• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pu12en12g
    General consensus seems to be around 315+
    cool

Originally posted by pu12en12g
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking but was not sure
    I think it's time to get past my free weight bias
    Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

www.pubmed.gov . . . gotta love it

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
      Here are my answers but they maybe different for Mr Aries.

1. I mix my exercises up, I even try to do different one every week. For traps I mix and sometimes do them seperately.
      2. I take around 1-2 minutes
      3. Explosive on some slow on others.
      4. Either after working out or either earlier in the day.
      5. Stick with the basics for mass/strength
      excellent, thanks for the input I guess I will see how things go and tweak it from there once I get a better feel for the workout.

I really appreciate the help guys, it's nice to have the input of such knowledgeable individuals.
      Disclaimer: While I have an M.D. the views I express are not to be taken as medical advice under any circumstances. Please check with your own doctor if you want medical advice as he/she has access to your info and can provide the most accurate advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Dave1
        excellent, thanks for the input I guess I will see how things go and tweak it from there once I get a better feel for the workout.

I really appreciate the help guys, it's nice to have the input of such knowledgeable individuals.
        Any time!

All shoulder lateral movements are slow and controlled never explosive, most of the basic major movements I do explosive, I feel this has given me my best gains and strength.

Comment

Any time!

All shoulder lateral movements are slow and controlled never explosive, most of the basic major movements I do explosive, I feel this has given me my best gains and strength.
          Thanks for the clarification I have done mostly slow/controlled; I will have to try the explosive movement and see how it goes
          I've had probs with my shoulder on DB shoulder press and incline DB bench in the past. It has slipped in the joint . . . not popped out of socket but slipped in the socket. I had an MRI and everything was fine but geeze that hurt like hell. Fortunately, that has not occurred for a long time . . . I think I have sufficiently strengthened my SITS muscles and I am more careful to go slow

Comment

Thanks for the clarification I have done mostly slow/controlled; I will have to try the explosive movement and see how it goes
            I've had probs with my shoulder on DB shoulder press and incline DB bench in the past. It has slipped in the joint . . . not popped out of socket but slipped in the socket. I had an MRI and everything was fine but geeze that hurt like hell. Fortunately, that has not occurred for a long time . . . I think I have sufficiently strengthened my SITS muscles and I am more careful to go slow
            What angle are you doing on inclines?

Comment

What angle are you doing on inclines?
              hmmmm . . . that's a good question. More than 30 but less than 45 . . . ?

Comment

hmmmm . . . that's a good question. More than 30 but less than 45 . . . ?
                Break out the Protractor, DR..
                If you have to cheat to win, why bothering playing..

Comment

holy moly that's a lot of questions..

I do almost everything explosively, as power = force x speed... More power = more strength.. more strength eventually equates to bigger muscles and better response to training..

I rest around 3 minutes between sets to prime myself for the next set. It's what I'm comfortable with.

I do cardio sometimes right after working out, sometimes separated by a few hours in between.. I have not noticed much of a difference between the two methods.

I switch exercises at times, but the main core of exercises rarely change.. I don't alter my training methods much, as it is 99% low reps + heavy weights whether it's on season or off season.

I rarely change the time I workout.. It's almost always between 5-8.. Those hours I've discovered is when I perform at my best.
                  www.elitefitsystems.com

Now with CL and all your other favorites

Comment

Originally posted by House72

Break out the Protractor, DR..
                    good idea I'll throw one in my workout bag for tomorrow morning

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Aries
                      holy moly that's a lot of questions..

I do almost everything explosively, as power = force x speed... More power = more strength.. more strength eventually equates to bigger muscles and better response to training..

I rest around 3 minutes between sets to prime myself for the next set. It's what I'm comfortable with.

I do cardio sometimes right after working out, sometimes separated by a few hours in between.. I have not noticed much of a difference between the two methods.

I switch exercises at times, but the main core of exercises rarely change.. I don't alter my training methods much, as it is 99% low reps + heavy weights whether it's on season or off season.

I rarely change the time I workout.. It's almost always between 5-8.. Those hours I've discovered is when I perform at my best.
                      LOL sorry . . . I get a bit to focused on details at times

I appreciate the clarifications, it helps give me a better idea of how to approach the workout. I figure it's best to ask the guys who know what's happening. It's hard to argue with the results you have attained through your hard work

Comment

Well I started the new routine today so i thought I would post what I did and how it went. All in all I had a great workout. Only prob was my left elbow was bothering me so I had to take it semi-easy . I decided to combine 2 days worth b/c I will be out of town this weekend and I wanted to try all the lifts this week,which only left 3 days to try 5 days worth of exercises.

lifts w/ an "*" were lifts I had not done before

Chest
                        • DB incline bench 80, 90, 95, 100 . . . I think I might try smith machine next time; I just did DBs to help save time since I have not tried smith machine for incline press yet and have to figure out how to set it up
                        • Flat DB bench 100, 110, 120
                        • *incline DB flyes 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 . . . I satarted at low weight since I have had probs w/ shoulder before and had not done this movement previously. By the end I figured it out and will move up the weight next time but still be cautious
                        • weighted dips BW, 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates
                        • *machine flyes 80, 90, 100

Back/traps
                        • *Stiff legged deads 1 plate, 1plate +25s, 2 plates, 2 plates +25s
                        • *bent over BB rows (I know you said deads or this, I wanted to try both) 1 plate, 1 plate +15s, 1 plate + 25s
                        • pull ups narrow grip BW + 1 plate, narrow grip BW + 2 plates; wide grip BW + 1 plate, wide grip BW + 2 plates
                        • *cable rows 150, 180, 210
                        • 1 arm DB rows 95, 105, 115
                        • *smith machine shrugs 2 plates, 2 plates + 25s, 3 plates, 3 plates + 25s

As I said all in all I thought it went pretty well considering most of the lifts I had not done before. My chest exercise were somewhat limited by the pain I was having in my elbow (I probably should have skipped chest today but I am a stubborn . . . I'm a bad patient)
                        I am glad that I tried the deads . . . I read the top deadlift mistakes post and I think it helped me avoid mistakes, it was very helpful.

