Squat help anyone? please :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From your second pic it looks like your stance may be too wide and,

From your fourth pic it looks like you're falling forward (ergo stress on knees)

Do any of you more experienced squatters see the same things? My trainer showed me a nifty technique for getting the right feet-width on a squat. First, he recommends squatting on a 5lb. plate unless you have the right kind of shoes (100% flat soles) because the small plate compensates for the arch and give that most shoes have (I lift in NB cross-trainers). Stand with the insides of your shoes touching eachother and place the two discs on the outside of your shoes, at the widest point. You'll find that this results in a more narrow stance than the one in your pics. I've always had hard time with powerlifter-stance squats (really wide).
    Wrist wraps fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by larsons
      Alrighty I finally got ahold of a camera. I have 4 pics of me squatting. two front and two side profiles. I've gotten as low until the point of real pain in my knees and groin muscles.

Nice Gear Playa.

Them sandals go hard.

Comment

Don't lurch forward so much, its not good for your lower back.

Think of it as dropping your ass to the ground. Nothing should move except your ass (no homo) goes straight down to the ground while keeping your back straight.

Stance is a little wide but just make sure its comfortable and that you don't lurch forward

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mitchsquatdsl.wvx
        http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump1.htm
        Last edited by RenegadeRows; 06-12-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I put lil 2.5lb Plates under my heels when I squat, seems to help my balance ALOT

Comment

Try placing the bar lower on your traps. This will shorten the lever which will mechanically give you more strength and help your balance. Also as somebody else said the squat must start with the hip rotation. First poke out your ass like a fitness model then continue to rotate your hips as you descend into a seated position the concentrate on pushing through your heels and rotating your hips back to the starting position.
            Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
              First poke out your ass like a fitness model then continue to rotate your hips as you descend into a seated position the concentrate on pushing through your heels and rotating your hips back to the starting position.
              and make sure nobody is standing behind you

Comment

I always volunteer to spot the ladies in the gym( or out of the gym)
                Dont ask for a light load, Ask for a strong back,and also some huge biceps while your asking.

Comment

I'm having some trouble rotating my hips. I also noticed my elbows were facing backwards rather than straight down but that'll change a little if I don't lean so far forward. I'm going to make som changes and post a picture of what I did differently.
                  Football Creed: I am a champion...I train like a champion ...I practice like a champion....I live like a champion...And now I vow to play like a champion...As a champion I have pride...And will not tolerate doing less than my best...The only reason I will accept defeat...Is if my best isn't as good as my opponents... I vow to do everything tonight...In a way so that win or lose...My parents will be proud of me...My coaches will be proud of me...This team will be proud of me...But most of all...I will be proud of myself...I will never quit...Regardless of the score...because a champion never quits...I promise to be aggressive...to execute...to hustle...to HIT! HIT! HIT!

Comment

I'm having some trouble rotating my hips. I also noticed my elbows were facing backwards rather than straight down but that'll change a little if I don't lean so far forward. I'm going to make som changes and post a picture of what I did differently.
                    Holding the bar too wide will affect the position of your elbows, too. I wasn't able to use a narrower grip for a while becuase I had no traps and it felt like that damned bar was digging into my spine. Once I developed a little more "padding" the proper grip was easier, and I wasn't angry at the bar anymore.

And I really do recommend that plate trick I talked about. It helps you easily line up right (with your feet that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Obeast
                      Try placing the bar lower on your traps. This will shorten the lever which will mechanically give you more strength and help your balance. Also as somebody else said the squat must start with the hip rotation. First poke out your ass like a fitness model then continue to rotate your hips as you descend into a seated position the concentrate on pushing through your heels and rotating your hips back to the starting position.
                      Repped, and not just cause he agreeed w/ me

Comment

Okay..took some new pictures but nothing changed a lot..I'm still not getting parallel and leaning way too far forward. I did move the bar back a little farther and am working on keeping my elbows facing down.
                        It has to be some small mechanics thing like the rotating of the hips because I can't get back on my butt at all. I'm bending too far, too early.. I hate to keep bothering you guys with one lift but this is the only lift I need help with..the rest of the lifts it's purely just having the balls to outlift everyone else but with squat it's a lot more form. I know you gotta check your ego at the door but it's hard when your pressured to be in a position of leadership.
                        Football Creed: I am a champion...I train like a champion ...I practice like a champion....I live like a champion...And now I vow to play like a champion...As a champion I have pride...And will not tolerate doing less than my best...The only reason I will accept defeat...Is if my best isn't as good as my opponents... I vow to do everything tonight...In a way so that win or lose...My parents will be proud of me...My coaches will be proud of me...This team will be proud of me...But most of all...I will be proud of myself...I will never quit...Regardless of the score...because a champion never quits...I promise to be aggressive...to execute...to hustle...to HIT! HIT! HIT!

Comment

Alright today we did deadlifts and power cleans and after I got all my cores and auxillary's done I was talking to the coaches about my there about my squat because they were all the young coaches so it's easy to go talk to them since they arn't as stubborn as the older ones..well he made me down several variations of squats.. He had me do free squats where I just had my hands out and i did it perfectly...perfect form and everything. Then he had me do it with just the bar..he had me go back and forth doing both several times and he came to the conclusion that my knees change position with weight and that I'm leaning forward even though i'm sticking my chest out..he was dumbfounded..he couldn't figure out how I could correct it..
                          Well the whole time this is going on the sports doctor is on the cardio machine and he comes over and tells me the problem..Like a few of you said I need to focus on the roatating of the hips and pelvis..well he knows my medical history and everything and he tells everyone to point there toes in..well everyone watching points there toes in facing each other and I point mine straight..they don't go in..then he tell them to point them outward and everyone does so and some of got close to 90degrees outward..I got over 180..The doc because of the way my hips are I can't rotate that way, especially with free weights..he went into a long rant about how not everyone is made different and then send me over to the squat machine which I could do perfectly with ease..

So I apologize for wasting all your guys's time but now I know I have to do different squats and i'm just not phyiscally capable of barbell parallel squats..

Comment

also, why does it say Big Pimpin under my name? lol

Comment

also, why does it say Big Pimpin under my name? lol
                              Just be grateful it doesnt say "Schlong Face"

Comment

any tips on getting parallel? or a way to squat parallel without putting so much stress on my knees?
                                Parallel shouldn't be your goal. Your goal should solely be performing this exercise to the best of your ability for max functionality. As it stands, with the way you are doing this, your adductors, hip flexors, quads and hams are all being worked. You will have weak points, and that is where you are stoping. Your stance, while too far forward, looks similar to doing a Sumo Squat. What you can also do is this. Stand with hands hanging to the side. Feet just outside your shoulders, and at 45 degrees. Keep your head straight, looking forward. Slowly start bending into a squat position. As you bend your knees, slowly bring your arms up and forward like a front lat raise to counter balance. Go as far as you can. If you can do this and form is good, add the bar. If still good, add light weights, etc. Form > Function.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
                                Purple Wraath
                                Green Magnitude
                                Orange Triad
                                White Flood
                                Blue Up
                                100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
                                US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Working...