Shoulder Routines for mass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Routines for mass?

I need to pack on some shoulder mass, they're really lacking. Can anyone suggest some good mass building deltoid routines?

Originally posted by adrian andras
    I need to pack on some shoulder mass, they're really lacking. Can anyone suggest some good mass building deltoid routines?
    Overhead press
    Deadlifts
    Lateral Raises

Comment

i don't know if this is exactly safe or not but i just tried this the other day and it felt pretty good.

i used 2 8 pound dumbells, held my arms all the way out, and circulated my hands in circles in both directions for about 8 rotations each way. then i did it with a larger circle and messed around, like trying to put more work into the rear delts. i just figured this would be sorta similar to the load and strain that gymnists have on their shoulders when they use those 2 suspended rings.

Comment

Stick to the basic's. Shoulder Presses, lateral and front delt raises and do not forget rear delts to round em off. Stay with heavy weight and use the pyramid method for overhead presses. What works for me is 2 warm ups x 15 reps. Primers 1 x 15 then 1 x 10. One heavy working set 1 x 5 then a pumper at 1 x 8-12 for all of my lifts only using 3 exercises per body part. And a proper diet high in protein and good carbs for energy.
        Do or do not. There is no try!

Comment

Originally posted by externational
          i don't know if this is exactly safe or not but i just tried this the other day and it felt pretty good.

i used 2 8 pound dumbells, held my arms all the way out, and circulated my hands in circles in both directions for about 8 rotations each way. then i did it with a larger circle and messed around, like trying to put more work into the rear delts. i just figured this would be sorta similar to the load and strain that gymnists have on their shoulders when they use those 2 suspended rings.
          Wouldn't suggest this if you've not done similar exercises in the past. Gymnists can do this because of the built up strength in not only the muscles, but the ligaments and tendons. You could actually be setting yourself up for rotator cuff damage. I'd stick basics. There's a reason they're still the basics.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm 144:1

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

Current Supps:
          Purple Wraath
          Green Magnitude
          Orange Triad
          White Flood
          Blue Up
          100% ON Classic Whey

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Theodore Sturgeon
          US science fiction author (1918 - 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan
            Wouldn't suggest this if you've not done similar exercises in the past. Gymnists can do this because of the built up strength in not only the muscles, but the ligaments and tendons. You could actually be setting yourself up for rotator cuff damage. I'd stick basics. There's a reason they're still the basics.

that's true, thats why you would want to start with a lower weight to gauge yourself. and wow, after trying it a couple times in the last week, i feel like it's given so much more strength to my shoulders. especially when having to stabilize heavier weights for other exercises like bench presses.

Comment

Doesn't seem like much of a "Mass Builder" though.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian andras
                Doesn't seem like much of a "Mass Builder" though.
                well, it'll build all those important shoulder muscles that allow your deltoids to handle the extra weight.

arnold presses are pretty good for mass too

Comment

well, it'll build all those important shoulder muscles that allow your deltoids to handle the extra weight.

arnold presses are pretty good for mass too
                  I usually do Circles (unweighted) for warms ups, but then move on to the heavy stuff
                  Last edited by adrian andras; 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

For overall mass your best bet is always the basics. Any type of pressing movement (except behind the neck), power cleans, shrugs, high pulls, lateral movements, front raises, rear delt movements.

As for a routine, do a range of exercises and reps that work for you (generally around 6-8 reps for 3 working sets). But one thing is for sure, make sure to also do rotator cuff exercises. You may strengthen the muscles around the shoulder but they do not directly strengthen the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by ddawg91
                      For overall mass your best bet is always the basics. Any type of pressing movement (except behind the neck), power cleans, shrugs, high pulls, lateral movements, front raises, rear delt movements.

As for a routine, do a range of exercises and reps that work for you (generally around 6-8 reps for 3 working sets). But one thing is for sure, make sure to also do rotator cuff exercises. You may strengthen the muscles around the shoulder but they do not directly strengthen the joint.
                      I havent really been doing many front raises or lateral raises, here lately when I do them my left wrist starts popping alot

I usually dont have a spot, so for the most part I lift high-rep(6-12reps). But I guess I'll try going higher on the weight and lower on the reps.

"circles" are a good rotator cuff exercise right?

Thanks!

Comment

Personally, I would stay way from the circles, for rotator cuff exercises go here.

http://www.binghamton.edu/athletics/strength/rota.pdf

These are some of the ones we taught in physical thereapy.

For the laterals and front raises they should be controlled movements, not jerking the weight up. So do not go too heavy in which you lose form.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I *personally* like lots of volume and lots of band work. As far as recovery, I go by "feel". I actually had to start going lighter (and higher volume) when I first injured my neck / back (flipped a 4-wheeler in mexico ). Soon after that, I started using bands as well... especially for my rear delts (bands..... not just for powerlifters = spread the word).

Anyways, the lighter weight and higher volume did NOT slow down my shoulder gains as some might expect:

I also recommend single-arm shoulder work, you don't know isolation until you do single arm stuff (even with bands).

Just my $.02 (let me know if any of this works for you)
                          Last edited by pu12en12g; 05-18-2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

all good advice..

imo the link ddawg posted = the shit. used to do it alot for baseball in hs.. easily added velocity and endurance into my shoulder which was crucial for pitching.

i'm also a big fan of dips and chin/pull ups..
                            other than that just do lots of presses.. pushups/wide grip benches every now and then will help toooo

Comment

Here was my workout today, and it was a killer workout.

Modified clean and jerk
                              Dumbell push press
                              plate front raises
                              Modified 1 arm clean and jerk

Comment

Working...
                              X