I think tomorrow I will double up again w/ legs and shoulders and then do arms and abs on friday so I can get everything in before I leave town. I will go back to the suggested splits next week when I can spread it over 5 days as opposed to 3 days.

Comment

Well I started the new routine today so i thought I would post what I did and how it went. All in all I had a great workout. Only prob was my left elbow was bothering me so I had to take it semi-easy . I decided to combine 2 days worth b/c I will be out of town this weekend and I wanted to try all the lifts this week,which only left 3 days to try 5 days worth of exercises.

lifts w/ an "*" were lifts I had not done before

Chest
                          • DB incline bench 80, 90, 95, 100 . . . I think I might try smith machine next time; I just did DBs to help save time since I have not tried smith machine for incline press yet and have to figure out how to set it up
                          • Flat DB bench 100, 110, 120
                          • *incline DB flyes 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 . . . I satarted at low weight since I have had probs w/ shoulder before and had not done this movement previously. By the end I figured it out and will move up the weight next time but still be cautious
                          • weighted dips BW, 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates
                          • *machine flyes 80, 90, 100

Back/traps
                          • *Stiff legged deads 1 plate, 1plate +25s, 2 plates, 2 plates +25s
                          • *bent over BB rows (I know you said deads or this, I wanted to try both) 1 plate, 1 plate +15s, 1 plate + 25s
                          • pull ups narrow grip BW + 1 plate, narrow grip BW + 2 plates; wide grip BW + 1 plate, wide grip BW + 2 plates
                          • *cable rows 150, 180, 210
                          • 1 arm DB rows 95, 105, 115
                          • *smith machine shrugs 2 plates, 2 plates + 25s, 3 plates, 3 plates + 25s

As I said all in all I thought it went pretty well considering most of the lifts I had not done before. My chest exercise were somewhat limited by the pain I was having in my elbow (I probably should have skipped chest today but I am a stubborn . . . I'm a bad patient)
                          I am glad that I tried the deads . . . I read the top deadlift mistakes post and I think it helped me avoid mistakes, it was very helpful.

I think tomorrow I will double up again w/ legs and shoulders and then do arms and abs on friday so I can get everything in before I leave town. I will go back to the suggested splits next week when I can spread it over 5 days as opposed to 3 days.
                          Nice workout! There is nothing wrong with doing bent over rows and deads in the same workout.

Comment

Ok so here is another update on my continuing attempt at the new routine. TOday I combined shoulders and legs again due to the necessity to condense 5 days into 3 . . . I'm looking forward to only doing one days worth tomorrow

Shoulders
                            • DB shoulder press 65, 75, 80 (I think I might add military press next time even though these 2 are similar as the shoulder routine was kinda short)
                            • front raises 35, 40, 45
                            • lateral raises 25, 30, 35
                            • rear delt 25, 30, 35

Legs
                            • squats 2 plates, 2 plates +20s, 2 plates +30s . . . slightly pulled my quads (vastus medialis maybe hard to say exactly where the pain is localized) in both legs on the last set @ 3 reps so I cut it short
                            • leg press skipped due to quad pull
                            • leg extension (1 leg at a time) 90, 95, 100, 110
                            • leg curl (1 leg at a time) 60, 65, 70
                            • smith machine calf raises on block 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates

Overall pretty good workout. I think I should have listened to ddawg and done leg extension 1st; I might have avoided the quad pull . . . at least its not a severe pull, I should be fine by next week
                            Any suggestions for more shoulder exercises 4 seems like too few . . . not that I know. I was thinking of doing MP next time as I mentioned any other suggestions or is that enough?

On a side note I am definitely feeling yesterday's workout . . . gotta love that soreness, it shows I got a good workout

Comment

You skipped leg press but still did leg ext? I would thik tha twould really pull on your quad injury. Do you do any stretching or warm up for legs?

I do leg ext 2 times in a workout, the first is just warm up, then the second time is for workout. The warm up is high reps low weight.

I would add in MPs also, when I do jsut one or th eother I feel that it doesn't do enough.

Comment

You skipped leg press but still did leg ext? I would thik tha twould really pull on your quad injury. Do you do any stretching or warm up for legs?

I do leg ext 2 times in a workout, the first is just warm up, then the second time is for workout. The warm up is high reps low weight.

I would add in MPs also, when I do jsut one or th eother I feel that it doesn't do enough.
                                Interestingly leg extension did not bother it, I rotated my leg a little (as you can hit different portions of the quad that way) and leg ext did not bother me. I tried leg press afterwards w/ very low weight (2 plates) and it killed . . . so I decided not to push it. I did stretch before hand and did not have any probs on my 1st 2 sets of squats. I'm not quite sure what I did. Maybe I twisted on the way up or something . . . either way bad Dave!

Cool, I think I will add MP next time, thanks for the advice. Do you do that free standing w/ the barbell or in Smith machine?

Comment

Working...
                                X