Please help me with these scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me with these scenarios

I keep getting confused about fat loss and I just want to get some basic things straight. Let's say i have about 17% body fat and I want to lose as much fat as I can. Please tell me what happens in the following scenarios:

First scenario:
    I go to bed without eating anything or drinking a protein shake. What happens while I sleep? Does fat get burned first and keep getting burned until all fat is gone? or is muscle tissue converted to glycogen for energy at the same time or after a certain point? Basically, how does your body partition energy from different sources (ie. you metabolize 1000 calories of fat and then switch over to muscle, or you burn fat and muscle at the same rate to yield equal amounts of energy, etc)?

Second scenario:
    I want to do some jogging and I have access to protein shakes, food, and PW. What should I do in order to burn as much fat as possible while conserving as much muscle as possible? Should I go running a little after I had a shake/meal and skip the PW? Or can I drink PW to maintain muscle but still burn fat?

And generally, if you exercise your muscles and eat enough protein, you will mainly lose ONLY fat if you lower your calorie intake right?

Thanks
    Last edited by externational; 06-14-2007, 02:21 AM.

Hardcore cardio and dieting will burn muscle as well as fat. That's why I choose to lean bulk all the time, and 'all out bulk' none of the time. Why add 5lbs of muscle and 7lbs of fat when you could just ad 5lbs of muscle and 0lbs of fat? (albeit slower gains)

PW and increased protein will HELP fight muscle breakdown but some will happen regardless of what you do. It's best to take PW pre jogging as well as a protein shake afterwards.

And I'm not sure about the rate of catabolism fat vs. muscle, I would "guess" it's the same.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by externational
      I keep getting confused about fat loss and I just want to get some basic things straight. Let's say i have about 17% body fat and I want to lose as much fat as I can. Please tell me what happens in the following scenarios:

First scenario:
      I go to bed without eating anything or drinking a protein shake. What happens while I sleep? Does fat get burned first and keep getting burned until all fat is gone? or is muscle tissue converted to glycogen for energy at the same time or after a certain point? Basically, how does your body partition energy from different sources (ie. you metabolize 1000 calories of fat and then switch over to muscle, or you burn fat and muscle at the same rate to yield equal amounts of energy, etc)?

Generally you won't exert enough "work" on your body to elicit much response regardless. You're body would probably be in a catabolic state however considering 8+ hours of no intake but still need the body to function. This wouldn't be drastic catabolism though. Some people believe you should eat pre-bed and some don't. Just like some say eat pre-workout, some don't. It's what does your body respond to. Fat and muscle will never breakdown to yield the same energy. Just goes back to fat = 9cal, muscle(proteins) = 4cal. Also, one would burn predominantly over the other. If you don't eat, your body will switch to what it NEEDS to function, proteins, or catabolism.

Second scenario:
      I want to do some jogging and I have access to protein shakes, food, and PW. What should I do in order to burn as much fat as possible while conserving as much muscle as possible? Should I go running a little after I had a shake/meal and skip the PW? Or can I drink PW to maintain muscle but still burn fat?
      Again, refer to prior info. Are you running after fasting all night? If so, how long, how hard do you plan on running? HIIT? Depending on the level of exertion you'll be putting out, that would dictate your plan of recourse. Nothing wrong with taking PW pre-workout on an empty stomach. Generally that plus GM is my pre-workout drink and a shake+meal when I get home. If you eat prior to working out, your body would have to work off the intake before really getting into the fat for energy. While not a bad thing, as you can do this and build muscle, it's just another aveune. Which works for you is how you respond.

And generally, if you exercise your muscles and eat enough protein, you will mainly lose ONLY fat if you lower your calorie intake right?
      No. Your body will not survive on solely protein. You still need a balance and intake of healthy fats and good carbs. As was said, you will burn both regardless. The only variable is HOW MUCH muscle are you burning? Protein will stave it off SOME, but not entirely. Excess calories are required to build muscle, period. While you can do a clean bulk, it will take you awhile. You can do a dirty bulk and you'll gain fat as well as muscle. Since you say you have trouble dropping fat, I'd go clean bulk. Protein shakes with peanut butter, etc etc.
      Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
      Purple Wraath
      Green Magnitude
      Orange Triad
      White Flood
      Blue Up
      100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
      US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment