and volume. I'm leaning towards keeping the schedule because I like it, but would like to refine my routine so I don't feel like I'm just wearing myself down all the time. I'll try to post my push routine today.

Comment

It's been a good while coming but here it is:

Wednesday/Sunday: Chest/Tris

Chest:
                Incline DB Bench Press: 8x8 (35, 45, 55, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85)
                Incline Press Machine: 5x8
                Flat DB Bench Press: 8x8 (50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 105, 110)
                Body Press Machine: 5x8
                Fly Machine: 5x8 (This machine is great, really simulates db fly)
                Cable Cross-Over: 3x8 (optional)

Triceps:
                Skullcrushers: 3x8
                French-Press: 3x8
                DB Kickback: 3x8
                Double Rope Press-down: 3x8 (superset vertically and horizontally)
                Single Cable Press-down: 3x8 (superset supanated and pronated)
                Dips: 3x8

Comment

my chest hurts just from reading that

jdouchebag for president

Comment

Originally posted by strester
                    my chest hurts just from reading that

Yeah, but it feels so damn good. Like a good kinda soreness.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                    Purple Wraath
                    Green Magnitude
                    Orange Triad
                    White Flood
                    Blue Up
                    100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                    US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Part of the reason I like to do so many sets is because I feel like it's safer. Going up steadily makes me feel like I'm not doing anything too sudden. Even with warm-ups I get scared when I jump up in weight too fast.

Also, if I start too heavy too fast it seems to sap my strength. For example, on flat db bench, if I start with 50s I can work up into the low 100s. If I start with 80s, I find I have a harder time. Is it me or is this really wierd?

Comment

Originally posted by matt24002
                        Part of the reason I like to do so many sets is because I feel like it's safer. Going up steadily makes me feel like I'm not doing anything too sudden. Even with warm-ups I get scared when I jump up in weight too fast.

Also, if I start too heavy too fast it seems to sap my strength. For example, on flat db bench, if I start with 50s I can work up into the low 100s. If I start with 80s, I find I have a harder time. Is it me or is this really wierd?
                        I'd say proper but perhaps alittle un-necessary extra preparation and warm-ups. Personally, I find if I start heavier, then I have more juice to go on. If I go lower and work up, I feel fatigued later in the reps. Just the way your body works I imagine. And we know, go with what works.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                        Purple Wraath
                        Green Magnitude
                        Orange Triad
                        White Flood
                        Blue Up
                        100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                        US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Ok, I almost have this done, sorry for taking so long. I will have something up in the next day or so!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for sticking with it. I'm pretty excited about focusing my routine. Will enjoy not having to be in gym for 2 1/2 hours every day, too.

Comment

Ok I have it all down but to make it easy (since it looks as if you like a lot of variation) I would basically do 3-4 exercise at 4 sets per part. This gives you a total of 6-8 per workout which is doable and should cut down gym time significantly.

For example:

Back
                              Wide grip pull downs
                              BB Rows
                              DB Rows

BIs
                              BB Curls
                              Incline DB Curls
                              Preacher

Then for your chest/ tris I would break it up like:

Wednesday:
                              Chest:
                              Incline DB
                              Flat DB
                              Fly

TRIs
                              Skull
                              Pressdowns
                              Kickback

Sunday:
                              Chest:
                              Incline Machine
                              Flat Press or Body Press
                              Fly

TRIs
                              French Press
                              Dips
                              One Arm Pressdowns

And then for the leg and shouldres you should be able to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X